Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Infinti Car Cover

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 02:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Infinti Car Cover

Hi Guys.

I was wondering if the Car Cover that Infiniti sells is worth the $200+ dollars. I really need a car cover for my car badly.

I live in San Diego and at night its really humid and water easily condenses on any car left in the open. Every morning I see water spots from the previous nights condensation on my car. So, its pretty useless for me to wash my car even though I have a garage full of Zaino and other car care products. And it would have really helped because the wildfires here in SD left a mountain of ash on my car that got into all the little crevases of the car.

Do those who have it: How do you guys like it? Was it worth it?

Is there any other place where I can get one that specifically fits my car?

Thanks.

- Dan

Twilight Blue G35 Coupe 6M/T
Premium - Navi - Aero - Trunk Mat

Old 10-31-2003, 02:52 AM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Infinti Car Cover

We have one for the FX-- very nice quality. It's garaged, though, so we've not used it since the first day...

Why don't you move some of those Zaino products out of your garage and make room for your G [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img] Can you rotate the cars so you're not stuck outside?

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

Old 10-31-2003, 06:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cover did a good job for me during hurricaine ISABEL! Quality is good and fits like a glove!

2003.5 G35C BL/GR, NAV, PREM, AERO, TINT, SPORT, Splash, V1

Old 10-31-2003, 08:00 PM
Deep Sea Moderator

I use mine every day. It keeps the water out and the dust off. If it rains there's usually a puddle near my spoiler. And if it has stopped raining within 30 minutes of me leaving it's dry as a bone. It does fit like a glove and takes up very little room.

Russ

Black w/willow, 6MT Coupe, nav, aero, V1, PS2, & TVs all up in the headrests.
Jax, FL

Old 11-04-2003, 06:13 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club

Mine doesn't seem to keep the rain off. I put the cover on Sunday - car was dry. It rained yesterday and last night and when I took the cover off this morning the car was very wet. I'm leaving it off tonight because I figure that having the water sitting on the car is worse than just having it left unprotected.

Also, regarding the condensation issue, I have the same problem here. This is a large part of the reason that I bought the cover. Only now if I have to leave before around 10:00 in the morning, the cover is soaking wet. Although the cover might repel rain, it does not repel dew. Also, when I take off the cover the car has a film on it as if the moisture has seeped through the cover.

Lasar Red/Willow 2003 5AT Coupe

Old 11-04-2003, 09:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You do not want one that is waterproof, condensation will build up underneath, and then if the sun comes out, it will "cook' those spots into the paint, you'll never get rid of them, so, look for a "water repellant" cover, not a "waterproof", I am not a huge fan of a cover though I've seen too many messed up paint jobs!

Brilliant Silver/Graphite '04 Sedan

Old 11-04-2003, 11:19 PM
Deep Sea Moderator

I didn't know about the condensation problem. Mine only gets used while I'm at work from 6am to 4pm. You need to find that nice garage with a house attached to it like you were talking about.

Russ

Black w/willow, 6MT Coupe, nav, aero, V1, PS2, & TVs all up in the headrests.
Jax, FL

Old 11-05-2003, 03:49 AM

"You do not want one that is waterproof, condensation will build up underneath, and then if the sun comes out, it will "cook' those spots into the paint...."

I disagree with this. I have a $450 custom made cover that is COMPLETELY water proof. It goes all the way to the ground and protects the G from all weather elements. It's heavy as a ho and hard to put on but doesn't scratch the paint and no condensation or water gets underneath, period. (Perhaps it has something to do with the dry climate in Las Vegas, but I made it through the monsoon season quite nicely after getting fed up with the cheasy water-resistant covers.)

The nice thing about it is that it is so heavy even a hurricane won't blow it off.

This cover is made out of the vinyl they use for those low-rider tops and has a soft liner on the inside.

On a side note I had a 4-runner and had a custom cover made out of marine canvas. It sat outside for months at a time, never leaked water and never hurt the paint.

I really don't buy that condensation nonsense for a second. Having a cover that leaks water will screw your paint up much worse when the sun hits and bakes in those pools of water trapped under the cover.

I know $450 is a lot for a car cover, but I have no garage or covered parking and keep my G as perfect as possible. I would save those lighter, more manageable car covers for the dry season.

Believe me, there is no basis for those claims of screwed up paint from waterproof covers. If there was condensation under them, they weren't truly waterproof.

Old 11-05-2003, 04:01 AM

Oh yeah, I have also NEVER seen a waterproof cover sold that was pre-manufactured.

I searched extensively before I went to an upholstery shop to have one made.

Old 11-05-2003, 10:03 AM
G35driver.com Moderator

what if you buy that silicone water-repellant spray that you use on Tents when camping. That stuff is basically like RainX but for waterproofing tents and such. Anybody care to spot-test?

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c 6MT DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust

Old 11-05-2003, 12:39 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club

The only real solution is a garage. I forgot to mention the issue of what do you do with a soaking wet car cover. In order for it to dry you need to put it back on the car, hang it up, or wash & dry it in the dryer. Who wants to put a wet cover on their car & if you don't have a garage chances are you don't have a good place to hang it up. Mine goes into the tub until I have a chance to wash it again.

Found a lot of nice garages, the problem is I can't get my place sold. Know anyone in the market for a nice condo at the beach? I'll throw in a slightly used car cover.

Lasar Red/Willow 2003 5AT Coupe

Old 11-05-2003, 01:04 PM

Are you really at the beach? I bet the dew you get on your car has a lot of salt in it, am I right? Yes, I can't believe people who buy a house with a double or three car garage, and park in the driveway, that's plain nuts!

Old 11-05-2003, 01:19 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

When I lived in Germany, we had a saying about US consumers: Only in America do people park a $40k car in their driveway, and fill their garages with useless crap [img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

My friend does this, actually-- and on purpose. He parks his Merc in his driveway so people see it. Of course, when we had a storm here recently, a branch fell on his roof.

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

Old 11-05-2003, 01:25 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Of course, when we had a storm here recently, a branch fell on his roof.

<hr></blockquote>
Yet another good reason for using the garage![img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-06-2003, 12:15 PM

One problem around here is they make the garages too damn small! I have a 3000 sq ft home built 6 years ago with what is supposed to be a two car garage. With my wife's Town & Country van in there, I'm afraid to park the G in there with it. Its just too tight. And don't tell me to make her park the van outside...she gets home from work at 3:00 a.m. and I'm willing to leave my G in the driveway for security purposes. So now my garage has a van, a golf cart, and tons of my kids' "crap". Anyway, I think the G is much safer outside then taking the chance of being scratched up by bikes, lawnmower, bad parking jobs <winkwink>...

04 5AT Coupe, DG/G, premium
If we weren't all crazy, we'd all go insane!