Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Any questions about detailing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 12:46 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Depends on what you get done and where you are. Your best bet is to get a couple local recommendations over at Autopia then ask them for an estimate. They'll be able to judge how much work your paint needs. Sounds like it probably just needs a single pass of a light compound (heck, even AIO might do it) followed by an lsp, so it shouldn't be too expensive.

Old 10-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by picus112
Depends on what you get done and where you are. Your best bet is to get a couple local recommendations over at Autopia then ask them for an estimate. They'll be able to judge how much work your paint needs. Sounds like it probably just needs a single pass of a light compound (heck, even AIO might do it) followed by an lsp, so it shouldn't be too expensive.

What exactly is Autopia (sorry, I'm a little new to G35driver. I'm not familiar with them)?

Old 10-30-2005, 02:17 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Oh sorry. Autopia is an automotive detailing forum. It's @ http://www.autopia.org/ . If you ask in the pro detailing section (or one of the local forums) for some local recommendations odds are you'll get some quality responses.

Old 11-02-2005, 09:11 AM
This is my first G related Post, i picked it up last night at 7PM, I swear they washed my G w/ a brilo pad because there are so many swirls in the paint, along w/ the water spots and glue residue. I have a ton of questions.

best way to remove the glue -ISO & water? followed by a wash?

How soon before I use any type of sealant/wax with winter coming i want to get something on the paint beofore the road salt.

What should i use for the firs wax do i need to clay bar and polish ?

Old 11-02-2005, 03:30 PM
For the deep shine on my Black coupe i use p21s when i first got my car it had terrible swirls so i went from black thru white pads with my dewalt dropping down a little each time on the compound or polish.
Navy i charge 114.95 for a car depending on the condition i know im the cheapest in my area so

Old 11-02-2005, 05:20 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Originally Posted by 6MT-Noob
This is my first G related Post, i picked it up last night at 7PM, I swear they washed my G w/ a brilo pad because there are so many swirls in the paint, along w/ the water spots and glue residue. I have a ton of questions.

best way to remove the glue -ISO & water? followed by a wash?

How soon before I use any type of sealant/wax with winter coming i want to get something on the paint beofore the road salt.

What should i use for the firs wax do i need to clay bar and polish ?
1) For glue removal, try goo gone - you can get it at any pep boys or automotive store. If that doesn't work try the isa:water, but I think goo gone will work.

2) You can seal/wax it right away. Modern paints require no cure time.

3) If you want to get rid of the swirls you need to polish the car. So wash/clay/polish/seal or wax is the order you go in. How to polish depends on if you want to do it by hand or by machine, or if you just want to get it detailed.

Old 11-03-2005, 09:15 AM
Any of you guys in cnetral NJ? I have a new G that need a polish and a Jeep that needs the once over before I sell it

Last edited by 6MT-Noob; 11-03-2005 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:35 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Check Autopia - you'll find someone there for sure.

Old 11-03-2005, 11:48 PM
what's the shelf life of liquid wax last?

Is there a rule of thumb on when to throw out

Old 11-04-2005, 12:26 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Depends on the brand. Usually you can tell if it's starting to go bad because it will start to smell different. Most of them are good for a year plus if you store them correctly. Pastes are good for just about ever.

Old 11-09-2005, 01:09 AM
Has anyone used any SONUS products? Thinking about buying some..... It seems that alot of people here use Zaino products.... any comparison with these two? PM me if you have an answer!! Thanks

Old 11-09-2005, 08:36 AM
Staff ALUMNI
You can't really compare Sonus and Zaino since one is mostly a line of polishes and dressings, and the other is sealants. Zaino has ZPC as a polish, I guess, but for the most part Sonus has a more fleshed out polish line, while they have no real sealants at all, which is Zainos most popular product. A better bet would be to combine them - polish with Sonus SFX polishes, then apply Zaino sealants. Zaino calls Z2/Z5 polishes which confuses people. They really aren't polishes they are sealants.

The only competing products they have are Sonus polishes (1, 2, and 3) and Z-PC. In that case Sonus has the advantages, since they have more products in the line. Also, they both sell tire dressings - but they are very similar. Zaino's is a wipe on wipe off, Sonus's is a spray on wipe off. Oh, they both have QD's too Z6 and Z8 for Zaino and detailing spritz and carnauba spritz for Sonus. All four are good products, I prefer detailing spritz but lots of folks love Z8.

Old 11-09-2005, 11:21 AM
CERTAUTOG35 and all, I have a BS 05 coupe. I have little spots on the hood. I think its from the leaves that sit on the hood over night. Or the tree that drops the leaves. Unfortunately I don't have a garage for my car. I can't seem to get them off with bug and tar remover or the clay bar. I think I may not be using the clay bar right seeing as I don't want to put too much pressure on it. Is there something I can use to get those little spots off my hood?

Old 11-09-2005, 09:58 PM
6Mt im in central nj in howell on rt 9 macr dont b to afraid of the claybar it is ur friend as long as it is not dirty and is lubed up with either spray wax or clean carwash soap and water

Old 12-14-2005, 05:11 PM
I've got an 04 BO sedan. It feels like it's never been waxed. We bought it used. The lady said she had it washed once a week, whatever that means. Probably one of those free car washes with a fill up. Getting the paint back to showroom condition sounds complicated. I dont want to turn this into a commercial or anything but is there just one or two products that would allow me to do this on my own? I looked on autopia and see there were no local guys on the board. What would you recomend for a used car like this? I feel more lost now than before. I have a Craftsman orbital that I use on my boat and figured I could just buy some Meguires and be in business.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any questions about detailing