Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

18" wheel touchup paint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
18" wheel touchup paint

Alright, so unfortunately I have a couple curb scratch marks along the rim of my wheel. It's sorta blackish scratchy looking. Is there paint that matches my 18" wheels on my g35 coupe that will match the wheel to help cover it up? It really bothers me.

thanks,
chance

Old 05-27-2004, 12:11 PM
Re: 18" wheel touchup paint

No one?

Old 05-27-2004, 04:28 PM

There is no match that's even close. Either have it done professionally (they won't match it exactly either) or buy some testors and mix different colors until it matches.

2004.5 Coupe/5AT/Ivory/Everything but front spoiler/Nismo CAI/Crawford V5

Old 05-27-2004, 05:26 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Cats right.....many have tried.....but with little or no good results....
I used Testors Silver Chrome and Anthracite Graphite colors...mixed up a couple of batches until I got the color right, then touched up the wheel until I had it repaired professionally....

I had my front rim repaired back in Dec...did the same thing you did....curb rash.....Cost me $150......but they did a pretty descent job of matching the factory color.....If you want it done right...then go to your dealership and see if they have a outside place like mine did that does their rim repairs.......I'd attach a pic of my repaired rim...but everyone has seen it a million times.....
do a search for rims or damaged rims....it should be in there somewhere...
Dennis

04 cpe IP/willow/5at/prem/18's/JDM clear corners/Piaa's/MTEC H4 Super White fog/highs

Old 05-28-2004, 12:45 PM

Glad I saw your post. Just dinged mine over the weekend and was about to ask the same question you did. One person on this forum said the hobby shop anthracite gray metallic #2711 mixed with testors silver until you get it right worked for them. So try that. If I get to it before you, I'll post and visa versa.

Old 05-28-2004, 06:35 PM

Let me know how it turns out, I probably won't do this until I move into my house in about 2 weeks.

Old 05-29-2004, 01:39 PM
WRAH

Okay believe me or not.... Plastikote "Chrome," looks the best on or wheels. Thats the best match I've found so far. The cap looks nothing like our color but its really really close!!!!

"What if there is no tomorrow....There wasn't one today!!!" Bill Murray
'04 OB/GL Prem.Pkg./Sport.Pkg/Splash

Old 05-29-2004, 11:27 PM
WRAH

I did mine, and then clear coated it. It still looks great, only minor discolor.

I take some pics and show!

"What if there is no tomorrow....There wasn't one today!!!" Bill Murray
'04 OB/GL Prem.Pkg./Sport.Pkg/Splash

Old 06-01-2004, 09:47 PM
rca
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the process right now of touching up a couple of scrapes around the lugnuts on one of my wheels. I bought a whole bunch of different testor's paints to try to match the color including Aluminum, Steel, Silver, Chrome Silver, Anthracite Gray Metallic and Graphite Metallic.

Once I tried them out I was surprised by how dark the paint on the wheels is compared with the silver and chrome silver.

None of the paints match exactly, but I've found that Graphite Metallic is the closest match. Anthracite Gray Metallic is probably the next closest, and it might be possible to create an exact match blending those two, or blending either Steel or Anthracite Gray Metallic with just a little bit of black to darken them up. In my case, with the scrape around the lugnut where it's harder to see I'm happy with the Graphite Metallic.

Most importantly, I had a lot of trouble getting the finish to be smooth using tooth picks or a #5/0 brush (extremely fine). I ended up cutting up a foam wax applicator and glueing some small pieces of foam to the ends of tooth picks. I get a tiny droplet of paint onto the foam and dab it onto the scraped area. It takes a few layers to get the paint to thoroughly cover the surface, but that's the best way I've found to blend the touch-up paint in and have the color and texture of the surface look right..

I should be done tommorrow. I'll try to get pics up this weekend.

Best of luck
-rca

2004 5AT Coupe | Blue-Graphite | Prem-Sport-Aero | NAV, in Boston?!? Yea Right, Guy

Old 06-03-2004, 05:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

By accident ......I found one.....
My wifes 2000 Toyota 4 Runner Limited is white with the silver trim on the bumpers/wheel wells.
Her silver touch up paint is almost an exact match.
Good luck.

"I like you.....You remind me of myself when I was young and foolish"

Old 06-03-2004, 08:52 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The testors paints need to be thinned a little to make coverage easier.......I found it will flow much better if you thin the mix....

04 cpe IP/willow/5at/prem/18's/JDM clear corners/Piaa's/MTEC H4 Super White fog/highs

Old 06-04-2004, 04:44 PM

awesome, i'm looking forward to pics.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:50 PM
I just got a used coupe with some curb rash on my 19" rims and decided to mess around with it myself. I tried the testors paint with anthracite gray and silver chrome by brushing, but at certain angles you could easily see a two tone difference because the paint isn't really reflective, it doesn't match that well, and isn't blended by spraying. Also tried a bmw wheel touch up with the same results as before. Then I tried a duplicolor silver wheel coating and the color was too different. Finally, I tried Ghost Chrome paint from Alsa and it matched really well, plus it gave a nice shiny metallic look. I also tried it on spots where there was some black spot stains, I guess from some acid discoloration, and now I really can't see any difference. The stuff is a little pricey though, but worth it to me for the ease of mind. They sent the wrong color chrome paint at first but they replaced it for free and let me keep the other paint as well.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
This thread is 5 years old...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 18" wheel touchup paint