Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Removing Wheel Wax

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing Wheel Wax

I've been using Wheel Wax, and have seen that it does give great results, but I'm having a terrible time removing it all from the nooks and such of my wheels. I feel like I'm always finding little bits and pieces of the wax 2-3 washes later that I just never saw and buffed off. What are you guys using to remove wax from your wheels? I've heard mixed reviews on the powerball mini, but it seems to be the only real option I can find. Currently I'm just buffing off with clean dry microfiber.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:20 PM
I use MF tower to buff-off the wax
btw I am using poorboys wheel sealant
great product, smells great and wonderful protection

Old 12-31-2007, 06:16 PM
I've only heard good things about PB as well...that will probably be my next purchase. Thanks!

Old 12-31-2007, 08:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've learned to do one wheel at a time, and wipe the residue off before it dries, it's proven hard to remove if I waited too long. I'm not sure I'll be using it on the '07's Sport Wheels, we'll see!

Old 12-31-2007, 08:42 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by TheIvoryG
I've been using Wheel Wax, and have seen that it does give great results, but I'm having a terrible time removing it all from the nooks and such of my wheels. I feel like I'm always finding little bits and pieces of the wax 2-3 washes later that I just never saw and buffed off. What are you guys using to remove wax from your wheels? I've heard mixed reviews on the powerball mini, but it seems to be the only real option I can find. Currently I'm just buffing off with clean dry microfiber.
I have been using Wheelwax for a couple of years. I just use a microfiber to buff it. I usually wax all my wheels then start over and buff them making sure the wax drys well. When I take the wheels off at the end of the season, I give them a good coat inside and out and let them dry for a few days then buff with a MF towel. Always works great.
Love Wheelwax

Old 12-31-2007, 08:49 PM
Perhaps you are putting the wax on too thick. I just put on a very thin coating.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:31 AM
It's easier to buff off wax with a damp warm towel follow by a dry one.

Last edited by Scrooge; 01-01-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:59 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I buff off with micro fiber towel and lightly damp the towel with quick detailer spray. It helpts...

Just make sure that when you're applying the wheel was that you are putting on a light coat. No need to waste product...

Old 01-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Apply light coat, and be sure not to apply to warm/hot wheel.
My Wheel Wax is always easy to remove. I make sure I don't apply any into any areas that are difficult to reach (wheel lug holes for instance).

Old 01-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by Demonteverde
I buff off with micro fiber towel and lightly damp the towel with quick detailer spray. It helpts...

Just make sure that when you're applying the wheel was that you are putting on a light coat. No need to waste product...
I will try your tip with the QD on the buffing towel. Thanks

Old 01-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
im not sure if i want to recommend harsh chemicals to remove, but
if you must try Griot's PaintPrep. I use that stuff all the time
when removing old wax from the body panels.

as far as waxing wheels, i use Prima Hydro after each wash and just
wipe off with a soft paper towel. works great. super easy to apply.
just mist over wet wheel, then wipe off. that's all. no white crusty
crap, etc.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I think I am applying too much product for starters. Not sure why I can apply 2-3 coats of wicked thin wax on my paint, but then feel like I need to have it any thicker on my wheels. I like the idea of QD on the microfiber too.

I did another coat last night, and played around a little using all these ideas. Definitely put less product. But I also used a rubber detailing tool inside the microfiber to get the real nooks and crannies and that worked great. Those spots like around the lugs and stem always drove me nuts but this all helped.

Thanks again!