Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Polish Vs. Wax

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2005 | 08:27 AM
|
Polish Vs. Wax

I know this is a noob question but im a noob so here goes...

Whats the difference between polishing a car and waxing a car?

Flame away! Thanks

Old 02-23-2005 | 09:11 AM
Devil's Advocate
Polishing is basically using a very mild abrasive to clean and polish the paint. It removes swirl marks, minor scratches and oxidation. Think of it as extremely gentle sanding.

Waxing involves adding a layer of protectant over the paint to add shine and protect from the elements. It's usually a polymer or actual wax (caranuba).

Old 02-23-2005 | 02:38 PM
in addition to what was stated polish can add depth of shine and wax can give a car the wet reflective look.

Old 02-23-2005 | 05:42 PM
From: Metropolitan South Farmington, not too far from the supercity we all know as Wilmot, NS
Just a hunch, but I think Brooklyn was referring to the number of products that protect and provide gloss, but are not actually "wax". Wax is generally pretty soft, bonds loosely to the car, and is rapidly affected by the elements. Again in general, man-made polishes or protectants can have much stronger bonds and fair better against the elements. For a show car that spends most of its life inside, or under a cover, it is possible, done well, to have a spectacularly deep shine with wax, but the effort is high, and results short-lived, relatively speaking. Here's a link that compared several products, seemingly without prejudice (the author's own stuff ranked 3rd best)

http://www.nsxsc.com/nsexcitement/waxtest.html

A quick search of the web will yield other similar experiments that yielded similar results. I am biased towards the winner of the test. Having used that product since purchasing my G in Feb 03, I have been thrilled with it.

Along with my car, I've helped others with cars such as a black 86 Merc SL560, a silver 85 RX7, a twilight blue 85 MR2 and a slate blue 2000 Saab 9-3 that was bought off a lease return (poorly cared for paint), all original paint. In all cases, my friends were blown away. The cars looked new when we were done.

Old 03-04-2005 | 01:42 AM
The main problem is all the company mis labeling thier products, saying they are cleaner waxes and polishes when they are glazes.. Or the funny one is a polish that contains no abrasives.... hmmmm!

Old 03-04-2005 | 04:43 AM
Originally Posted by roneski
Polishing is basically using a very mild abrasive to clean and polish the paint. It removes swirl marks, minor scratches and oxidation. Think of it as extremely gentle sanding.

Waxing involves adding a layer of protectant over the paint to add shine and protect from the elements. It's usually a polymer or actual wax (caranuba).

OK, I will add another stupid question. Everybody here seems to recommend Zaino, which is a polish. Since it contains a very mild abrasive, does it do any harm over time to the clearcoat. How frequently should you be reapplying?

Old 03-04-2005 | 08:32 AM
zaino has no abrasives, so technically it is not a polish