Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jibberjabbers
Whats the best way to remove water spots? I just washed my car and it's still there.

It's all over my car and going over them one by one with scrachX is a pain. Even then, you can still see them.
It really depends on what the spots stemmed from. If they are there because of mineral deposits, then you can use a chemical polish to remove them or even something like distilled white vinegar and water would help there. If the spots are actually etched into your paint, then you would need to polish the car to properly remove them. ScratchX may not be aggressive enough for some deeper etchings. Your best bet is to properly polish the car with a buffer, like the PC 7424XP, to get the best results possible.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:35 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I see, I'll try the distilled white vinegar method 1st. Thanks.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am new to the PC 7424 and I am using a m105/205 combo. After finishing down with m205 and spraying IPA to look at the results I always seem to find new scratches. What could I be doing wrong? I also find it difficult to remove the wax residue from the polishes.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:35 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by jibberjabbers
I see, I'll try the distilled white vinegar method 1st. Thanks.
Hopefully that does the trick.

Originally Posted by 626Gthirtyfive
I am new to the PC 7424 and I am using a m105/205 combo. After finishing down with m205 and spraying IPA to look at the results I always seem to find new scratches. What could I be doing wrong? I also find it difficult to remove the wax residue from the polishes.
Depending on how deep the imperfections are, you may need to use a more aggressive pad combo with the M105 or make some more passes over the affected areas. What size pads are you using? The smaller the pad, the better the correction you'll get out of the PC. Sometimes using the PC has a learning curve and you have to try different techniques to get the results you're looking for. Test different pressure, pads, pad sizes, speeds, working area, etc. We can help give general guidelines but different things work for different detailers, which also depends on a variety of other factors, softness of the paint, how well the paint is prepped, climate, working in the sun or shade...

M105 does have a tendency to dry out sooner than M205, but you can try to give a single mist of quick detailer on your pad prior to polishing to help extend the working time and increase lubricity a little. You can also try using a quick detailer on your towel which can help aid in removal.

If you can describe your technique, I can try to help critique your process to hopefully fine tune your results.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:04 PM
Received 272 Likes on 222 Posts
I have Ame Circlar Spec R wheels and Brembo Brakes. The dust on the wheels turns them black in about a week. I have had no time to clean them for almost a month. I finally got some time and realized the that the brake dust actually dried like a rust color on the wheels. If I sit there and rub gently with a tooth brush and soap it eventually comes off. Can you recommend a product that would help remove the caked on brake dust and a way to polish the lips back to full shinyness.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by meister23
I have Ame Circlar Spec R wheels and Brembo Brakes. The dust on the wheels turns them black in about a week. I have had no time to clean them for almost a month. I finally got some time and realized the that the brake dust actually dried like a rust color on the wheels. If I sit there and rub gently with a tooth brush and soap it eventually comes off. Can you recommend a product that would help remove the caked on brake dust and a way to polish the lips back to full shinyness.
Since you have aftermarket wheels, you're going to want to use a wheel cleaner that's pH balanced, I'd suggest P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner. This will help remove the brake dust that isn't completely baked into your wheels cleaning the surface. After you clean the wheels, I'd suggest something like P21S Finish Restorer to properly polish your wheels back to a mirror like finish. In the future, you'd be better off applying a couple of coats of Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant so that maintaining them is significantly easier and the brake dust doesn't cake up on your wheels.

Hope this helps. Let us know how things turn out for you.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black brake dust spots won't come off

How's it going? Should I do the same as stated above? I just bought a set of "used" Work Euroline XR's and washed them down. I used a pressure washer to clean off the heavy stuff and a lot of the black brake dust, but am left partially black, and rust color.. The front faces are clean, but the lips have Black brake dust spots that aren't cooperating with me.. The lips also have a hazing to them, is there anything I can do to bring them back to life?? Or do they sound too shot out to bring back, and just have no choice, but to send them in to get refinished? Any help is appreciated.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:12 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by inda626
How's it going? Should I do the same as stated above? I just bought a set of "used" Work Euroline XR's and washed them down. I used a pressure washer to clean off the heavy stuff and a lot of the black brake dust, but am left partially black, and rust color.. The front faces are clean, but the lips have Black brake dust spots that aren't cooperating with me.. The lips also have a hazing to them, is there anything I can do to bring them back to life?? Or do they sound too shot out to bring back, and just have no choice, but to send them in to get refinished? Any help is appreciated.
Without seeing them it's tough to see how much the polish would help your wheels. It can remove oxidation, clean the surface and bring a lot of shine back, but if you have marring, scratches or swirls it may not do much to fix that. For $10 I'd rather give P21S Finish Restorer a try before spending hundreds getting them refinished. Worse case you have a great metal polish to have around for other occasions.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:01 AM
Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply. Went to a couple shops, and tried the to see if anything could be done without refinishing, and looks like it can't be avoided. Or just drive around with clouded, black spotted wheels.. Called Work wheels online and got a shop that they deal with, and dropped them wheels off with the shop.. Should be ready Thursday or Monday, can't wait to see the life restored to them. Thank you, for the help though. It is much appreciated..

Old 12-29-2010, 11:45 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by inda626
Thanks for the quick reply. Went to a couple shops, and tried the to see if anything could be done without refinishing, and looks like it can't be avoided. Or just drive around with clouded, black spotted wheels.. Called Work wheels online and got a shop that they deal with, and dropped them wheels off with the shop.. Should be ready Thursday or Monday, can't wait to see the life restored to them. Thank you, for the help though. It is much appreciated..
Sounds good. Once you get them refinished, I'd suggest protecting them with some Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant. It will help prevent this from happening in the future and make your regular cleanings much easier.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:50 PM
I did use the Meguiars product you recommended and the results were perfect. Thanks for the help. I attached pictures of before and right after while it was still wet. It dried up fine and did not leave any marks. The one bad part about using a brush on this fabric is that it tends to rough up the fabric a little, but I suppose that is the trade-off. Next up, I will clean the carpets as they look pretty bad right now.

Thanks again!

I'd go with some Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner Plus and a good scrub carpet brush that you can find locally. Work it at a 6:1 ratio or so and you can increase the power as needed.

I'd follow this routine:
Brush
Vacuum
Spray the APC and let dwell for a couple minutes
Scrub to agitate stains
Wipe / Vacuum
Repeat as needed

Something else you can do is keep a pot / bucket / spray bottle of very hot water close by as this can help aid in breaking up stubborn stains.

Most of interior cleaning is elbow grease, a good APC like the Meg's should be all you need.

Keep us posted how it turns out.[/QUOTE]

Attached Thumbnails Ask a Professional Detailer...-2010_11_26_000001090.jpg   Ask a Professional Detailer...-2010_11_26_000001091.jpg   Ask a Professional Detailer...-2010_11_26_000001092.jpg   Ask a Professional Detailer...-2010_11_26_000001093.jpg  
Old 12-30-2010, 08:39 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by V's G
I did use the Meguiars product you recommended and the results were perfect. Thanks for the help. I attached pictures of before and right after while it was still wet. It dried up fine and did not leave any marks. The one bad part about using a brush on this fabric is that it tends to rough up the fabric a little, but I suppose that is the trade-off. Next up, I will clean the carpets as they look pretty bad right now.

Thanks again!
Glad to hear everything worked out for you. Having different firmness brushes in the future couldn't hurt if you noticed it started pulling with the one brush you used. Softer brushes usually won't rough it up as much but also isn't as effective at cleaning either.

Carpets should come out great too using that same technique. Thanks for the followup!

Old 12-30-2010, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Glad to hear everything worked out for you. Having different firmness brushes in the future couldn't hurt if you noticed it started pulling with the one brush you used. Softer brushes usually won't rough it up as much but also isn't as effective at cleaning either.

Carpets should come out great too using that same technique. Thanks for the followup!
Thanks, it's difficult to find suitable brushes for the job, all of the ones I found are too hard for this type of surface.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Wheel wax or Poorboys sealant? Or both?

Thanks for the tip.. Should I just use the poorboy sealant you recommended or both? Wheel wax and poorboys sealant? Wheels are off the car so, I would like to hit the wheels and do what I got to while they're off to be more thorough. Not sure how many coats should be applied, but was thinking about 3-4 coats?? I appreciate any advice you may have for me.. Thanks

NEVER MIND...
Sorry for the dumb question... Brainfarted and didn't even search....

Last edited by inda626; 01-04-2011 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Answer found
Old 01-06-2011, 12:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello! Was thinking of using Chemical Guys Grime Reaper to clean the inside of the intake pipe (metal) and the inside of the intake plenum. I'll have these disassembled and will have easy access to each part. Is this product safe to use for this application? Thanks for the help!

-Terry

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer...