Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Detailing Tips!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 03:06 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
Thumbs up Detailing Tips!

I wanted to post this in some other detailing thread but could not find one that would relate to what I'm about to post.

So Instead of posting it in some other detailing threat I figured I'll open separate thread where not only me but the rest of you could post some detailing tips that not widely known and used. Maybe something that you came up on your own or heard of somebody else and don't mind sharing with us.

So here is my tip.

As you all know that windows on the cars are just like paint and they like to collect all kinds of nasty **** on them that does not want to come off with simple window cleaner. So we are forced to use the clay bar on them as well.

I have been trying to clay my windows for some time. And all my attempts failed miserably. I would use car detailing spray, soap water, simple water as lubricants and nothing worked they way I wanted to.
I would spend hours claying the window and barely remove anything.

So few weekends ago when I was washing/detailing my G I decided to try and use windows cleaner as the lubricant for the clay bar.

And it worked like a charm.

I did not have to wipe the window down and re clay the same area over and over like I did using other lubricants.

Using window cleaner I could get all the crap off the window allot faster.

The cleaner I used was just a regular Invisible Glass that you can find at any auto parts store.

I used it just like you would use any other lubricant. Simple spray on the window and use clay bar. If area gets too dry then spray some more.

Obviously the clay bar had to be thrown away after such claying.

Share the gift of knowledge.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great tip. Hope to use this to get out stubborn water spots on my customer's cars.

As for my own tips... I don't know if I have any tricks up my sleeve. I detail by the book. lol

If I remember or come up with anything, I'll be sure to post in here.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny you mention that. My window was looking horrible. Looked like 1000's of fine particles all over it. I washed the car last night and still looked the same. I thought WOW what the hell? Then I took some window cleaner and wiped down really good. Most of the specs were gone.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:07 AM
My tips are weak; just the average tips for detailing:

You can clay your car quicker by just using the water on your car (distilled water bottle as lube) after you do a wash and doing a second rinse than dry (Might not work so well if your paint is heavily contaminated; use a QD just incase)

You can use ONR/Car wash soap as a QD/Clay lube

Wash from top to bottom

Use a grout sponge for lower body panels and Sheepskins mitt for upper panels

Do not ONR wash with a sheepskin mitt unless you don't mind having a mitt thrown out every 3-4 washes

Remove the nozzle off your hose to sheet water; allows you to dry your car with a single WWT

Using KAIO/KSG as RainX/wheel sealant is an excellent idea

Using KAIO on your exhaust tips after a polish makes taking the crap off later on a joy (one wipe)

Wetsanding is NOT as bad as it sounds; try it on a junk part and judge for yourself

Applying Polishing in a X pattern on your polishing pad means you have a less chance of dropping polish when you apply it to a vertical surface (I'm a newb so forgive me)

Armour-All has its place; the tirewells

Leather cleaners DO NOT actually do anything special for our seats than a regular pH balanced cleaner

Magic Eraser DOES NOT go well with coated plastics (thanks guys )

Do not apply Tire Shine to the inside of your tires; especially if you plan to drive on a wet road

No matter how much work you put into getting your car all nicely cleaned and putting a couple layers of wax on it; it can all go away after a single drive through car wash

^^ All general stuff; probably much more I am forgetting

Old 08-17-2008, 01:53 PM
great tips.... most of them common knowledge, but for those who don't wash their car themselves, these would help.

i don't know if other's use this, but wd40 makes taking bugs off my front bumper easier. I don't know how safe it is though.

I used to use a chemical called Acrylsol (sp?) that i got from a buddy with a body shop (mercedes body shop). Made taking ANYTHING off easy. Tar behind the rear tires would come off with one swipe.... Wish i still had some. (but it may be dangerous for your paint, so don't let it sit, spray and wipe)

Wash your car in the evenings when the suns about to go down. It's cooler, and less chances of the water drying up on your car, causing water spots...

Old 08-18-2008, 11:56 PM
Originally Posted by SVLRx
great tips.... most of them common knowledge, but for those who don't wash their car themselves, these would help.

i don't know if other's use this, but wd40 makes taking bugs off my front bumper easier. I don't know how safe it is though.

I used to use a chemical called Acrylsol (sp?) that i got from a buddy with a body shop (mercedes body shop). Made taking ANYTHING off easy. Tar behind the rear tires would come off with one swipe.... Wish i still had some. (but it may be dangerous for your paint, so don't let it sit, spray and wipe)

Wash your car in the evenings when the suns about to go down. It's cooler, and less chances of the water drying up on your car, causing water spots...
It might have been Prepsol; body shops use that for prepping before paint.

WD40 is definately great for getting junk off the car; but I am a bit hazy also on how safe it is. It definately strips any wax/sealant on the vehicle and I also heard sleazy dealerships use it to fill imperfections in vehicle paints.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:09 AM
i only use the WD40 if i can't get the bugs off/ i don't have any bug remover around.... But i keep my car waxed monthly so i really dont have a big bug removal problem.

I use stoners invisible glass, on my windows, i know most of y'all know about it, but yea, for those who don't, go out and get a can. Trust me, you'll be happy....

Trending Topics

Old 08-19-2008, 01:15 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
is this "WD40" that you guys talking about?

Old 08-19-2008, 03:08 AM
yup.... just reg. WD-40, I don't use it often, but will break it out if i need to....

Old 08-19-2008, 04:15 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
ohh nice

Old 08-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Question

Originally Posted by Asad_A203
Do not ONR wash with a sheepskin mitt unless you don't mind having a mitt thrown out every 3-4 washes
I have definitely noticed that ONR seems to eat through sheepskin mitts. Whats a good alternative? I'm not sure i have ever seen a detailing howto that didn't recommend using sheepskin?

Old 08-21-2008, 08:44 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
My Detail tip....!

My best detail tip is to keep your car in the garage when not being driven....if
you don't have access to a garage invest in a good car cover. By using either of these the gunk won't collect on your cars....I use both!
Gary.... HEY, that's my 5000 post!

Old 08-25-2008, 09:18 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 09-04-2008, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by kalak451
I have definitely noticed that ONR seems to eat through sheepskin mitts. Whats a good alternative? I'm not sure i have ever seen a detailing howto that didn't recommend using sheepskin?
Microfiber Chenelle (MF things that stick out like crazy over the mitt) wash mitts. They don't seem to be killed by ONR washes; although they do get dirty. One of the members on Autopia has a youtube video of showing how to do an ONR wash with one; I find them alright. I also have used Grout Sponges (cheap) for lower panels. I keep all my sheepskin mitts for the old fashion wash .

Old 09-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
My best detail tip is to keep your car in the garage when not being driven....if
you don't have access to a garage invest in a good car cover. By using either of these the gunk won't collect on your cars....I use both!
Gary.... HEY, that's my 5000 post!
Car cover too once it parked in the garage. I rarely drive my car (4-5 day stretch) and after a fresh wax on the weekend I find it absolutely covered with dust. I hate having to do a quick detail to get the dust off .