Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.
View Poll Results: How, and how often do you wash and wax your G?
Hand wash and wax - Self - At least weekly
30.94%
Hand wash and wax - Self - At least monthly
32.60%
Hand wash and wax - Self - Not very often
7.18%
Hand wash and wax - Commercial - At least weekly
2.76%
Hand wash and wax - Commercial - At least monthly
6.63%
Hand wash and wax - Commercial - Not very often
3.87%
Drive-thru wash and wax - At least weekly
5.52%
Drive-thru wash and wax - At least monthly
6.63%
Drive-thru wash and wax - Not very often
1.66%
Never - I like it dirty
2.21%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Washing and Waxing the G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 04:26 PM
CtK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hand wash at least once a week and full wax job every 6 months

Old 02-07-2007, 04:37 PM
interesting poll, I don't usually reply to these things

Old 02-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by herschelg123
I bought a silver car (aka Liquid Platinum) just so that I would not have to wash it everyday! No more black cars for me! So I plan to wash the car at one of those hand wash commercial places at least once a month.
alamo off nogales i'm assuming? that place is always packed.. I always wash my car myself.. I don't trust'em especially since they don't use microfiber to dry the cars

Old 02-07-2007, 05:04 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Other than in winter, I hand wash my G at least once a week. I use Zaino Z2/Z5 about once a month with Z6 after each wash. I never take my G to a automatic car wash (or at least it is extremely rare). This winter, I have been using QEW, which is a rinseless car wash. I am able to clean my vehicles in the garage without rinsing them down with water.

I recently order over $200 worth of detailing products, so I can't wait for spring!!

Old 02-07-2007, 05:12 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
i try to clean the G at least once every 2 weeks...but schools on now and work...so at least once a month...but its always garaged so it should be okay ^_^

Old 02-07-2007, 05:25 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
Hand wash weekly.

Hand wax with 2-3 coats of Zaino every 6-8 weeks.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:44 PM
hand wash- every week
polish- once a month
full detail- every 6 months

Old 02-07-2007, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by GEE35X
The only problem for me was I don't wax every time I wash . My old body couldn't handle that .
yeah..and most ''commercial'' places dont wax, much less gas stations, as far as I know anyway.

I personally go to a commercial hand wash every week or two, but ultimately I want to be washing and waxing myself...up to now I've done that once a month or so.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by rocaveli
yeah..and most ''commercial'' places dont wax, much less gas stations, as far as I know anyway.

I personally go to a commercial hand wash every week or two, but ultimately I want to be washing and waxing myself...up to now I've done that once a month or so.
I have had my car waxed a number of times at the commercial hand car wash place that is close to me. It is kind of expensive, but they do a good job. Also, I would bet that some people get their cars hand washed and waxed in the parking garages where they work. I would consider this to be a commercial hand wash and wax. Once again, not cheap, but very convenient.

You certainly can get your car waxed at the gas station drive-thru car washes. I think it costs an extra dollar. At the Chevron down the street from me, there are three prices at the drive-thru: $5 for wash only, $6 for wash and a cheap wax, and $7 for wash, a more expensive wax and dry.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:05 PM
For those of you who use the drive thru car washes where they use spinning brushes, aren't you afraid of getting swirl marks?

Old 02-07-2007, 07:42 PM
As of the time of this posting, 30% of those polled say that they "Hand wash and wax - Self - At least weekly". I find that hard to believe, especially since it's winter time, and many of those in this forum are from cold climates... although I might be wrong.... from the "Where are the snow pics" thread, it looks like Garnet Canuck just waxed his car in his snowy driveway :-). The poll needs a selection for just "wash and no wax".

As for me, it's way too cold to wash my car myself during the winter time. In addition, it's hard to wash the car from the bottom (to wash away the salt) in my driveway. I've been fortunate that there's a really good carwash nearby. It's not touchless, but I've used it for years with my previous car and have NEVER had any problems. Before a car drives into the automatic car wash, two people wait in the front of the wash and they "pre-wash" the car with a strong hose and also apply some soap. That ensures that there's no debris in the car before it enters the automatic car wash. Yes, I was quite nervous when I used this car wash at first, but it does a great job, and haven't had any problems in the 7 years I've used it. I actually wash my car more in the winter to get the salt off my car. And in my experience, the easiest way to get the salt out from under the car is to go to the automatic car washers. It's no fun standing out in the cold weather in my driveway trying to wash salt out from under my car. However, when I'm traveling, and am not familiar with the local car washes, I still prefer to use a touchless system.

Old 02-07-2007, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by randman
As of the time of this posting, 30% of those polled say that they "Hand wash and wax - Self - At least weekly". I find that hard to believe, especially since it's winter time, and many of those in this forum are from cold climates... although I might be wrong.... from the "Where are the snow pics" thread, it looks like Garnet Canuck just waxed his car in his snowy driveway :-). The poll needs a selection for just "wash and no wax".

As for me, it's way too cold to wash my car myself during the winter time. In addition, it's hard to wash the car from the bottom (to wash away the salt) in my driveway. I've been fortunate that there's a really good carwash nearby. It's not touchless, but I've used it for years with my previous car and have NEVER had any problems. Before a car drives into the automatic car wash, two people wait in the front of the wash and they "pre-wash" the car with a strong hose and also apply some soap. That ensures that there's no debris in the car before it enters the automatic car wash. Yes, I was quite nervous when I used this car wash at first, but it does a great job, and haven't had any problems in the 7 years I've used it. I actually wash my car more in the winter to get the salt off my car. And in my experience, the easiest way to get the salt out from under the car is to go to the automatic car washers. It's no fun standing out in the cold weather in my driveway trying to wash salt out from under my car. However, when I'm traveling, and am not familiar with the local car washes, I still prefer to use a touchless system.
It's been like over 80 degrees these past couple days. Global warming in action

Old 02-07-2007, 07:51 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by randman

I usually wax my car once a winter in my parent's heated garage. My garage isn't heated so I that's why I go there. I wash my car about once a week myself to get all the salt off. I use QEW and this is how I wash it.
http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-p...?highlight=qew

I started using QEW this winter and I LOVE it!!

Old 02-07-2007, 07:54 PM
I do it as often as it needs it. do a lot of dusting in between washes.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:53 PM
There was no "Dusting/QD weekly" option. I dust and spray my car a few times a week in the summer, sometimes I can go 6-8 weeks between actual washes.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Washing and Waxing the G