Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Any questions about detailing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
g356spd,

Depends on what solution you use as some meguiars cleaners/polishes are more abrasive (have more cutting action) than others. When I remove swirls, cobwebs, and light scratches, I use meguairs DACP #83 (dual action cleaner polish) and it works great with meguiars buffing pad (yellow). As long as you go side to side then up and down overlapping 50% in a slow motion then you are doing it correct. Maybe you're not using the right combination.

-twantrd

Old 12-28-2005, 12:42 AM
thanks twantrd. i think i should just wait for the sonus products and sonus pads that they say to use it with. i think i'll be safe that way. hopefully it works =] but then again it is a black car and i realized that you can't get EVERY swirl and cobbweb out =/

Old 12-28-2005, 08:46 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
You weren't using the pad the PC comes with, were you? If so, toss it - it's garbage. When you get the Sonus pads and polishes give it another go and if you still have trouble post here.

Old 01-02-2006, 10:51 AM
I have been using zaino products with great results for a while now. but the results have been always on black cars. the car that i have a question on is a 1991 aztec red nissan 300zxtt that i picked up a few months ago. the car is in perfect condition, and has been garaged its entire life. it only has 40k miles on it and it shows becuase the car is in great condition. i have been using the zaino products on it and the car looks great, but not as good as the black cars all do. My question is what combination of products would be the best for red paint? im a perfectionist and i want the paint to come out like glass. thanks in advance

Old 01-02-2006, 12:42 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Well, since you like the look of Zaino you might lean towards another sealant. In that case Menzerna's FMJ is worth a shot. If you do decide to go with a wax I'd try Clearkotes Carnuaba if you like a slick gloss or Poorboys Natty's Blue if you like insane wetness.

Old 01-02-2006, 03:06 PM
thanks. where do you get the poorboys nattys blue? i have never even heard of it. im looking for a professional show quality shine, and something that i can layer to add depth if that is what it calls for.

Old 01-02-2006, 08:54 PM
Staff ALUMNI
I get most of my stuff from pakshak (www.pakshak.com) they offer 10% off to all Autopia members and they're very well regarded. If I were you what I would personally do is grab some FMJ and some Clearkote Carnuaba, put on a layer or two of the FMJ (24 hours in between layers) then top it with the wax. I'll bet my right nut that looks brilliant.

Old 01-03-2006, 11:36 PM
taping

I'm a newbie detailer (actually haven't purchased the PC and appropriate polish, sealant wax yet). I've been trolling here and autopia.org and I haven't seen much on taping. How does everyone tape the rubber around the moonroof or what you you remove the wax with? How about the Infiniti emblem on the trunk? What else do you tape or polish/seal/wax by hand?

Old 01-04-2006, 11:37 PM
How does everyone tape the rubber around the moonroof or what you you remove the wax with?
I actually don't tape anything around the moonroof. To remove wax, I just use a clean microfiber towel and do it by hand. Although, I'm thinking of purchasing one of those bonnets.

How about the Infiniti emblem on the trunk?
I don't have that problem as my rear trunk is completely debadged.

What else do you tape or polish/seal/wax by hand?
Everything is done on the PC except for the removal of solution (polish/wax). Again, I think everything is going to be done by a PC once I get the bonnets.

-twantrd

Old 02-22-2006, 06:51 PM
okay im new to all this waxing and polishing, but the other day i saw some guy in a tl and his paint was brilliant all i want to do is make my dg coupe shine like his dark grey tl, will poor boys natty blue do the trick, what else should i use and where can i get these products, online, or in a store like pep boyz?

Old 02-23-2006, 12:33 AM
Although I have not used the Poor Boys line of products, I have heard nothing but good news about them. I usually don't buy products off the shelf from pep boys and places like that since they don't really offer the good sealants and polishes. The only thing off the shelf that I have is:

1. stoners invisible glass
2. Meguiars tire cleaner and meguiars wet tire shine
3. Meguiars NXT wax

Everything else (drying towel, microfiber towel, claybar, cleaner, polish, quik detailer, wash mitt, soap) is bought online. However, I suggest you invest in a porter cable because it does wonders on your car. It's the best investment for my car that I have bought in terms of detailing. I used to do everything by hand and thought that was the best way but once you get the PC, you can never go back .

I buy my stuff on properautocare.com.

-twantrd

Old 02-24-2006, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by fabulustt7
okay im new to all this waxing and polishing, but the other day i saw some guy in a tl and his paint was brilliant all i want to do is make my dg coupe shine like his dark grey tl, will poor boys natty blue do the trick, what else should i use and where can i get these products, online, or in a store like pep boyz?
The Natty's Blue Paste Wax is a great way to add depth and gloss to the paint. However its a Carnauba Wax that offers very little durability so I always recommend applying a sealant on the paint before. Some of my favorite sealants are Poorboy's World EX-P, Klasse AIO, Menzerna FMJ (first choice). These sealants will protect the paint and add a great shine to it. All three are great in terms of appearance on the G and are very easy to apply/remove. After applying one of these I top it off with the Natty's Blue and its an extrodinary shine.

Old 03-07-2006, 10:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-daspol-kit.html

I've had my 2005 black G35 for almost a year now. I'm very careful when washing the car and use two buckets to reduce the chances of scratching the paint. That said, I do have some minor scratches I can see in the sunlight and would like to remove them. I would like to buy one package with everything included. Is the package I provided a link to the best deal? Does it have everything I need...other than clay and a detailing spray? Also, how often do most cars need to be polished using a porter cable machine...is once a year too much? Are the Sonus products as good as Poorboys and others?

Old 03-07-2006, 11:20 PM
Staff ALUMNI
The sonus polisher deal is a good one. You could likely find a similar price if you priced it all out from other sites, but it'd be within $10. It comes with some sfx-2 which is a good polish too. I'd say grab some wax/sealant, some clay and qd then the appropriate accessories (foam applicators, microfibre) and you'll be good to go.

Sonus polishes are good, I've had good results with them.

Old 03-15-2006, 10:19 AM
Here's one I posted in the Northeast Region, I'm in search of a reputable detailer around Jersey City or Rahway areas? I usually "detail" my own car, but I want to get it professionally done at least once. Thanks!