Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Help..swirl scratches after using a 'gritty wax'..best way to fix?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 11:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help..swirl scratches after using a 'gritty wax'..best way to fix?

So my friend swore by this wax called G10, it's made somewhere in Europe.
He told me to use it as a cleaner wax first with an orbital.
After I used it...I saw major swirls on my car. It's Obsidian Black by the way.
certain parts almost looked 'gray-faded'. This is under fluorescent light in the garage.

Any ideas how to get this out?...am I screwed?
Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Old 08-28-2008, 12:36 AM
I've never heard of it, but a wax gave you swirls? And he recommended using a wax with an orbital? Something just sounds wrong here to be honest with you.

I doubt you are screwed, but you have some work ahead ofyou. You need a good polish job at this point I'm assuming, but hard to tell without pictures. Doesn't sound like you used a true wax, unless it was a wax that was "gritty" because there was literally dirt in it. Polish, get the scratches out, then throw that wax away. Follow up with a quality LSP...

Old 08-28-2008, 12:45 AM
Thanks Ivory..I know..I wanted to post pics, but b/c of the fluorescent lighting and the black color, it just doesn't pick up what I'm talking about very well.

Should waxes not be applied with an orbital or rotary of any kind?
All by hand?

What's an LSP?

I'm thinking of using some of the Klasse cleaner wax and then polish I have to see if that'll work. I usually put it on by hand and then take it off with an orbital.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:43 AM
Sounds like you have hazing as a result of a course polish. From what I can see on the web, G10 is not a wax at all. They have couple of different polishes, but i can't fined any with a protectant. Personally, I would find a finer grade polish and go over the whole car. But a good lesson here is to always try out a new product on a smaller area of a car before going at it. If the swirls are pretty bad, I would go with something like a Menzerna IP and FP to get rid of the haze and finish it off. It's going to be work. Unfortunately, it's harder to remove swirls than it is to make them.

What machine did you use to polish the car?

Old 08-29-2008, 03:15 PM
Is the g10 a heavy cutting polish or rubbing compound? What pad did you use with the buffer? You can try to remove the hazing and swirls with Ceramic Clearcoat Polish. If that doesn't do it you might have to start with Power Gloss and then the PO106ff. If you only want to do local stuff, try and pick up some Meguairs Swirl Remover 2.0 and maybe finish up with Meguiars Machine Glaze #3. I would test all future products on a test panel or small section before doing the whole car.