Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Dealer Wax ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 11:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer Wax ??

Do dealers typically wax cars during the prep ? I want to Ziano as soon as possible but am under the impression that I will have to strip dealer wax to do so.

If thats the case would I have to clay bar or can I just use the suggested mix of car soap and dawn ?

Thx.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:20 PM
Strip it regardless. Better to do it right than to have to do it again. No reason for problems if you start from scratch.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:28 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by stilcrazee
Strip it regardless. Better to do it right than to have to do it again. No reason for problems if you start from scratch.
+1 Start from a known base; you can just strip any wax etc. by washing with Dawn as suggested by the Zaino site, or go for the full ride and clay bar. I've done both now, and the combination of that, the new Zaino CS, and Z8, I can basically shave in the reflection

Old 04-03-2007, 11:27 AM
Ok thanks.

I've been doing a lot of reading up on detailing and have picked up lost of great tips here. Obviously using "good" washing products are key to not marring your paint but which ones are good ? (brands) I still don't know how to pick out a quality microfiber towel among cheap ones lol.

Thx

Old 04-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
its even more important to have the right washing techniques than just the right equipment. (directional wiping, soap/water bucket, etc) meguiars nxt products work fine for most people. cheap, easy to find and good results.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:19 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by BKblack
Do dealers typically wax cars during the prep ? I want to Ziano as soon as possible but am under the impression that I will have to strip dealer wax to do so.

If thats the case would I have to clay bar or can I just use the suggested mix of car soap and dawn ?

I've been doing a lot of reading up on detailing and have picked up lost of great tips here. Obviously using "good" washing products are key to not marring your paint but which ones are good ? (brands) I still don't know how to pick out a quality microfiber towel among cheap ones lol.

Thx
BKblack - Depending on the dealership, service will vary from unskilled rotary use to a professional detailing staff. I have done some work for some local Audi and Porsche dealerships when they have known the job at hand was incapable of being corrected by their in house staff. Typically speaking, you're going to see a lot of kids and under qualified workers and they are there for volume not quality.

I would recommend using a clay bar any time you pick up a new or used vehicle. Prepping your vehicle properly is a very important step in achieving maximum results with your polishes, glazes, sealants or waxes.

My thoughts on Dawn:
Dawn is fine to use on a limited basis. If you know you are going to clay or polish the vehicle, those steps will remove any previous sealant or wax that may have been on the surface. If you don't have time for those steps and you want to quickly remove the previous protection, Dawn is a method to use to start fresh. I would typically use Dawn on customers vehicles who did not receive clay or polish to ensure that my coat of protection was fresh and not being applied over a fading coat of wax. In time, if you were to wash with Dawn on say a weekly basis it could potential dry out and fade plastics, rubber, vinyl, etc. As I said as long as it is used properly it is ok. On my personal vehicles, I will always create my routine designed around never using Dawn.

If you are looking for quality microfiber towels, I do not think you will be disappointed with our line of towels. Picus has been using them with great success and maybe some others can chime in with their experience if they have used our towels as well. There is a difference in plushness, binding, composition, etc. It depends on what you are looking to use the microfiber towel for. The type of towel I use with my quick details is our ultra plush microfiber towel, but for removing product or doing interior work, I love our all purpose microfiber towels, for drying Waffle Weave microfiber seems to be the standard in the detailing industry.

Hope this information helps you with your first detail

George @ Detailed Image