Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

If you own an IP, DO NOT buy a 3M Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most paint protection film is urethane based. The nature of urethane is to yellow over time when exposed to UV rays. The only colors it shows up on are white and silver. Most films will hold up well and last a long time when waxed often and kept clean. Carauba wax is bad for the film though. It will stain the film over time. Wax is needed to protect the film and keep the dirt from embedding into the film over time. Clear wax works best and quick detailers in between. Not using wax is not good for the film nor recomended either.
The only alcohol that should be used on the film is isopropyl. This will also get rid of micro scratches in the 3M film. 3M has changed the film and is not yellowing like the older stuff did. Yellowing has always been a problem for every film. Its one of those things that has been the most talked about and worked on. Its like the paint on the car though. It is going to fade over time. You can slow it down but can't stop it.

There are other factors that can play a part in this as well. The film could be from a bad batch. The installer could of used a detergent soap during intallation. This seems to effect white colors the most. Or it could be from poor care. The pics I see are a good example of the old film though. It was real prone to do that in a short amount of time.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Following up on my earlier post, this is directed to Clear Bra Guy. I have 3M clear bra but need to replace the bumper bra because it was removed to paint the bumper right before I bought the car. I was quoted $320 for 3M, but $185 for Ventureshield from an installer who is moonlighting. Will there be any visible differences using the 2 different products? That is a big savings.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:59 AM
i have the ventureshield and its great

Old 04-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
one of the main reasons why i dont do clearbra on lighter colors...
mine's a brilliant silver and so didnt take my chance.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by clutchless
Following up on my earlier post, this is directed to Clear Bra Guy. I have 3M clear bra but need to replace the bumper bra because it was removed to paint the bumper right before I bought the car. I was quoted $320 for 3M, but $185 for Ventureshield from an installer who is moonlighting. Will there be any visible differences using the 2 different products? That is a big savings.
You should see no difference in the two films. Just make sure the installer is using the newer Ultra film. It has a clear coat on it and holds up better than the standard Venture film.

3M now owns Venture Shield as well.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
one of the main reasons why i dont do clearbra on lighter colors...
mine's a brilliant silver and so didnt take my chance.
One thing to keep in mind is that a clear bra with a slight color change is still going to look much better then paint that is stained and fill of chips and pitting. Its not as bad on silver as white. White is a good color for hiding the film but will show discoloration much more.

Here is a pic of the car I had before the G with a clear bra. The pics were taken when the bra was about a year old. It cost $1200.00 to repaint the front end before putting the bra on. Was well worth it. You can see on the hood and fenders from the top view there is a slight color difference. Nothing bad enough to worry about in my eyes. Looks better than the chips did.

The film will also keep your lights from getting hazy and yellow.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks, I have a Silver car. Will determine if it is the ultra. Did not know they also made it for headlights. Now I need a free weekend to install the 2006 lights I just got before I do the Ventureshield.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:26 PM
You will want to make sure its the ultra. The older film is not bad but needs constant up-keep to stay clean. It does not have a clear coat to it so dirt can get in the film real easy and stain the film.

They make a headlight film but it is thick and PVC. PVC does not hold up well and holds the head from the light in. Using the regular ppf (clear bra) film works better and will keep the lights looking new.

On a side note.
Those of you that have to clean your lights up with polish would benefit from this. I had the same problem with my lexus and the G is even worst. If you put film on them after cleaning up the lights they will stay nice and clear. The bugs don't stick to the film like they do to the plastic lights and paint.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:57 PM
I have a clear bra/detailing question.

I've had my G35 for almost a year now and am planning on getting a clear bra on just my front bumper. My question is after it's installed and when I go to wax/detail my car, will the rest of the car be shinnier/glossier than the front bumper (where the clear bar is installed)?!

Thnx in advance.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by speedracerg35
also, i believe waxing a clear bra adds to the yellowing.
I didnt read the whole thread, but yes you are correct. Certain waxes with dyes can cause clear bras and even headlights to yellow. The best thing to use is a product that does not contain any dyes and something with UV protection.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:23 PM
Autopia Care Detailing forum thread.

I dont wax my VentureSheild ClearBra. I Just use a sealant Like Klause All in One.