Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Question about getting the swirls removed...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 01:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by win2456
went out an bought a 3-step maguire's deep clean/wax system. This is what I did:
-washed my car, dried with shammy
-applied first step cleaning system, wiped off with microfibre cloth
-applied the 2nd step wet paint look system, wiped with microfibre
-applied the 3rd step caranuba wax, wiped with microfibre.

the paint and the car looked AMAZING one I was done. Next day I was looking at my car, and in direct sunlight (midday), I see these weird cloudly marks that look like it was a bad buff job. so, I ignore it since the car looks perfect all the time except when there is really bright sun and you are looking at the paint from specific angles.
2 days ago, I washed my car again, waxed (3rd step caranuba wax only) and wiped off with microfibre... the weird buff marks are still there and are now bugging me...

did i mess up my car??? :'(
what can i do to fix this? do i have to buff it out?

btw, the 3-step meg system did not take care of ANY swirls whatsoever.. it's CRAP!

car color: black
First of all, the 3 step system is not crap. You didn't use it correctly. Go to Meg's website and learn how to use it. It is a nice product for average users. As someone above told you, it DOES NOT REMOVE SWIRLS. I don't care what anyone says.

Second, you did not mess up your car (at least I don't think you did). You just need to wash it again to remove some of the wax residue that you left on the car when you removed the wax. If that doesn't remove the haziness, just rewax that area and see if that works.

Third, if you want to REMOVE swirls, I suggest you go to Autopia.org and read about it. With the help of that site, I taught myself how to detail my black coupe and it looks great and stays that way. If you want your car to look nice, do it yourself. It isn't that hard and it gives a feeling of accomplishment.

Good luck.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:05 PM
i did one part at a time. i'm pretty sure i didn't let it sit that long... also, i wax the same way... do i need to let the wax dry before taking it off? how long is safe?

so, how badly would i have decreased the life of the paint/clear coat when i'm done re-doing everything?

You won't have decreased the life of the paint one bit. Trust me.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheIvoryG
Nice pics up there.

Personally I don't do it for the cost saving, or put a value on my time. I just like doing it myself, and take pride and joy in making my car look clean. Some prefer to just pay to have it done, and I don't blame them. As long as it gets done...hehe
Thanks; the Accord was really abused and I have it at around 95% swirls removed (clear coat is etched some places that might require some more wetsanding).

I do agree with you 100%; but getting obssessed with detailing is a horrible thing. People will never understand why you are too "cheap" to drive your car through an automatic carwash (and why washing your vehicle is a 45 minute process) or why your MF towels are kept in their own ziploc bags... Not to mention the horrible feeling you get when your car is slightly dirty.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Cassman
First of all, the 3 step system is not crap. You didn't use it correctly. Go to Meg's website and learn how to use it. It is a nice product for average users. As someone above told you, it DOES NOT REMOVE SWIRLS. I don't care what anyone says.

Second, you did not mess up your car (at least I don't think you did). You just need to wash it again to remove some of the wax residue that you left on the car when you removed the wax. If that doesn't remove the haziness, just rewax that area and see if that works.

Third, if you want to REMOVE swirls, I suggest you go to Autopia.org and read about it. With the help of that site, I taught myself how to detail my black coupe and it looks great and stays that way. If you want your car to look nice, do it yourself. It isn't that hard and it gives a feeling of accomplishment.

Good luck.

phew... what a relief.. thanks for the tips. i'm gonna check out autopia and learn how to properly wax my car and see if i can remove those swirls

Old 07-02-2008, 10:39 PM
phew... what a relief.. thanks for the tips. i'm gonna check out autopia and learn how to properly wax my car and see if i can remove those swirls
You will actually need to polish the vehicle since wax is used as the LSP. Good luck and Autopia has some great videos on how to polish.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by Asad_A203
Thanks; the Accord was really abused and I have it at around 95% swirls removed (clear coat is etched some places that might require some more wetsanding).

I do agree with you 100%; but getting obssessed with detailing is a horrible thing. People will never understand why you are too "cheap" to drive your car through an automatic carwash (and why washing your vehicle is a 45 minute process) or why your MF towels are kept in their own ziploc bags... Not to mention the horrible feeling you get when your car is slightly dirty.
I agree. Our obsession is something most people will never understand. Not always a good thing either.