Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Exterior detailing and maintenance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2013 | 09:43 AM
|
Question Exterior detailing and maintenance

As a new owner of an '07 G35 S, I'm reasonably new to having to take proper care of the exterior of my vehicle. I previously owned a '94 Celica that ran well, but looked sickly (an issue that was beyond my control as it was my first car which was a gift to me, and was in poor shape aesthetically when I received it). This new G is beautiful, and I want to take the proper precautions to keep it in prime condition.

I'm posting this thread for advice regarding clay bar use, polishing, all-in-one materials, and waxing.
*First, I'm aware that I can hunt around online and find some answers, but I'm opting to ask here first, as people on here seem knowledgeable for the most part in maintenance and care.
*Second, there are probably other threads regarding this, but I don't know how old they are and materials and methods change with time.

With that being said, I'm searching for advice regarding frequency of use of each of the above listed items, as well as brands of each that are preferred by people on this site. I look forward to hearing back from people and getting some good opinions and advice. Thank you!

Old 02-06-2013 | 09:58 AM
Also use our SEARCH function for any questions you might have!

Click on FORUMS then Tech Area followed by Care/Detailing. Everything you read there is current and relevant. What you're asking has been discussed a gazillion times as you'll discover by following my directions....Gary

The following users liked this post:
BAAG35 (02-07-2013)
Old 02-06-2013 | 09:59 AM
|
Originally Posted by gary c
Click on FORUMS then Tech Area followed by Care/Detailing. Everything you read there is current and relevant. What you're asking has been discussed a gazillion times as you'll discover by following my directions....Gary
Very good! I appreciate it very much.

Old 02-06-2013 | 04:41 PM
Also check Autogeek.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle_Bub (02-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013 | 04:45 PM
|
Originally Posted by superchargedg
Also check Autogeek.
Been reading a bunch and watching their videos. Also been reading a lot on DetailedImage.com as well as threads on this site. Learned a lot today.

Old 02-07-2013 | 11:45 AM
Theres definitely plenty of resources. As for brand of materials, I have always had really good luck with Meguires product. little more on the expensive side compared to other brands in the store but I think you get what you pay for. Maybe its all in my head.

Old 02-08-2013 | 06:55 PM
Chemical guys is an awesome brand. they have plenty of youtube videos on how to detail your car professionally. i highly recomend their products.

Old 02-11-2013 | 03:45 PM
|
I do hear good things about Chemical guys, and I think when I run out of my current materials I'm going to give their stuff a whirl.

I spent most of Saturday detailing with the following items:
-Mother's California Gold Clay Bar Kit
-Meguiar's Polishing Compound
-Meguiars #6 Glaze
-Two coats of Mother's Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax

It turned out looking fantastic. I did it all by hand as I currently do not have a electric or pneumatic car polisher (hopefully in the future). I imagine it would look much better even with a powered car polisher. I've never done all the clay barring, polishing, etc. process before and am absolutely at how much cleaner and more pure the paint looks. Any swirl marks left are about 1/5 of what they were previously, and the white just pops even more now. I am wondering if I should put a coat of sealant on before the wax. I figure I really don't need it too bad, as every month or so (will vary depending on the weather) I'll do a good wash with Meguiar's shampoo and then put two coats of wax on. Planning on doing the deep clean process every 3 months or so.

Old 02-12-2013 | 01:41 AM
RCL