Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Volk Dish Cleaning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2009 | 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by bougizu
I tried to dry the lip, and there is still that haze... someone suggested Mother Mag/Aluminum cleaner... anyone use that?
Volk lips are not aluminum; they are anodized, so i think we should use proper cleaners on them. I heard that a lot of ppl use Mothers Product to clean their wheels. I think it is Mothers wheel cleaner.

Old 05-13-2009 | 01:48 PM
I tried to dry the lip, and there is still that haze... someone suggested Mother Mag/Aluminum cleaner... anyone use that?
I have this and it doesn't really clean anything just makes it shiny for a day or two.

Old 05-13-2009 | 02:01 PM
what do you guys use to wash and dry your lips? will a sponge work to clean the lips as well as the lips or will that scratch the lip?

Old 05-13-2009 | 02:05 PM
Overglorified Altima
Originally Posted by roblo
I have vellano wheels, and they recommend Eagle One nevr-dull for the chrome.
volk lips aren't chrome, so how does that help here? unless you've tried eagle one never-dull on volk lips, too...

Originally Posted by nismoz
Volk lips are not aluminum; they are anodized, so i think we should use proper cleaners on them. I heard that a lot of ppl use Mothers Product to clean their wheels. I think it is Mothers wheel cleaner.
anodizing is a finish, aluminum is a metal. and for the record, aluminum can be anodized.

i use a mild mix of meguiars gold class soap and water. i use something similar to quick detail in between washes. it's a concentrate and comes in a gallon. much cheaper than quick detail. gotta look at it to get the name, though. don't remember it.

have you tried using DI water?

Old 05-13-2009 | 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by Calvin
volk lips aren't chrome, so how does that help here? unless you've tried eagle one never-dull on volk lips, too...

anodizing is a finish, aluminum is a metal. volk barrels aren't aluminum, but for the record...aluminum can be anodized.

i use a mild mix of meguiars gold class soap and water. i use something similar to quick detail in between washes. it's a concentrate and comes in a gallon. much cheaper than quick detail. gotta look at it to get the name, though. don't remember it.

Volk barrels ARE aluminum. Volk lips are anodized, and if you see hazing/micromarring, there is nothing you can do to polish that out without completely stripping the anodizing and polishing the bare aluminum. You will then be left with a bare aluminum lip that will have to maintained on a regular basis using a metal polish to remove oxidation

Old 05-13-2009 | 02:08 PM
Overglorified Altima
^^^lol, ninja edit before you posted. i caught my mistake.

OP, have you tested the hardness of the water you're using?

Old 05-13-2009 | 02:13 PM
|

anodizing is a finish, aluminum is a metal. and for the record, aluminum can be anodized.

The Mag/Al cleaner is apparently for all metals, which is why I was asking if someone has tried it.

http://www.autogeek.net/motmagalpol.html

Old 05-13-2009 | 02:17 PM
The Mag/Al cleaner is apparently for all metals, which is why I was asking if someone has tried it.

http://www.autogeek.net/motmagalpol.html
It is for all polisheable metals, anodizing cannot be polished

Old 05-13-2009 | 02:18 PM
i just use old fashion soap and water to clean mine. Then dry it off with a microtowel.

Old 05-13-2009 | 02:20 PM
|
OK so the consensus is that there is nothing out there besides refinishing to shine these rims?

I have been using soap/water microfiber cloth.. just wanted to know if there was something out the to bring the shine back.

Thanks.

Old 05-13-2009 | 02:24 PM
Overglorified Altima
OK so the consensus is that there is nothing out there besides refinishing to shine these rims?

I have been using soap/water microfiber cloth.. just wanted to know if there was something out the to bring the shine back.

Thanks.
http://my350z.com/forum/repairing-an...h-on-lips.html

but you'll have to maintain them be polishing them again every so often

Old 05-13-2009 | 02:32 PM
|
http://my350z.com/forum/repairing-an...h-on-lips.html

but you'll have to maintain them be polishing them again every so often

Hmm maybe ill try that... mine look like his before pictures except with white spots.

I could always just get the dish powdercoated black...

Old 05-13-2009 | 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by redlude97
Volk barrels ARE aluminum. Volk lips are anodized, and if you see hazing/micromarring, there is nothing you can do to polish that out without completely stripping the anodizing and polishing the bare aluminum. You will then be left with a bare aluminum lip that will have to maintained on a regular basis using a metal polish to remove oxidation
So how can we keep our Volk lips not to get haze? Is there any possible way to protect them? As I posted earlier, I got a small haze on one of my Volk lips and I dont know why it happened. So I'd like to know how did it happen and avoid it happens again. Thanks.

Old 05-13-2009 | 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by nismoz
So how can we keep our Volk lips not to get haze? Is there any possible way to protect them? As I posted earlier, I got a small haze on one of my Volk lips and I dont know why it happened. So I'd like to know how did it happen and avoid it happens again. Thanks.
Make sure they are protected with a good coat of sealant and use proper wash techniques.

Old 05-13-2009 | 03:10 PM
|
Im going to try out that link... strip it all down and then polish it back up. Boeing makes a metal coating called Boeshield T-9, supposed to be amazing to protect metals and its 'buffable'. Ill use that to protect the exposed metals after I strip. Im excited, thanks for your help guys!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Volk Dish Cleaning