Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Tree sap....??? AHHH!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tree sap....??? AHHH!

This is kinda long but i need help heh... pweez read

Ok, so i take my 1 month old G in to get it tinted by dealer.. It gets done fine.. But when i get the car back i notice very small (pinhead and smaller) clear dots on the windshield. This is all i noticed at first...

That was Saturday.. Sunday I notice the dots on all the windows... Especially on the back window.. So I'm kinda pissed. Well I tried to scrub them off the windshield with Windex to no avail.. I noticed the spots were raised and if I ran my fingernail over them to try and lightly scrape it off, it would sort of smear. So today (monday) i take it to the dealer.. Before I even arrive I notice the spots are ALL over the car.. Very hard to see with the naked eye but in the sun i spotted them..

Again all this happened after I got my tint and they customarily ran it through their auto car wash. (grr)

I arrive at the dealership and they alert me that is tree sap ( beforehand i thought it was probably waterspots from the car wash.. but he said water spots cant be 'raised' like that)..

I occasionally park under a tree has white flowery type dealies on it.. However, my mom does as well.. she does more than me and she has not had this problem..

While i was talking to my service advisor another man came up that worked there and said that it may have been parked under a tree they have out back for a short time during the day (they had it for half a day). Anyway their first comment to it was they can buff it out and polish it.. which will cost around 70$..

Anyway, does this stuff sound like tree sap? In the sun i can EASILY see it on all windows and it is annoying.. On the body its harder to see, howerver..

Any advice / help would be appriciated.. Later i am going to consult my parents about it.. but for now im relyin' on you guys =)

Thanks for reading my obscenely long post

Old 03-22-2004, 07:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Tree sap....??? AHHH!

Okay, I've said this before, go to Walgreen's or someplace and get a bottle of 91% Rubbing Alcohol, if it's tree sap, that will take it right off, some sap requires a second wiping, make sure your towel is soaked good, and this is very cheap!

Brilliant Silver/Graphite/Chrome Wheels '04 Sedan/5AT

Old 03-22-2004, 07:13 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

If its truly tree sap, try using a clay bar with lots of detail spray to keep the area wetted.....that should do the job...

I have in the past used WD40 to remove tar/sap, but you have to re-wax the areas....since you said your whole car is covered that could be alot of work....

I pesonally wouldn't pay anyone to clean my car.....its just IMO not necessary.....

Try washing your car with warm/to hot water and car wash soap....see if that will remove any of it.....I usually have the same problem in my area in the middle of summer...... some others, he beat me to the post, (aka ABQ_35 ) have said to have good results with rubbing alcohol <font color=blue>2old4this</font color=blue>

04 cpe IP/willow/5at/prem/18's/JDM clear corners/Piaa's/MTEC H4 Super White fog/highs

Old 03-22-2004, 07:29 PM

so dump the rubbing alcohol straight on the cloth... wipe car w/ cloth... then after im done i should probably wash it normally im guessing.. will the rubbing alcohol have any adverse effects on my paint?

Old 03-22-2004, 09:48 PM

I always poured some on a towel while holding it against the car, just keep doing it lightly until the sap disappears, I always would remove sap in conjunction with waxing the car, except on the glass, I'd do it as needed, you will need to clean the glass once you are done. Let me say this, I have been using alchohol to remove sap on my cars since 1970, it has never hurt the paint, never, it evaporates quickly, and, on my last car, Mustang GT, Ford actually recommended it for this purpose, LOL, maybe I should have copyrighted it, LOL!

Old 03-22-2004, 10:39 PM

thank you... i appriciate the help.. glad i didnt give in to the dealer and pay 70$ for them to buff it.. rofl.. silly dealers

Old 03-22-2004, 10:44 PM

Cool, let me know if it removed it, that stuff is a bargain miracle, I had tried for some time back then to remove the sap, which was collecting wax around it, from my maroon Mustang, couldn't believe how well it worked!