Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Best Way to Clean Headliner?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 09:07 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Best Way to Clean Headliner?

I drive with my windows down alot and over the past 4 years, I have collected some dirty areas on my headliner. What is the best way to clean it up? I cant get it off with a vaccuum as it it imbedded within the material. I dont want to take it into a shop just to have them do something I can most likely do for free. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 11-23-2007, 11:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try a 6:1 diluted Woolite. Spray to the head liner and and agitate with a terry cloth damp in warm water. Work for me when I got tire mark on my head liner.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:09 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I'll usually spray a fabric cleaner, like 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover, on to a microfiber towel and blot around the area. Try to avoid scrubbing the headliner outside of the area of the stain, as you can often expand the stain larger than what it is. Woolite or Folex are good options you can typically pick up locally.

George

Old 11-26-2007, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get it wet with a soapy solution of Woolite(mix per instructions) and spray it on with a spray bottle, work it in with soft brush or rag and vaccuum out the solution. Wet again with plain water and vaccuum that out.

I've not had to do my G but my daughter sprayed Pepsi all over her headliner (Mustang) and that is how I cleaned it up. I had to do the whole thing because it cleaned it so well, I didn't want it looking uneven.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
woolite won't stain the headliner?

Old 11-28-2007, 06:20 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
No. I've used this method with great results. I also have Folex and use it on my home carpet but haven't tried it on the headliner. I imagine if our local detailing expert says it's okay, then I trust that info.

Originally Posted by patrickwong
woolite won't stain the headliner?

Old 11-28-2007, 06:58 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
I'll usually spray a fabric cleaner, like 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover, on to a microfiber towel and blot around the area. Try to avoid scrubbing the headliner outside of the area of the stain, as you can often expand the stain larger than what it is. Woolite or Folex are good options you can typically pick up locally.

George
Originally Posted by The_Scootch
Get it wet with a soapy solution of Woolite(mix per instructions) and spray it on with a spray bottle, work it in with soft brush or rag and vaccuum out the solution. Wet again with plain water and vaccuum that out.

I've not had to do my G but my daughter sprayed Pepsi all over her headliner (Mustang) and that is how I cleaned it up. I had to do the whole thing because it cleaned it so well, I didn't want it looking uneven.
Both of these would work great. My company provides interior maintenance, repair and cleaning services for auto dealers' used cars and we use a chemical dry cleaner. Most headliners are very tough and you shouldn't have too much trouble removing a little dirt and minor staining.