Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

leather conditioner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 02:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leather conditioner

i have an '05 with black leather. i use a leather conditioner by meguiars but was wondering what anyone's opinion was on the best conditioner to use?

Old 02-09-2008, 06:40 AM
You could try going to Lexus Stealership and picking some of their own leather conditioner, one of the best IMO. Been using those for ages, works like no other, and did I mention the scents and non scents are

Originally Posted by dbmorrow
i have an '05 with black leather. i use a leather conditioner by meguiars but was wondering what anyone's opinion was on the best conditioner to use?

Old 02-09-2008, 11:46 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dbmorrow
Leather Conditioners:
I have discussed this issue with some people in the leather care products industry and haven't received a definitive answer. My issues are (a) how much conditioner will get through the thick polyurethane top coat on the leather (b) a chrome tanned leather hide is sealed at the tannery and then pigmented; what could a conditioner do for the hide?

Leather Protection is far more viable and will provide better long-term benefits than a conditioner as so many so called leather conditioners utilize chemical solvents in order to facilitate penetration of there oils; this has a detrimental effect of the polyethylene covering causing fissures (cracking). If your leather upholstery is becoming inflexible use Leather Master’s Vital, as leather requires re-hydration (moisture replacement) not a leather conditioner, as most of these contain oils and / or wax.

Using oil on leather that is cracked may cause the water-based pigment to loose its adhesion, making further restoration very difficult if not impossible.

An aqueous emulsion (water / oil for surface lubrication) achieves these objectives: polyurethane penetration and leather re-hydration, absorption and retention in the hide. A water-based product accomplishes this with an emulsion of micro droplets of oil (for surface lubrication) and water that permeate the leather finish and / or the polyurethane as the emulsions molecular structure is smaller than the molecules of the finished leather or the polyurethane covering. Water unlike other organic or hydrocarbon-based solvents, is non-flammable, odourless, non-toxic and non-sensitizing to the skin and it doesn’t impart a greasy or tacky feel to the surface of the leather. In summary, an aqueous emulsion is readily absorbed into the fibres and provides lasting and effective lubrication without migration, while re-hydration leaves leather feeling silky soft and pliable.

The keys to leather care are; keeping leather (a) hydrated (b) clean, as dirt / grit and subsequent friction cause the finish to wear. A leather protection product is essential as it will protect the surface finish and makes dirt easier to clean off.

Compare automobile upholstery [finished pigmented leather] to a vehicles paint surface with a clear coat;
1. A base material (metal) with a colour coat of water-based polymer paint
[Leather hide pigmented with a water-based polymer resin]

2. A water-based polymer clear coat to provide protection
[Water-based polyethylene clear coating to provide protection]

3. Paint doesn't need oils to feed it (whatever Zymol says) nor does leather; neither is a living thing.
[Leather was removed from a dead animal, it’s then fat-liquored to preserve its oils and then sealed, and it doesn't need oils or creams to feed or condition it, even if they could permeate the various coverings]

As the materials and production methods that are used on automobiles change; we need to adapt to them and adjust products used and their application methodologies to keep pace with them

Old 02-09-2008, 01:22 PM
This are all good conditioners
Zaino Z10
Lexol leather conditioner
Connolly conditioner
Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil

Old 02-09-2008, 01:50 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i will be coming back to this thread for tips.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:19 PM
there a meguiers spray and then there is the actualy cream conditioner thats THICK, i only found it once, but its pretty good, the spray on one is pretty weaksauce

Old 02-10-2008, 03:13 PM
I don't know what the Zaino Leather cleaner and treatment/conditioner are classified as, but I use them and they do indeed work. After a cleaning and treatment session, the leather is much softer and "creamier" to the touch. And after about 24 hrs, I notice that the seats don't have that "shine" to it anymore like how old leather looks like. It has that matte look and "glow" to it.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:09 PM
yeah the meguiers spray is really type lame, but i love the smell of it. but next time i will try the Zaino Leather cleaner and treatment

Old 02-12-2008, 10:06 AM
The Zaino leather products are top notch and I love the way they smell.

The 4 Star products are also very nice but not quite as good as the Zaino.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:04 PM
^^
i will give Zaino a shot