Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

How to "prep" for Clearbra

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2010 | 02:08 PM
|
How to "prep" for Clearbra

I was thinking of Washing , Claybar , Polishing ..then the Clearbra . Is this right ..or should i wax or seal before ????

Old 03-01-2010 | 08:03 PM
You want nothing to be in between the paint and clear bra. They should prep your car for you, since even the tiniest speck of dirt will create a bubble. Don't use a wax or sealant.

Old 03-01-2010 | 11:22 PM
Dark: dude, I havent seen you post up in a while...maybe I just missed them???

anyway, you dont have to do anything. Your bra installer will/should ask you if you want the car detailed prior to install (yes you have to pay for it). If you dont, and there are a bunch of scratches and swirl marks, they will show up under the bra and there is nothing you can do, just like scratches under the clear unless you remove the clear/bra. they will also clean the paint and "de-wax" the paint for the install as you want the bra on bare paint.

Where are you going for the application?

Old 03-02-2010 | 01:17 AM
|
Originally Posted by Envious Eric
Dark: dude, I havent seen you post up in a while...maybe I just missed them???

anyway, you dont have to do anything. Your bra installer will/should ask you if you want the car detailed prior to install (yes you have to pay for it). If you dont, and there are a bunch of scratches and swirl marks, they will show up under the bra and there is nothing you can do, just like scratches under the clear unless you remove the clear/bra. they will also clean the paint and "de-wax" the paint for the install as you want the bra on bare paint.

Where are you going for the application?
I'm not sure yet,..I'm from Montreal Can.

Old 03-02-2010 | 02:23 AM
I just gave mine a good wash (without wax)
the installer rewashed it though when I showed up and claybared it. he used no wax.

I have my front bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors, all clear-bra'd.
It's been over a year and it's help up here in the snow/salt/rain/dirt/road trips.
best investment in my car I've made yet.

Old 03-02-2010 | 02:40 AM
I need to have my front bumper clear bra redone, what do you guys figure i'm looking at for costs? Also, I've heard you have to wait 6 months after a fresh paint job, which i'm looking to respray the front bumper, which is why i'll have to have it redone lol.

Also, anyone installing there own? I've heard its relatively easy, better then paying a shop!

Old 03-02-2010 | 07:30 PM
unless you have the tools and time, it may or may not look that great, plus there is no warranty when you do it yourself! But if you can, more power to you and you saved some money!

you have to wait for the paint to "outgas" which is why you dont wax after a repaint as well. front end will cost about 400-500 roughly, upwards of 1000 as well

Old 03-04-2010 | 12:16 AM
I would FOR SURE polish the paint myself first. If you don't know how, you want to see if the guy installing it even know how to polish paint. The spot where the clear bra is going should be thoroughly polished and then wiped down with a 50/50 mix of water and isopropyl alcohol to totally clean the paint and any left over oils from the polish.

Old 03-04-2010 | 12:31 AM
I got my bumper, hood, mirrors done for $800. Much like everything else I've done to my car, don't regret it a bit. My 2K Max has so many specks on the bumper and hood, it looks like it was sandblasted. This paint is really delicate on these cars.