Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Tire dressing not giving up the shine!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 07:31 PM
D87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire dressing not giving up the shine!

I have Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires. For some reason I just can't get the tires to shine with any dressing. Either it gets flung off or absorbed.

Is it because it's an all-season tire and it repels liquid for better traction to begin with?

Old 02-15-2012, 07:38 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
i use DWS as my winter wheels and i noticed that the shine wears off quickly. I thought it was just me

Old 02-15-2012, 07:44 PM
D87
Do I have to resort to high gloss black paint???

P.S. I'm kidding, of course, no flaming please...

Old 02-15-2012, 07:58 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I dont know...just gotta do it more often i guess. Great tires though, I havent had any issues in the snow

Old 02-16-2012, 10:53 PM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I will recommend using Mother's Tire Shine with a kitchen sponge. I have DWS also and the tire shine stays on for a great amount of the time. Pretty much all you have to do is take the sponge cut it into 3rds and spray the Mother's Tire shine directly onto the sponge then rub the sponge onto the tire. Go over the same spot 2-3 times nice and easily.

All of that is available at autozone and it lasts for a good 2-4 weeks for me depending on if it rains, snows, or not. hope i helped!

Old 02-17-2012, 11:57 AM
D87
Originally Posted by BlackG35Shine
I will recommend using Mother's Tire Shine with a kitchen sponge. I have DWS also and the tire shine stays on for a great amount of the time. Pretty much all you have to do is take the sponge cut it into 3rds and spray the Mother's Tire shine directly onto the sponge then rub the sponge onto the tire. Go over the same spot 2-3 times nice and easily.

All of that is available at autozone and it lasts for a good 2-4 weeks for me depending on if it rains, snows, or not. hope i helped!
Yeah? Ok I'll try that. Is it super shiny or just sorta or satin-like? Thanks!

On a side note, reading your first sentence with the words "Mother's" and "Kitchen" and "Sponge" - somehow a picture popped into my head of my Mom applying tire dressing onto my tires...

Old 02-24-2012, 01:40 PM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
I have DWS also, to get the tires nice and black, I use a product called "Bleche-Wite" and a stiff bristle brush. This get's the tires nice and black and gets rid of that brownish film on the tires. Then hit it with some Meguiars tire foam while everything is still wet from washing. Leaves a nice deep satin finish for quite a while.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
get some adams vrt. Best out there

Old 02-27-2012, 04:17 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I'd plasti-dip them.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:26 PM
D87
Originally Posted by jstudrawa
I'd plasti-dip them.
Do you not care that I will crash and burn?

Old 03-12-2012, 12:18 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by D87
I have Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires. For some reason I just can't get the tires to shine with any dressing. Either it gets flung off or absorbed.
Is it because it's an all-season tire and it repels liquid for better traction to begin with?
Here's my process, I use Meguiare's Endurance and I put it on with an applicator. After it sits for a couple hours I take a paper towel and wipe off the excess so I don't get splatter on the sides of my G. Dry it should leave a semi-gloss finish that will last for months although it may take a couple applications to get the results you like. All season or not what type of tire you're running shouldn't make a difference using Meguiare's...Gary

Old 03-12-2012, 07:38 PM
D87
Originally Posted by gary c
Here's my process, I use Meguiare's Endurance and I put it on with an applicator. After it sits for a couple hours I take a paper towel and wipe off the excess so I don't get splatter on the sides of my G. Dry it should leave a semi-gloss finish that will last for months although it may take a couple applications to get the results you like. All season or not what type of tire you're running shouldn't make a difference using Meguiare's...Gary
I put on a layer of 303 Aerospace Protectant to safeguard the rubber. Now I'm not sure if any other liquid I put over will stick lol. I would love to get the shine so I will put on and wipe off and put on several more coats to see how it goes. Of course as I'm planning this it's suppose to rain all week in the Bay Area.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by D87
I put on a layer of 303 Aerospace Protectant to safeguard the rubber. Now I'm not sure if any other liquid I put over will stick lol. I would love to get the shine so I will put on and wipe off and put on several more coats to see how it goes. Of course as I'm planning this it's suppose to rain all week in the Bay Area.
Never heard of this stuff D87 but it shoulds like something I'd use on the rubber around our doors and windows not tires. It may preserve the tires but will it dry them out not allowing them to flex without cracking....my concern. It's going to rain here this weekend, looks like I'll be driving my wife's Vette. lmao
Gary

Old 03-13-2012, 02:02 PM
D87
Originally Posted by gary c
Never heard of this stuff D87 but it shoulds like something I'd use on the rubber around our doors and windows not tires. It may preserve the tires but will it dry them out not allowing them to flex without cracking....my concern. It's going to rain here this weekend, looks like I'll be driving my wife's Vette. lmao
Gary
It's good stuff, been using it for years:
http://www.303products.com/shop303/i...protectant.cfm

It's basically UV protection for rubber, plastic, you name it. They say it's good for tires as well (well, any rubber compound guess). It's given my tires a matted look. I mainly put it on to protect against the brown effect but now I want to add stuff that makes them shiny so I'm trying your multiple layer method and see what happens - of course after this week is over and the rain has gone away!

Old 03-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Tire shine pisses me off, it flings everywhere, it glues brake dust to wheels....keep the rubber clean FTW. lol

That being said if you must have it, Black Magic has a pretty good product that I've always had luck with in the past.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire dressing not giving up the shine!