Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Clear Bra Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear Bra Help!

Hey Everyone-

My car is SUPPOSED to be in today ('bout time!) and I was originally planning on having the dealer (Harte) install the clear bra before I even picked it up. Here is my issue tho...they want to charge $600 for it and only warranty it for a year! Doesn't this seem a bit ridiculous? If I'm going to pay $600 for a clear bra, I want a warranty that will cover it for the life of the car. Is that asking too much?

Also...they don't do the installation on site. They have to DRIVE the car a few towns over and leave it there. Supposedly, the installation takes two days, and then they drive the car back. This is also making me nervous because I KNOW what people tend to do in cars that don't belong to them! What do you guys think?

'04 6MT, Laser Red/Graphite, Prem, Navi, 4-Piece Aero, BSM

Old 01-21-2004, 10:16 AM
Re: Clear Bra Help!

It cost me close to that for an install here in L.A. I didn't think it was high compared to what others were quoting. I don't know of anyone that will warranty a clear bra for life. If you're concerned about the dealer employees abusing the car (yes it does happen), why don't you just find an installer yourself. Post to your regional forum and ask for recommendations.

RainMeister
'04 G35C 6MT, diamond graphite, premium, nav, aero

Old 01-21-2004, 10:19 AM

someone who is willing to spend 600 for a clearbra is going to be picky about their car. All parties involved should be used to dealing with picky clear bra customers.. Goes with the territory, eh? So... I would simply tell them you dont want your car driven over there by someone else, especially during break in. Thats fair enough.. tell them you'll make the arrangements to be picked up and such.

I think your worries are justified. Not from your car being dogged, but I know that if someone isnt careful driving your car over there and tail gates like they would in their own hoopty, you'll have chips.. Yeah, in this cold weather, one trip across down on peoples bumpers would give you a handful of chips. Sad reality of g paint. That would be the single biggest concern I would have.

600 is a tad high.. 1 year is not long... But ultimately, if its a good install, thats all that matters. You'll know right away. If they use any well known film, youre ok.. Your CB will look its worst for the first few days.. So, if youre happy when its finished, you'll be happy a year from now me thinks...

bs g35c lth/prem

Old 01-21-2004, 10:24 AM

btw, a good install is a 7 hour-ish deal... so, 2 days is not really unexpected..

bs g35c lth/prem

Old 01-21-2004, 11:58 AM

I'm going to express my concerns to my salesman and see what his reaction is. Essentially, it doesn't seem like they are doing me any favors by having the clear bra applied through them (as in price breaks). I think the place they use does it for the general public as well. I do however, certainly want to get that applied as soon as possible to avoid the chips. I might request that I pick up the car myself, and immediately drive it to the shop and then pick it up when the work is done.

Old 01-21-2004, 12:49 PM

I have on that covers the front bumper and the lights. It does not take that long to install, it is only vinyl. I had a spot in mine that I did not like, the guy came to my house and fixed that one piece and it took him 1 hour. I have never heard of it taking 2 days, it must be different. I would take my own car to get done, it would be cheaper that way, remember, the dealer is marking up the cost, take care of it yourself!!!

Old 01-21-2004, 12:50 PM

I have one that covers the front bumper and the lights. It does not take that long to install, it is only vinyl. I had a spot in mine that I did not like, the guy came to my house and fixed that one piece and it took him 1 hour. I have never heard of it taking 2 days, it must be different. I would take my own car to get done, it would be cheaper that way, remember, the dealer is marking up the cost, take care of it yourself!!!

Old 01-21-2004, 03:49 PM

I tracked down the guy who does it for the dealerships here in town and had him do it for about the price he charges the dealerships. 2 days is a long time to wait if you ask me, I had the bumper, hood and mirrors done and it only took 3 hours.

'04 Laser Red, 6MT, Premium, Aero, Splash, ClearBra, Z-tube

Old 01-21-2004, 03:49 PM

I tracked down the guy who does it for the dealerships here in town and had him do it for about the price he charges the dealerships. 2 days is a long time to wait if you ask me, I had the bumper, hood and mirrors done and it only took 3 hours.

'04 Laser Red, 6MT, Premium, Aero, Splash, ClearBra, Z-tube

Old 01-21-2004, 04:10 PM

Hey! I can't believe our cars came in...they must have been on the same truck! Check it out on infiniti.com...I'm the 6mt twilight blue in west haven...I saw your laser red 6mt in hartford.
I'm FREAKING out...my trade-in is buried up the the roof in iced up snow and I haven't recieved my check from e-loan yet!!
Btw...www.autosupershield.com is giving discounts for forum members. They warranty for parts and labor for 3 years if you use a certified istaller...they will fax over a list. I have the list, they had one in wethersfield...I don't know if that's close to you...

Old 01-21-2004, 05:18 PM

Justme97-

I know man! I saw the inventory today as well! I'm dying! Harte told me that it should be here today or tomorrow. I think that one in Wethersfield is actually the one that Harte uses for it's installations! I'll give them a call and see what I can work up. What stinks is that after taxes, my car is gonna be like $41K. Do I really want to drop another 5-6 hundy right now?! I dunno!

Old 01-21-2004, 05:22 PM

Justme-

Shoot me the contact info for that installer in Wethersfield...I wanna get in touch with them to see just how much they want to charge for the install. Thanx bro!

Old 01-21-2004, 05:26 PM

Statik,
There is a place in East Hartford that is authorized to do the Clear Bra. I did a search a while back for authorized Connecticut Clear Bra installers and came up with Ledyard (Gales Ferry?), East Hartford and Middletown.
I guess I should do my search again since my car will be here in 3 weeks. William Carmon thinks a LR Coupe (your car I believe) will be here tomorrow or Friday. Did you run your VIN against their stock list?

Old 01-21-2004, 05:33 PM

adnama,

Yeah, I spoke with William today. He told me that it should be here no later than tomorrow (hopefully!). Yeah, my car showed up on infiniti.com (so exciting!) just this morning. I'm curious to see who the installer in Wethersfield is because if they offer a discount to members...then I'm all over that one! I'm trying to track the info down now. As soon as I get it, I'll post it!

Old 01-21-2004, 11:57 PM

$600 is not all that high...........however, the 1 yr warranty does raise a red flag. We carry Clearshield by Bekaert Security Films and comes w/ a 5yr warranty. The 2nd interesting thing your dealership mentioned is the 2 day installation..............now that sounds quite long. Generally, it takes us about 2-4 hrs to complete the job depending on how many guys we have working on the car. So yeah, I think you should take it elsewhere.......good luck!

Pearl White 2003 Sedan & 2004 Coupe 6MT

<font color=red>Edit: Sorry -- but no links or advertising for non sponsors -- Site rules </font color=red>GSM <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by gsedanman on 01/21/04 09:34 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra Help!