Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Front end looks like its 5 years old

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front end looks like its 5 years old

Whats up with the cheap paint job on the front end. I detailed my car this weekend, and the front end is filled with pits and chips and paint color is faded, my black front bumber almost looks grey.

Stock 5AT/ 20% Tint

Old 04-13-2004, 10:27 AM
Re: Front end looks like its 5 years old

Unfortunately, the factory forgot to install your clearbra. But do not fret, they forgot to install the clearbra on every single g35 coupe produced, so you have to get after you receive your car. Fortunately businesses noticed Infiniti forgot to install them, so they will be willing to install them on every g35 for 500-800 dollars.

To keep the costs down on the coupe, they decided to skimp on the little things, like tougher paint. Can't have the best of both worlds; you know, a good price and a tough paint.

Old 04-13-2004, 10:52 AM

Yep, mine’s like that too and unfortunately, I didn’t discover this site (and it’s wealth of info) until there were already a significant number of paint chips. Live and learn I guess. Perhaps someday I’ll get my bumper repainted and install a clear bra. I think the paint quality is one of the few drawbacks of owning the G.

03.5 5AT Sedan
<font color=black> Black on Graphite / Prem / Sport / Winter / Tint / Aero Package </font color=black>

Old 04-13-2004, 11:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is <font color=red>not</font color=red> just the G35, or Infiniti for that matter, all cars get chips in the front bumper, it's paint, and small stones, gravel, sand blowing etc, tend to chip/sand blast the finish of a car, used to be worse, before anyone really knew how to paint a plastic bumper right. And, on any dark colored car, you will find that obvious! Especially if you drive a lot of highway, high speed miles! And, your paint most likely isn't "faded" it's probably slightly sand blasted of sorts!

Brilliant Silver/Graphite/Chrome Wheels '04 Sedan/5AT

Old 04-13-2004, 08:17 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I just turned around 8,500 mostly highway miles on my car this week........and the front bumper isn't pretty.....
Since my car is ivory pearl, the little nicks that don't go all the way through to the bumper just feel rough.....but when it chips it hard enough, I get a little black spot that shows up like a sore thumb.....

I touched up some of the spots....and for the most part it doesn't look too bad.....

I know if I keep the car for any length of time....the front end will need to be repainted for sure....

Since the car is so low to the ground, and the bumper has a pretty large flat surface area that low....its only natural to sustain a lot of chipping/damage.....

I'd be curious to know how well a repainted bumper would hold up as well......I don't think the factory paint is 2nd quality....I just think the front end design is more susceptible to damage......
<font color=blue>2old4this</font color=blue>

04 cpe IP/willow/5at/prem/18's/JDM clear corners/Piaa's/MTEC H4 Super White fog/highs

Old 04-13-2004, 08:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has nothing to do with infiniti having cheap paint. Its because you probably drive on the freeway alot or you drive on rough roads with lose rocks. What you describe happens to all cars, not just infiniti. If you wanted it to stay nice looking, you should have gotten a clear bra or any bra for that matter. It works wonders=)

Old 04-14-2004, 11:34 AM

i disagree! every other car i owned never had as bad chips, and divits in the front end this soon. ive had my g 3 months and it looks like a meter shower came down on my front end. clear bra or not - cheap paint. my father has a lexus es parked right next to my g his is 18 months old and drives the same roads i do. no significant chips. it doesnt cost infiniti any money to get a better paint suplier.

don't start no sh*t, won't be no sh*t!
'04 g35c DG/G 5AT premium, performance, aero kit, pedals, clears, stillen lower valences

Old 04-14-2004, 12:51 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

It has nothing to do with infiniti having cheap paint. Its because you probably drive on the freeway alot or you drive on rough roads with lose rocks. What you describe happens to all cars, not just infiniti.

<hr></blockquote>

Yep, sure is right!

Old 04-14-2004, 03:52 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I think once again...its the design of the front....not the paint..
I owned a couple of sports cars so far and each and every one, regardless of make or paint type, sustained damage due to the road sand/rocks/debris.....

The other cars which did not have as low of a front end faired much better......believe us on this one....your dads' lexus probably has a much higher front bumper area so its not fair to compare the two.....

Look at some other forums sites..I.E. - Corvettes, or BMW's or even Honda s2000's, I bet they all complain about the same thing....just a fact of life with a sports car......

04 cpe IP/willow/5at/prem/18's/JDM clear corners/Piaa's/MTEC H4 Super White fog/highs

Old 04-14-2004, 08:20 PM

i think its safe to say, that everyone expects there front end to get chipped by rocks and other things like that. but the g35 c, is abnormally bad. ive only owned sports cars. they were never this bad. my last car was a 99 vette, and the front end on that had a few chips, but nothing even close to my g. i think the majority of g owners would have spent a little extra, if it meant better quality.

Stock 5AT/ 20% Tint

Old 04-15-2004, 12:17 AM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im gettin my front bumper repainted this weekend :/!! It looked horrible and was embarassed. iLLG

Wat'ssss Realllyyyy Goooodddd!!!!!

Old 04-15-2004, 12:48 AM

no, its not life with a sports car. i have owned a vette, and a 3000gt. neither had as bad paint as the g period. and as for my fathers lexus es being higher, i went out to look at them side by side and the g has a higher front profile. he has very minor chips on the front end. cheap paint!!!!!

don't start no sh*t, won't be no sh*t!
'04 g35c DG/G 5AT premium, performance, aero kit, pedals, clears, stillen lower valences

Old 04-15-2004, 09:23 AM

No, it's life with ANY car, welcome to the real world!!!

Old 04-18-2004, 09:13 AM

My brother had a 3000GT and the hood was riddled with paint chips after only a few years. Not sure what year it was but the federal govt made them stop using lead in paint and that would be the year where paint chipping became a major problem for all manufacturers... maybe you love this car a little more and notice it more but they are all the same.

2003.5 5AT Sedan Black/Black Premium/Winter Packages

Old 04-18-2004, 02:12 PM
WRAH

I'm going to China and having my whole car repainted with solid lead, black gloss paint, Then I'm replaceing the body with depleated uranium! No more chips for me!

"What if there is no tomorrow....There wasn't one today!!!" Bill Murray
'04 OB/GL Prem.Pkg./Sport.Pkg/Splash

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front end looks like its 5 years old