Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Zaino...why so many haters??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zaino...why so many haters??

After 6 weeks with my G I must admit that I have become a little obsessed. I get her handwashed once a week and it is not unusual for me to wash her at least once in between. I had the detailer "polish and seal" her and last week had a coat of pinnacle soveran put on as well. Aside from the light swirls that are inevitable on a black car I think she looks great. Here's the question, I was thinking about Zaino just because I want to see if I could really see a difference. Why so many Zaino haters? I asked my detailer and he said "it really won't make that much of a difference for that much effort." I asked the specialty shop where I purchased the pinnacle soveran and they said "I think it's a lot of hype." I don't know if I have the time to spend an entire day washing, prepping and waxing my car but I'm curious as to why there apparently is no middle ground with Zaino, either people swear by it or think it's a bunch of BS. For an amateur who just loves a great shine would I really be able to see a difference between Zaino and the pinnacle combo that I currently have???

Loaded 04 6MT Black G Coupe. Aluminum Pedals, Clear Corners

Old 03-15-2004, 10:29 AM
Re: Zaino...why so many haters??

you might get more replies in the detailing forum

04 6mtC, DG - possibly most babied G on the board.

Old 03-15-2004, 03:44 PM

Pinnacle is going to look the best, since no polymer shines like caranuba. Plus, Zaino attracts dust like a magnet. You could always do zaino once every 6 months and top it off with pinnacle - you'd get better protection that way (from the dreaded swirls.)

Drew
2003 G35 Sedan 6MT / Black / Graphite / Prem / Aero

Old 03-15-2004, 04:36 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For zaino to be zaino, you need about 3 coats and you will definitely go GOD DAMN! Also, Zaino is the best on a dirty car. My car will look like it went off roading up close, but from about 50 feet out, it will still shine.

I think there are so many haters because its the best there is. Everyone hates what comes out on top. Everyone hates the yankees. Everyone hates the patriots. Everyone hates the lakers.
---------------------------------
http://www.anythingbox.net

Old 03-15-2004, 05:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used Zaino for quite some time now. I am very happy with the result and recomend it highly to anyone.

I think that a lot of the hate comes from people who haven't used it and are just parroting something they were told by another uninformed individual. A detailer isn't going to recomend it if it works well. He'll lose money if you aren't coming back to him every three months.

There is most likely products just as good out there. Everybody raves about Clear Guard. I haven't used it so I can't comment on it.

People think it's a lot of work but it isn't anymore than I would do if I was applying two coats of Meguirars gold class wax. it wipes on easily and wipes off just as easily. It doesn't leave a hazy residu behind so you don't need to worry if you get it on places you didn't intend to wax.

Jim
'03.5 Sedan
Brilliant Silver/Graphite
6MT/ Premium package
Sport tuned suspension
Aerodynamic Body Kit
Navigation and Satellite Radio

Old 03-15-2004, 06:34 PM

i've used alot of stuff, including zaino. you can call it hating or what not, but while zaino may look great, i'm going to say it's not the only game in town.

there are lots of pros and cons to any application, zaino included. the thing about zaino, is that while it looks great and offers the protection, it's expensive and doesn't play well with other products. for example, in your case, you'd never be able to apply zaino over the souveran. and if you were to decide that you want to apply souveran over zaino to get that wet look, you'd have to dawn the car to remove the carnuba so that you can continue w/ the zaino.

if you're going to be constantly applying sealant, you can pretty much go w/ anything out there. some alternative sthat come to mind are klasse sealant glaze, meguiars polymer sealant or nxt tech wax. you can then throw your pinnacle on top of it for that deep look. however if you've already invested in the zaino system, then just stick w/ that.

the one thing that your detailer didn't mention, is that pinnacle will not offer you the protection of a synthetic. as far as your last question in concerned, that's really up to you. if you don't want/need to invest the time, stick w/ it if you like it.

Old 03-16-2004, 01:44 AM

"Plus, Zaino attracts dust like a magnet"

I've found that Zaino does just the opposite. I find that I use my California Duster less frequenty. I even put the Zaino tire dressing stuff on the lower plastics and it has vastly helped to repel the dust.

I'm sure there are other products out there that are comparable, however this once skeptical consumer is now "Zaino Enlightened".

Old 03-16-2004, 08:45 AM

1) "it's expensive and doesn't play well with other products."
Why do you need other products? The Zaino line includes coverage in all areas. Price is subjective. It last longer so you use less. Unless you're obsessed with shine (like me ) and put two coats everytime. What's am I missing?

2) "Plus, Zaino attracts dust like a magnet"

Zaino does just the opposite for me - stay away from the construction sites. [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...tegory_Code=QO

Old 03-21-2004, 01:15 AM
Location: Metropolitan South Farmington, not too far from the supercity we all know as Wilmot, NS

http://www.nsxsc.com/nsexcitement/waxtest.html

Read test at the link. The bias was towards a product other than the ultimate winner.

DB

Old 03-21-2004, 10:45 PM

Nice post. Very interesting test.

Old 03-22-2004, 08:50 AM

Why I didn't go with Zaino was because of the compatibility factor.

Say I'm feeling lazy and want to get the car detailed? If I were to use Zaino, I'd either have to supply them with the products or search for one that already uses the system.

Or, say I run out of car wash soap or wax? I'm screwed, as I've heard that other soaps don't play nice with Zaino. And, I can't just run down to the auto parts store and pick up some Zaino.

Other than those issues, I was leaning heavily to Zaino, but those 2 just didn't sit well for me.

So, I'm going to use what I've used in the past with good results - Meguiars. Universal availability and I know what I'm getting into. They reccomended a 3 step process - scratch X, Polish, Gold Class. I've used their 3 step process beofre with excellernt results.

Old 03-22-2004, 11:41 AM

I was wondering too about the hype, until I tried it on my Metallic Green 2003.5 sedan. The first time I used it, I need all day. This included Dawn, clay bar, up through Z2. However, after that first time, it's REALLY easy and fast. Regarding the cost, I find it's actually cheaper and faster than using other types of 'wax'. Go for it... you won't be sorry!

Old 03-22-2004, 09:20 PM

I recently used Meguiar's Gold 3-step (not including the Scratch-X used to buff out problem areas) on my red '67 Alfa Spider, and while the initial shine and luster made the car sparkle, after one washing (using Meguiar's car wash), the effect of the wax was lost. In other words, my experience regarding the durability (or lack thereof) of Meguiar's was consistent with the NSX web test and write-up that's referenced by another poster. Considering that I spent a day-and-a-half polishing and waxing the car, I was not pleased. I gave my neighbor's son what remained (still more than 3/4 full) in the 3 bottles of Meguiar's and ordered the Zaino.

RainMeister
'04 G35C 6MT, diamond graphite, premium, nav, aero

Old 03-22-2004, 09:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just my two cents here, I have been usinf Mother's California Gold for some time now, my last four vehicles, and have been totally happy with this wax product!

Brilliant Silver/Graphite/Chrome Wheels '04 Sedan/5AT

Old 03-22-2004, 11:48 PM
Location: Metropolitan South Farmington, not too far from the supercity we all know as Wilmot, NS

Happy is okay, but there are few Zaino freaks that aren't full on ecstatic with "the Z". Kidding. To each his own. I have personally not been able to achieve the longlasting high gloss possible (without any magic technique even- call it shiney for dummies; me included) with Zaino when using carnauba or other natural waxes.
Some correction to some disinformation by tkman- any car wash is fine. Any detailing spray is fine. It's just better if you use the Z6. Prior planning prevents **** poor performance. If one is unable to determine when it's time to order more, I'm really surprised that one could afford the car. Not so tough. I guess it would be possible to OD on the wonderful smell of Z6 and just start spraying the stuff like a wild thing, and wake up, empty bottle in hand. But there's gotta be a 12 step program for that sort of thing, isn't there?

DB

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Zaino...why so many haters??