Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

anyone use Mr. Clean AutoDry?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: anyone use Mr. Clean AutoDry?

Actually, I can't tell if the splotchy stuff is from the mitt I was using or the soap. I mixed it with some kind of Turtle Wax super suds stuff. I'm switching mitts this weekend, I'll let you know if I still get the splotches. It's like gummy streaks of stuff. Like sap. I'm thinking it may be an adhesive used in the chemille (sp?) mitt I was using. Where can I get a good sheepskin mitt to wash with? Until I find one, I'm going to stick with a microfiber towel.

The 10 oz bottle was good for about 2-3 washes.

Old 04-15-2004, 01:20 PM

Just washed the car with a different soap. Short answers for those who don't care to read on...

Spot-Less wash - YES
Auto-Dry - NO

Here is what I did...

I used Meguiar's Gold Class soap and a brand new Mr. Clean filter. Not only did I fill soap in the dispenser, but I had a bucket of soapy water as well. I rinsed the car and started soaping from the top. Then I would grab the soapy wash mit from the bucket and wipe. Rinsed with water and continued. Each time I finished rinsing a new area, I rinsed the entire car again, to keep it wet.

Once the car was washed, I rinsed it through again and then used the filtered water. Covered the entire car with the filtered water. Then I pulled the car into the garage, to get out of the sun. Then I waited...probably close to 20 minutes because I cleaned up everything and put the hose away.

Some of the body of the car beaded off the water, but there was still a significant amount in places; it would never dry by evaporation. Oddly, all glass areas were still completely covered with water; as if the filter didn't do anything. So, I ended up drying the body first and then the windows. Even though I ended up spending a little more time drying with a towel, the body was spotless. And surprisingly, the glass areas were spotless as well.

So I conclude that it is their soap that causes the "auto-dry" process to occur. But, since it is pretty expensive, I don't mind drying my car a bit and still getting a spot-less wash.

Hope this helps. If anyone else trys it, i'd be interested in finding out how to get the auto-dry process to work with a more affordable soap.

2003 G35 Sedan 5AT
{Z-Tube} {JWT_POP_Chrgr.} {V1} {21%_Tint} {Matte_Race_Pdls} {Blck_w/Grpht_Lthr} {Prm_Pkg.} {Sprt_Tuned} {Wntr-Sprt} {Nav.} {Xenon} {Sunroof} {Aero-Body_Kit_w/Spoiler} {Trunk_Mat}

Old 04-15-2004, 02:50 PM
Registered

didn't tat defeat the purpose of auto dry?

Old 04-15-2004, 04:28 PM

It's not supposed to "auto dry", meaning it dries fast. It's just supposed to be spot free, once it does dry, which takes over an hour on a standard day. The filter is what leaves it spot free. I used another soap, but still rinsed with the filter, and an hour later, poof, no spots.

Old 04-15-2004, 05:44 PM

i much more appreciate being able to wash my car in the sun and not having to worry about spots. i can spend 30 mins more and dry what water does remain. but as catatafish says, maybe i didn't wait long enough for it to dry completely.

coolie

2003 G35 Sedan 5AT
{Z-Tube} {JWT_POP_Chrgr.} {V1} {21%_Tint} {Matte_Race_Pdls} {Blck_w/Grpht_Lthr} {Prm_Pkg.} {Sprt_Tuned} {Wntr-Sprt} {Nav.} {Xenon} {Sunroof} {Aero-Body_Kit_w/Spoiler} {Trunk_Mat}

Old 04-15-2004, 05:51 PM

If you race her around the block a few times you can knock the dry time down to 30 minutes .

Old 04-16-2004, 01:27 PM

I am using a Toro 140 mph leaf blower for the initial dry. Cost me about $28 and only takes 5 minutes to dry the car without the risk of leaving swirl marks or scratched (that's right, my car is black). It's just like the drive through blower.

I usually finish up with a polishing towel and some Zaino detailing spray if I have the time. Works like a charm.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I die I want to go quietly in my sleep, like my grandmother. Not screaming in fear like the passengers in her car.

Old 04-19-2004, 06:32 PM
Florida G35 Club Charter Member

I purchased the Value Pack of the Mr. Clean AutoDry from Sam's Club. It was $20.88 plus sales tax and has 10 uses instead of three. Not sure if you can use the $5 off coupon, but can't see there being a problem. I thought it was worth it because it’s a time saver. You rinse, spray soap, rinse again, and last step is rinse with filter. Basically your getting your car wet four times, wasn't timing myself, but I'm guessing it took about 10-12 minutes. I don’t wait for it to dry, the wind picks up dirt and adds it back onto the car when it’s wet. It was spot free except for places I missed rinsing with filter such as under the spoiler. It does not do a good job on the wheels, but I wasn’t expecting it. Dirty wheels need some good scrubbing in all the corners. To speed up drying, you could use a blower, or use a squeegee on the windows and purchase cheap microfibers towels for a couple dollars.

Old 04-19-2004, 06:49 PM
Unimaginative, Indecisive User

ventural... thanks for the heads up! especially about sam's club. i'm not sure i can use my $5 off coupons there though because it says "save $5 on one mr clean autodry carwash starter kit." [img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img] but hmm, i'll see if they'll take it.

<font color=purple>.g35girl.</font color=purple>

Old 04-19-2004, 06:58 PM
Florida G35 Club Charter Member

Find the youngest looking cashier that doesn't have a care in the world when making your purchase.

Old 04-19-2004, 07:09 PM
Unimaginative, Indecisive User

ventural... hahaha. will do!

<font color=purple>.g35girl.</font color=purple>

Old 04-22-2004, 11:34 AM

The costs are:
$5 for soap -20 oz, supposed to last 10 washes
$5 for filter - supposed to last 10 washes

Averages to $1/wash. Not that bad at all. The confusing thing is people think the refills are only good for 3 washes like the samples that come with the kit...

Old 04-24-2004, 02:43 PM
G SQUAD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok I have a question. i've been using the auto dry since it came out and I love it but..... Now that it is nice out there is a healthy coat of wax on the ride. here is where I get confused, wax makes the water bead up and the auto ddry makes it sheet off the car. basically if I use the auto dry after a fresh wax what will be the effects? Will it ruin the wax job? Will the water not sheet and leave me with spots? I dont know but I am kinda leaning towards washing and drying with reg soap since the wax is fresh.

Old 04-24-2004, 04:41 PM

I think it works by leaving "pure" water on your car when you're done. The water is just filtered. If it's filtered, and there's no minerals in it, there's nothing to leave spots with. It's not a matter of sheeting, it's a matter of nothing in the water to spot with.

The soap also has some kind of polymer in it, but I've used other soaps and it's still spotless, just so long as you have the filter in it.

2004.5 Coupe/5AT/Ivory/Everything but chin spoiler/Z Tube-Popcharger

Old 04-25-2004, 03:09 AM

exactly. the "special" soap they have must provide the "sheeting" action. but using a cheaper and maybe better soap, like meguiar's, works fine.

coolie

2003 G35 Sedan 5AT

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: anyone use Mr. Clean AutoDry?