Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Clear Bra Prep?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear Bra Prep?

Hey,
I am getting a clearbra done my car soon, and I was wondering, how did your installer go about prepping the car for the clearbra?

Because my detailer told me to leave the wax that was applied from the dealer, and do not have to claybar the car....but I was thinkink, wouldn't the wax on the car make it less sticky for the clearbra?

Thanks.

Old 09-19-2005, 04:47 PM
The only thing you need to do is prevent any rock chips before you have it installed. The installer will use rubbing alcohol to remove all wax before he installs it.

Old 09-19-2005, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ditto . . .

Old 09-19-2005, 08:45 PM
thanks for the replies.

my installer said, all he would do is spray the area which juss cleans the dirt.
he prefers to have wax on the car..but after searching it seems like people say to strip the wax before a clearbra install.

so i was wondering, is it ok to dawn just the front part of my car and claybar it, and once the clearbra gets on, should i wax it?

thanks again.

Old 09-19-2005, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I washed my car with dawn prior to the install. The application has been on for some 2 months and has seated quite well. The film is tight with no bubbles/blister, if you will.

I had applied Klasse AIO, 3 coats of Klasse SG and 2 coats of P21s carnuba wax prior to the application of the clear bra. So, I figured I had better remove it all from the front end.

Old 09-19-2005, 10:24 PM
thanks for the reply.

that is what i will do too. makes more sense to have nothing underneath the clearbra.
will strip with dawn, then clay it and wash it with some carwash stuff and have the installer come next day and install the clearbra!

thanks

Old 09-20-2005, 02:26 PM
Your installer should know how to prep the vehicle prior to installation. Good luck!

Old 09-20-2005, 06:59 PM
sorry to hijack the conversation, but since you guys are talking about clear bra, has anyone brought from this guy?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

The price sounds too good to be true, or is it actually expensive? I'm planning to put a clear bra on mine as soon as take delivery this weekend

Old 09-20-2005, 09:07 PM
wow thats CRAZY cheap. i think there is something wrong with it. correct me if i am wrong though.

Old 09-21-2005, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by GDonkey
sorry to hijack the conversation, but since you guys are talking about clear bra, has anyone brought from this guy?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

The price sounds too good to be true, or is it actually expensive? I'm planning to put a clear bra on mine as soon as take delivery this weekend
If you are planning to get a clear bra installed, I would not recommend buying it and then finding someone to install it. The installer you choose will have a brand of film that they prefer to use. Finding a good reputable installer is the way to go if you want the bra to look good.

Old 09-25-2005, 01:31 AM
gdonky, read the listing - it is vinyl used for signs and 100% worthless as a bra - opening bid + s/h is a complete rip off.

if you want one from ebay get one by 3M. (i got mine here ages ago) http://stores.ebay.com/Discount-Clear-Bras it was real 3M and it was a real tedious thing to install! You will need way more patience than you probably have, some luck and a couple of extra hands if you are going to put it on yourself! I did it once and I am not sure I would do it again.....

No idea if you can get it on ebay and find a place to install it but who knows. my car came from the dealer with the full boat already installed, buy my wifes car didn't, so I gave it a whirl. The way I figured it, if it took a couple of attempts I was still going to be far ahead of the game.

It was a pain though...

Last edited by WildWildWest; 09-25-2005 at 03:00 AM.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:38 PM
I just bought a clear bra kit from "chipgardman" on Ebay. The kit includes the bumper, hood, fender, and sideview mirror pieces. He shipped it pretty quickly. I just got it today. He's sending me the installtion CD, but I won't really need it since I downloaded two instruction videos from two vendors. I'm planning to install it myself and see what happens. The videos made it look easy, but I realize it's going to be a pain. I'm planning on spending six hours this Saturday or Sunday to install it myself. I'll keep you posted on how it goes. The material is 3M (8 mil.). The cuts seem ok, but I'll find out this weekend for sure. Wish me luck!

P.S. I paid around $160 shipped.

http://stores.ebay.com/Advantage-Cle...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Old 10-18-2005, 04:31 PM
What Happened you were to let us know

how the clear bra install went over last couple weekends? Sure would liek to know.

Old 10-18-2005, 05:16 PM
Z2G
Originally Posted by Calvintm
I just bought a clear bra kit from "chipgardman" on Ebay. The kit includes the bumper, hood, fender, and sideview mirror pieces. He shipped it pretty quickly. I just got it today. He's sending me the installtion CD, but I won't really need it since I downloaded two instruction videos from two vendors. I'm planning to install it myself and see what happens. The videos made it look easy, but I realize it's going to be a pain. I'm planning on spending six hours this Saturday or Sunday to install it myself. I'll keep you posted on how it goes. The material is 3M (8 mil.). The cuts seem ok, but I'll find out this weekend for sure. Wish me luck!

P.S. I paid around $160 shipped.

http://stores.ebay.com/Advantage-Cle...QQftidZ2QQtZkm
if you've never done it before, believe me, it's going to take you more than 6 hours if you want to do it correctly. on my first coupe, i did it myself and it took ALL day. i had to also go back and touch-up some areas the next day. for my second coupe, i just got it professionally done due to the hassle. the coupe is considered very difficult on install ratings due to the curves in the bumper.

Old 10-18-2005, 11:00 PM
Dont buy a kit off of eBay. Here are a few reasons why. You dont know what brand of film you are getting. You dont know if has a clearcoat or not. You dont know if it is a Brand name. You dont know if you are getting 6 or 8 mil. You have no idea if the film has been stored properly or how old it is, it could be 1st gen 3M. I have a ton more but im sure you get the idea.

Christopher
Pristine Autowerks