Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

help with swirl marks...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with swirl marks...

i have a black 6mt, i have used nxt, gold class, 3m wax, ec ect all make the car look amazing afterwards and they all say they will last a really long time, so how come every time i wash my car with the softest mit ever, with good soap, that claims wont strip wax, its all swirrled up again, its so frustrating, any help is appreciated, thank you

Old 06-23-2005, 10:58 PM
My guess would be that everything you used had swirl fillers and not swirl removers, It is is extremely difficult to remove swirls by hand. Without a random orbit polisher, it is next to impossible. If you're doin everything by hand, chances are you fill in the swirls, it looks good for a little while and after a few weeks, etc, you see more swirls.

Check the mitt you are using. Be sure it good quality and clean. Keep your drying towels clean and wash them frequently, same with your polishing MF's. Clean frequently!

Old 06-23-2005, 11:40 PM
Call the Cops
Zaino it.. i had the same problem

and ive been satisfied ever since i applied the first coat

order some Z6 spray, Z2, z5,and Z PC

Old 06-24-2005, 03:30 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigedx2002
i have a black 6mt, i have used nxt, gold class, 3m wax, ec ect all make the car look amazing afterwards and they all say they will last a really long time, so how come every time i wash my car with the softest mit ever, with good soap, that claims wont strip wax, its all swirrled up again, its so frustrating, any help is appreciated, thank you
get rid of the wash MIT

doesnt matter what kinda wash mit it is.. wash mit traps dirt.. you'll have one hell of a time cleaning it after a wash but while your washing it'll trap dirt from the wash.. just use microfiber towels.. start from the top to bottom.. use a sponge to rid of bug crap before you wash.. try not to get anything on ur towels and wash ur towels in a seperate bucket from your soap bucket. also the back of our cars collects more dirt then the front. do the bottom of the bumper, side skirts, areas under the car, and areas behind the front and rear tire last. if you notice your towel becoming dirty (i use yellow microfiber because it turns greenish when its dirty) just go get another one.

edit: even with that you'll have a LITTLE bit of swirls.. nothing 1 coat of any type of wax wont fix..

Last edited by EricIsKlumzyee; 06-24-2005 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by Klumzyee
get rid of the wash MIT

doesnt matter what kinda wash mit it is.. wash mit traps dirt.. you'll have one hell of a time cleaning it after a wash but while your washing it'll trap dirt from the wash.. just use microfiber towels.. start from the top to bottom.. use a sponge to rid of bug crap before you wash.. try not to get anything on ur towels and wash ur towels in a seperate bucket from your soap bucket. also the back of our cars collects more dirt then the front. do the bottom of the bumper, side skirts, areas under the car, and areas behind the front and rear tire last. if you notice your towel becoming dirty (i use yellow microfiber because it turns greenish when its dirty) just go get another one.

edit: even with that you'll have a LITTLE bit of swirls.. nothing 1 coat of any type of wax wont fix..

I don't agree with this. I good wash mit is made from wool, which does not trap dirt, which is why they are made from wool in the first place. MF towels were created to better trap dirt and dust.

read here for more info...

http://autopia.org/forum/index.php?

Old 07-24-2005, 10:24 AM
thank you for your help guys, i think ill try out zaino

Old 07-24-2005, 11:28 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey, I have a black car too and had a similar problem, even with multiple coats of Z5. I went out and grabbed Meguairs ScratchX which removes (not fills) any swirls or surface scrathes by hand that aren't deep enough to warrant an orbiter. I used it on the entire car then followed up with a coat of Z5 and so far (it's been about 2 weeks) it still looks good. I've washed it once since then and the swirls are still much less noticable. We'll see how it holds up in the long term. I got it for $12.99 CAD fyi.

Trending Topics

Old 07-24-2005, 11:53 AM
G SQUAD
One thing you can do is to reduce producing swirls in the first place by . . .

1) Rinse the car REALLY well before washing.
2) Use two buckets when washing -- one for the soapy water and one with just water to rinse the mitt in between soaping.
3) Wash in only back and forth directions. On all flat surfaces (roof, hood, trunk) wash front to back. On the sides wash up and down. Remain consistent on on all panels (i.e. don't just mix it up for the hell of it).

To remove swirls, like D said, it helps to have a machine (or a bionic arm, that always comes in handy) and use a product that is mildly abrassive to physically remove the swirls.

Try Detailing Dynamics Step 1 and 2 or try Zaino's new swirl remover. The DD steps 1 and 2 both contain abrasives, with step 2 being a mild polishing abrasive and step 1 being more like a light compound. Zaino's new product actually contains diminishing abrasives, and for the first time for Zaino will actually remove swirls as opposed to just filling.

Old 07-24-2005, 12:09 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Diesel1
My guess would be that everything you used had swirl fillers and not swirl removers, It is is extremely difficult to remove swirls by hand. Without a random orbit polisher, it is next to impossible. If you're doin everything by hand, chances are you fill in the swirls, it looks good for a little while and after a few weeks, etc, you see more swirls.

Check the mitt you are using. Be sure it good quality and clean. Keep your drying towels clean and wash them frequently, same with your polishing MF's. Clean frequently!
Correct. I would recommend getting a Porter Cable 7336SP from Lowes $100, then go to www.autopia.org and learn how to get rid of the stuff and what products to buy. I just spent $450 bucks of detailing supplies to take care of this problem and work on other cars as well. The stuff you used was just wax, it isn't made to remove swirls. You can get some 3M Swirl remover for dark cars, and use the PC to remove it. It will work.

Edit: You also need to buy some good pads for the Poter Cable as well. Go with Meguires Pads or Sonus or Propel Pads.

Last edited by G35_TX; 07-24-2005 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:33 PM
G SQUAD
Originally Posted by G35_TX
Correct. I would recommend getting a Porter Cable 7336SP from Lowes $100, then go to www.autopia.org and learn how to get rid of the stuff and what products to buy. I just spent $450 bucks of detailing supplies to take care of this problem and work on other cars as well. The stuff you used was just wax, it isn't made to remove swirls. You can get some 3M Swirl remover for dark cars, and use the PC to remove it. It will work.

Edit: You also need to buy some good pads for the Poter Cable as well. Go with Meguires Pads or Sonus or Propel Pads.

The PC is good no doubts, but if you can swing the dough, I highly recommend the Cyclo. I don't own one, but have had the pleasure of using it. Much easier on the arms then the PC and the dual head design makes quick work of it.

Old 07-25-2005, 02:15 AM
where do u guys order Zaino products from?