Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Meguiars: NXT vs. Gold Class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2005 | 06:03 PM
|
Meguiars: NXT vs. Gold Class

I've been having trouble with discerning the differences between the NXT products and the Gold Class products from Meguiars. Both seem to be in the same premium category. However, it seems the NXT is more of synthetic type of product? Can someone out there help clarify this?

I have been using Gold Class for years and was curious as to how it compares to NXT.

Thanks, Damon

Old 07-20-2005 | 06:06 PM
you might try a forum search, i remember a discussion about the makeup of the NXT some time ago. Usage wise, the NXT applies and removes easier, personally i like it better.

Old 07-20-2005 | 08:31 PM
NXT is polymer based (synthetic). NXT's slickness lasts longer than the gold class wax from my use. NXT seems to look nicer on metallic paints. I used it on my DG sedan before and it looked really nice. I know NXT has some filling capability to reduce the appearance of fine scratches and such... not sure about gold class though.

Old 07-21-2005 | 07:54 AM
What FrizzleFry said...

You could also have a look on the Meguiars Forums www.meguiarsonline.com

TONS of info there....

Old 07-21-2005 | 09:51 AM
I used gold class in the past but currently use NXT. NXT is easy to put on and remove, and its ability to hide swirls is a big plus

Old 07-22-2005 | 02:04 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
<3 NXT! I've been using GoldClass wash tho.. i like it haha.. but yeah NXT hides the swirls and gives dark colors more of that wet look

Old 07-22-2005 | 02:14 PM
I use Gold Class too...but i've tried some of my friends NXT...It's good....it's been a month and the slickness of the paint is still there....Gold class doesn't last as long...

Old 07-24-2005 | 05:35 PM
Thumbs down NIx to NXT!

I bought a bottle of the NXT (and a Meguiar's drying towel <waffle pattern>)
yesterday at Pep Boys to clean up my 10 day old '05 MT in Diamond Graphite.
After careful hand washing (used separate rinse bucket) with microfiber
towels, I dried off the car off in the shade, what a BS product, "NO water
spots", my a$$, going back to a natural chamois.
As for the wax, sorry, I found it useless getting bug hits off nor did it
remove those frustrating little road debris hits that this car just seems to find. I dug out a old bottle of Racer's Edge polish out of the shed and both
the bug crud and debris dings were no more !. I plan to email or snail mail
Meguiar's to see if they stand behind their guarantee and get my $$$ back.
Just my $0.02

Old 07-24-2005 | 06:26 PM
Premier Member
Premier Member
Originally Posted by antne
remove those frustrating little road debris hits that this car just seems to find. I dug out a old bottle of Racer's Edge polish out of the shed and both
Just my $0.02
Actually, the good Microfiber towles do not leave water spots. But you have to mail order them. The waffle style ones are the best for this. And you must go by the wash procedure when washing the microfiber ones or it won't hold the water as good.

Old 07-25-2005 | 02:46 AM
Best way to avoid water spots is to not wash the car in the sun. And to use the hose w/out the nozzle to sheet water off the car. I use several different brands of waffle weave towels and all dry my car very well. As for what you were trying with NXT, it's not a polish. You're comparing a polish with a synthetic wax. NXT can hide the appearance of swirls, but doesn't remove them. Also I would recommend AGAINST using MF towels to wash your car. Not all MF is created equal. A good sheepskin wash mitt (target's are decent for OTC: Vroom brand).

Good luck on the next wash, but wash/dry in shade to avoid water spots. Also you didn't mention your rinse procedure. don't let that soap dry on the car and keep the car wet as you wash.

Old 07-25-2005 | 07:46 AM
Why would you use a wax to get rid of bug and road debris hits? Your car should be free of all debris before you begin any detailing process. If it isn't you are just grinding the debris into the paint.

My guess is Racer's Edge is really good at filling... You might want to spend some time educating yourself on detailing. I use NXT exclusively and no problems here (on black, red, and dark gray vehicles). I believe the NXT claim is that it helps to PREVENT water spots from forming. I don't know that it claims to get rid of them.

Originally Posted by antne
Just my $0.02

Old 07-25-2005 | 10:11 AM
^^ I agree with Jim....Check oust Meguiars online...I've learned some great tips from the people there

Old 07-26-2005 | 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by FrizzleFry
Best way to avoid water spots is to not wash the car in the sun. And to use the hose w/out the nozzle to sheet water off the car. I use several different brands of waffle weave towels and all dry my car very well. As for what you were trying with NXT, it's not a polish. You're comparing a polish with a synthetic wax. NXT can hide the appearance of swirls, but doesn't remove them. Also I would recommend AGAINST using MF towels to wash your car. Not all MF is created equal. A good sheepskin wash mitt (target's are decent for OTC: Vroom brand).

Good luck on the next wash, but wash/dry in shade to avoid water spots. Also you didn't mention your rinse procedure. don't let that soap dry on the car and keep the car wet as you wash.

Good call on the procedure and products Frizzle Fry.
Megs is nice but I prefer Poorboy's World, Menzerna, Klasse, P21S and others before I'd use anything Megs.
As far as I know there are no waxes out there that remove water spots. Waxes are generally designed to seal in protection not clean the paint. However there are some waxes like Klasse All In One that are a chemical polish in with protection as well. However I don't know if this will even remove water marks. You need a polish to get them out generally, I would recommend something like Poorboy's World SSR 2.5 to get them out and then follow it up with a coat of Poorboy's World SSR 1.0 and that will leave your G with no water marks and a brilliant shine.