Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

1 day old '06 with a rock chip, plz help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 06:08 PM
workin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1 day old '06 with a rock chip, plz help!

hey guys, i picked up my '06 sedan yesterday afternoon and when i was driving around on a street at 40mph, i heard something bounce off my door. given that the nearest car was 100ft ahead of my, i didn't think much of it.

then this morning when i went to work, i saw a chip in the paint about the size of a tic tac! f@#! i just bought this car yesterday! do you guys know if dealers will fix this with touch up paint or something??? please advise...

Old 11-04-2005, 10:12 PM
you can use touchup paint, don't really recommend its the spot is big. if its only a tic tac size and its hard to see then use it.

Old 11-04-2005, 11:16 PM
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member
Location: Universe.Milkyway.Solarsystem.Earth.NorthAmerica.USA.FL.Tampa
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
touch up paint and langka.com. It works great but there is now finish like new finish. not certain where you are but I have seen the work of some folks called carsmetics and they do great work.

Sorry to hear about the damage.

Old 11-06-2005, 06:54 PM
workin...

any other ideas?

Old 11-06-2005, 10:39 PM
Just leave it as it is. It's just a car... which means you will have plenty more rock chips in the future. The dealership won't fix it because it is not a defect. I know that you want to keep it clean since it is a new car, but after 10k miles, you will have rock chips all over your front bumper and hood unless you get a clear bra.

Old 11-07-2005, 12:08 AM
workin...

Originally Posted by Rookie84
Just leave it as it is. It's just a car... which means you will have plenty more rock chips in the future. The dealership won't fix it because it is not a defect. I know that you want to keep it clean since it is a new car, but after 10k miles, you will have rock chips all over your front bumper and hood unless you get a clear bra.
yeah i have clear armor installed over lots of areas on the car.

anyway i called my salesperson and he said they can probably just touch it up at the dealership which would rock. i'll keep the thread updated...

Old 11-07-2005, 04:06 AM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by absolutg
hey guys, i picked up my '06 sedan yesterday afternoon and when i was driving around on a street at 40mph, i heard something bounce off my door. given that the nearest car was 100ft ahead of my, i didn't think much of it.

then this morning when i went to work, i saw a chip in the paint about the size of a tic tac! f@#! i just bought this car yesterday! do you guys know if dealers will fix this with touch up paint or something??? please advise...
I feel you on this absolut... Second day i had my '05 some SOB in a mercedes hit my car with their door... SUCKS, but hey what can ya do?

Old 11-07-2005, 08:32 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Have the dealer do it. If not, a detailer will. Rock chips on doors are rare - but if you're worried about them in the future I'd definitely recommend a clear bra.

Old 11-07-2005, 06:39 PM
rocks chips aren't that bad even larger ones when using touch up paint. a good detailer/body shop or even the dealer and get that done really well. i had a huge rock scrape across the front of my car leaving a couple of gouges in my paint. But with careful use of touch up paint, some wetsanding and polishing, it's not noticeable at all.

Old 11-08-2005, 08:05 AM
Two Words... Clear Bra. Do a search on it.

Old 11-08-2005, 08:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 05GSedan
Two Words... Clear Bra. Do a search on it.
Uh... He said he already has it. I don't think it would help his door. You can't wrap everything.

Old 11-08-2005, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by Cassman
Uh... He said he already has it. I don't think it would help his door. You can't wrap everything.
Sorry.. Wasn't paying attention to his other responses... If you don't have them, get some splash guards. After I installed them, I don't even get much dirt on my doors after driving for a while week. They do a great job, especially on the 05/06.

Good Luck

Old 11-09-2005, 02:28 AM
workin...

Originally Posted by 05GSedan
Sorry.. Wasn't paying attention to his other responses... If you don't have them, get some splash guards. After I installed them, I don't even get much dirt on my doors after driving for a while week. They do a great job, especially on the 05/06.

Good Luck
yeah mine came delivered with the painted splash guards. i think it was just some freak accident. i'll post pics after the dealer fixes it next week.

Old 11-11-2005, 11:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Foo_G
touch up paint and langka.com. It works great but there is now finish like new finish. not certain where you are but I have seen the work of some folks called carsmetics and they do great work.

Sorry to hear about the damage.
Does the Langka work good? I was thinking about buying that if it does.

Old 11-15-2005, 02:42 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
OK, I posted this in two other places but, what the hell, 3 time is a charm

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but I bought a bottle of the OEM touch up paint and noticed (just like on Grubbs), that only the Ivory Pearl requires touch-up paint AND top coat whereas other colors only require the touch-up paint. Is it because the IP is a softer paint? Just wondering. Over the weekend, my car got egged and I got everything off (I did Mother's Reflections base and then their Top Coat) and so all the egg was easily washed off. However, the damn egg left half a dozen or so nicks in the paint. So, I was planning on doing the whole routine with touch-up, Lanka, and if it is a bit dull (although I heard the OEM doesn't require top-coat except the Ivory Pearl) use a top coat from an auto store. I'll post some pictures on the before and after.

I just ordered the Langka myself and planning on doing it for the egging I got. It'll be hell to get all half a dozen little nicks but hey, better then to leave it there. I'll post some before and after when I get the kit (hopefully before the weekend).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 1 day old '06 with a rock chip, plz help!