Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Need advice with ScratchX/Scratch Doctor vs. polisher.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 02:23 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Need advice with ScratchX/Scratch Doctor vs. polisher.

Hey guys,
I got an 08 G sedan in white.

The car had a $hitload of rust speckles and contaminants on the paint. So a claybar was needed.

Normally I'd have a detailer do this but my buddy convinced me he's done it before and wanted to do it for me so we did it one day at work. We claybarred it, changing the clay every other panel/door. Car looked great, applied some spray wax and off I went.

Then in the sun the other day, I noticed a hell of a lot of little scratches all over the body, nothing deep, but thousands of swirls and scratches nonetheless. Having a white car they are barely noticeable, but I know they're there. I'm not sure if these are all from the clay, but I haven't noticed them before. Maybe the paint is very clean now and they're more noticeable.

Car's never been polished before.
Question is: Is it safe to use ScratchX all over the car vs. giving it to a professional detailer (Polisher with a machine)? My concern is, I don't want to remove too much clearcoat and I'm wondering if ScratchX is safer, and less clearcoat removal than a pro with a polisher?

Thanks guys, any input helps

EDIT: After some research, scratchX is the final step for deeper scratches. I'd need multiple polishes before any of that, looks like too much of an effort going around 2-3 times by hand with different cut polishes. I might just leave this to the pro.

Last edited by johnnyzee; 04-25-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:41 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
Find that guy on here is username is Nikku I believe. He's a Toronto local and will come to your house and detail if need be. The work that I've seen has looked amazing.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post up some pics of your car....it would help to see how bad the condition of the paint is.

Send a PM to Picus, he is the one to give the best advice to you.

ScratchX is ok for a quick fix up but to use it for the entire car....I would stick to proper methods of using a dedicated polish via random orbital polisher.

Either way, you will not remove very much of the clear coat. Its very miniscule.

If your coming out to the detailing meet in May, you will see what can be done to your car.