Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

is clay bar supposed to get really soft?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 12:51 AM
rca
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is clay bar supposed to get really soft?

I tried using a clay bar on my G35 this weekend and I've got some questions about the process...

1. What should be the consistency of the clay/how should it feel?
2. How much lubricant does it take to clay a G35?
3. What kind of residue should be left behind?

Here's what I did:
It was about 65 degrees out, and somewhat cloudy, so the sun was mostly not beating down on the car. I used the Pinnacle PolyClay kit from Autogeek, which included the Pinnacle PolyClay and the Pinnacle Clay Lubricant.

I cut one of the 2oz. bars in half and started to use it. At first the clay bar felt very firm - it took a lot of force to stretch it or fold it over. As I started to use the clay I could feel what the instructions describe about the clay grabbing at first and then gliding smoothly over the paint. As I worked on the roof of the car there was relatively little residue and it buffed off fairly easily.

Okay, so far so good, as I continue to go over the car the clay is starting to get softer and easier to stretch/fold/knead. Well, by the time that I'm about half way done the clay felt like uncooked dough - it was really squishy and easy to stretch. It was also really slippery from all the lubricant and it felt like I could just rub the clay over the car without spraying the area with lubricant. Also there was a lot of residue being left behind, some of which buffed off, but some didn't want to buff and just washed away with water (after I was done).

I ended up using the other half of the bar to finish the car, and by the end that piece of clay was also really squishy. In all, I'm guessing I used 8-12oz. of the lubricant.

So, getting back to my original three questions, does what I describe sound correct? Did I screw something up here?

Thanks in advance,
-rca

2004 5AT Coupe | Blue-Graphite | Prem-Sport-Aero | NAV, in Boston?!? Yea Right, Guy

Old 04-26-2004, 10:29 AM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: is clay bar supposed to get really soft?

1. It all depends on the temp. I've clayed in 90 degree weather and 20 degree weather. In 90 degree weather, it literally falls apart in your hands if you use too much pressure. In 20 degree weather it was a bar of soap.

2. The more the better.

3, A nasty chalky film.

---------------------------------
http://www.anythingbox.net

Old 04-26-2004, 06:18 PM
rca
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks afr0puff, those were just the answers I needed to hear for some reassurance that I was doing the right thing. Also, now that you mention it, "chalky" is a very accurate description of the residue that I had. I don't think any of the various instructions that I've read online or the ones that came with the kit mention anything about that stuff (clay consistency, residue, total amount of lube).

Now my girlfriend is bugging me to help her with her car (a corolla-s) so I guess that'll give me another chance to experiment and hone my skills.

-rca

2004 5AT Coupe | Blue-Graphite | Prem-Sport-Aero | NAV, in Boston?!? Yea Right, Guy

Old 04-26-2004, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use alot of quick detailer when I clay. Buy one of those big bottles of Meguiar's Quik Detailer. Make it so the clay is virtually hydroplaning across your paint with the quick detailer.

Good that you cut a bar and used a piece. Throw it out when you're done. Constantly kneed the clay so the little bits of crap you're removing get stuck inside the bar so they can't scratch your paint.

Don't clay too often. Once a year is probably more than enough. It's fun to do, you can actually hear it work.