Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

How much pressure to use with PC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much pressure to use with PC

I've been doing some research on different styles and techniques to maximize paint correction with PC...but lots of disparity in terms of pressure in order to properly and fully break the product down.

What do you guys do? How much pressure do you apply? I've heard a lot of 12-15 pounds...but that somehow winds up being subjective. One guy said to push until it stops spinning, then let up just enough so it starts spinning again. Others say to apply pressure just until it starts to bog down. I've also seen some people try to count rotations per second. Autopia how to said "just enough pressure to keep the pad in full contact".

I'd love to hear others opinions and techniques. Thanks!

Old 05-13-2008, 04:16 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by TheIvoryG
I've been doing some research on different styles and techniques to maximize paint correction with PC...but lots of disparity in terms of pressure in order to properly and fully break the product down.

What do you guys do? How much pressure do you apply? I've heard a lot of 12-15 pounds...but that somehow winds up being subjective. One guy said to push until it stops spinning, then let up just enough so it starts spinning again. Others say to apply pressure just until it starts to bog down. I've also seen some people try to count rotations per second. Autopia how to said "just enough pressure to keep the pad in full contact".

I'd love to hear others opinions and techniques. Thanks!
After some experience you begin to get a feel for the sweet spot, but most of what you read is correct. You don't want the buffer to bog on you, that's too much pressure, ~15 lbs sounds about right, just enough so the pad continues to spin while applying pressure. I usually start with more pressure and back down if I apply too much (begins to bog).

Good luck! Keep us posted on how you make out and what you ended up doing.

George

Old 05-13-2008, 07:15 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I apply as much pressure as necessary to just barely begin to bog the buffer down. This differs with the pad stiffness and size, which is why I like to use smaller 4" pads. I can apply more pressure and get better breakdown

Old 05-13-2008, 11:45 PM
best way is to actually mark the backing plate and the pad with 4 lines. if the pad stops rotating you know you have too much pressure. and with the lines there you will be able to see it.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:45 PM
best way is to actually mark the backing plate and the pad with 4 lines. if the pad stops rotating you know you have too much pressure. and with the lines there you will be able to see it.