Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Make it go away!! permanent wiper streaks on the windshield

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 11:51 PM
Brian
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Make it go away!! permanent wiper streaks on the windshield

I did a search but I couldn't find the answer to this one...
How the heck can I get what I call "permanent wiper streaks" cleaned from the outer windshield? My theory is that it's rubber wiper blade residue that builds up. The residue manifests itself when the windshield is wet. I see streaks and the entire wiper path is plain to see because water will just sticks to that area.
I tried Meguiar's Deep Crystal car wash detergent with a microfiber...that didn't help.
I tried Windex with a microfiber...that didn't help.

In fact, I can see what look like water spots on the rest of the windshield (outside the wiper paths). I couldn't get rid of those either. It's really annoying.

So my questions are...
How do I clean the windshield more thoroughly?
How do I prevent this from occuring again?
Is this kind of buildup indicitive of poor quality blades/rubber, or is it just inevitable and I'll have to clean it again?

Does this also mean it's time for new wiper blades? The car is only 13 months old, I don't think the wiper blades have ever been changed (I bought it used 6 months ago).

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Last edited by AthensBlueG; 11-22-2006 at 12:02 AM.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
try some RainX and rub it into the glass very well.

then use some water (distilled preferred) and wipe it off.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:50 AM
btw, it's just the way it is. the rubber leaves some sort of film while it
rubs the glass. same way with all my cars. i dont really like using RainX
all that much but i use it once every couple of months to prolong the
life of the blades.

Old 11-22-2006, 10:26 AM
I wax my windows with whatever wax/polish I use on the paint. It's sometimes hard to get off, but it helps remove the fine scratches in the glass left by the blades. The wax will come off with the next time you wash your car and/or drive in the rain.

Old 11-22-2006, 10:38 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
RainX is your answer. Apply it more often, surface of your glass will stay very smooth and it will allow wipers to fly over it and push the water off instead of trying to scrape the windshield. Put it on and all those lines will disappear in a flash. I do not have your problem but when my RainX wears out then I get this turn abound line from my passenger wiper blade. When it comes to a stop and turns the other way, that is where I get this huge freaking line right in da middle of my windshield. Nothing that a lil of RainX can't handle

Old 11-22-2006, 10:50 AM
The marks you are seeing could either be watermarks or fine scratches in the glass. Fine scratches in the glass come from dirt and other contaminates in the blade that scrape against the glass. There is no easy fix to this besides getting a new windshield. If you have watermarks etched in the glass or contaminates caught in the ridges of the glass you can get rid of them. There is a product called Glass Science Glass Scrub that deep cleans glass like few other products. It releases very difficult contaminates and leaves the glass truly clean. Then I seal the glass with the Glass Science Rain Clear Gel, so the water beads up for a long time. This is a gel based formula which I feel lasts longer and is easier to apply then Rain-X. This kit has both the Glass Scrub and Rain Clear Gel and is $6 or less most places so its worth trying, imo. Also wipe down your windshield wiper blades atleast once a month to help prevent future damage.

Old 11-22-2006, 11:18 PM
Brian
Thanks for all your replies. I ordered the Glass Science Kit today - thanks for the tip, Punchit. Once it arrives in the mail, I'll post BEFORE and AFTER pics of the results. If this plagues all cars, people should know how to remedy this situation, so for other's sake, I'll post the pics. Hopefully Glass Science will do the trick.

Old 11-22-2006, 11:22 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by AthensBlueG
Thanks for all your replies. I ordered the Glass Science Kit today - thanks for the tip, Punchit. Once it arrives in the mail, I'll post BEFORE and AFTER pics of the results. If this plagues all cars, people should know how to remedy this situation, so for other's sake, I'll post the pics. Hopefully Glass Science will do the trick.
that kit will probably do the trick, but goss on motorweek recommends abrasive bathroom cleaner (comet, ajax, bon ami, etc.) made into a paste and rubbed on with a terrycloth. its supposed to get rid of minor pitting too.

Old 11-23-2006, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by speedracerg35
that kit will probably do the trick, but goss on motorweek recommends abrasive bathroom cleaner (comet, ajax, bon ami, etc.) made into a paste and rubbed on with a terrycloth. its supposed to get rid of minor pitting too.
I remember a few years ago, Pat Goss recommended only to use BonAmi Powder on your windshield. the others you mentioned are far to abraisive on glass.

Old 11-23-2006, 09:45 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
FWIW, whenever I come across a car with "wiper stains", I use a chemical cleaner like Klasse AIO or Werkstatt Prime to remove them. This will work on stains, but not on etchings.

Polishing glass to remove etchings and pitting is actually a lot harder than you might think, it requires a very high speed rotary - in most cases it's better to just replace the glass.

Old 11-23-2006, 11:32 AM
Brian
I don't think I have etchings...there really aren't any noticable individual streaks within the wiper path...it's the entire path of the wiper blades that the water sticks to. I think it's more of a residue problem than etching, because I keep the windshield quite clean, it's never been driven in the winter with salt on the roads, and it's only 13 months old.

Old 11-23-2006, 12:52 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Ya, then I'd use a chemical cleaner. If you a have a porter cable apply it with a white pad; the stains will come right off. If you don't have a PC you'll need to use some elbow grease. I've had a few cars lately with those sorts of stains actually, kind of weird. In any event, after using the cleaner just seal the windows like you would the rest of the car and that should help prevent it in the future.

Old 11-23-2006, 07:18 PM
Kevin,

Any particular sealer would you recommend on the windows?

Old 11-23-2006, 09:32 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Not really, as long as it doesn't have any carnauba in it (which will streak). I usually use whatever I use on the paint, by it AJT, Zaino, FMJ, etc.

Old 11-23-2006, 11:04 PM
English dude, English
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get full glass coverage. Then in a month or so, hopefully you will get a rock chip or something.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Make it go away!! permanent wiper streaks on the windshield