Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

3M Scotchgard paint protection film

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3M Scotchgard paint protection film

I just got my new G35 coupe last week and naturally I want to keep it looking new. I've read that the front of the car can get quite beat-up from stones, sand and road debris. I would like to hear from other G owners who have had this 3M film applied and whether it did the job for them and how far up the hood they went with it. I would also like to know if there is a down side to this film. An auto graphics company here in Canada wants $800 CDN to do the job. Thanks

Old 01-25-2006, 09:09 PM
i think what you're thinking of is what we call the Clear Bra. I, and along with many members on the board have clear bras. i think its a very good investment that will definately help protect your car against rocks especially on the highway. it only goes up about a quarter or less on the hood and they also put it on your front bumper, rear fenders and side mirrors. I had mine done at the dealer so it was quite expensive for $700 US, but you could probably find it cheaper around $400 US. I think the only problem about it is that I heard of is that if you have a white car, it can become discolored (not certain though).

Feel free to check out my pics and see if you can actually see the lines. You gotta look pretty close to see them.

Old 01-26-2006, 01:02 AM
clear bra

Yes, I'm familiar with the term "clear bra". This is the same thing made by the 3M company. It's made of urethane and is not supposed to yellow like the old produce. My car colour is silverstone which is the same as your diamond graphite colour. The dealer no longer offers the product and that's why I had to go to a car graphics company. This company cuts and shapes the product right on the car for a tailor made fit. Thanks for your help!

Old 01-26-2006, 09:16 AM
I have it and love it. My detailer said that the G's are notoriously bad for getting rock chips due to the angles on the front end.

Some pics of mine are here:
http://www.imagemotorworks.com/scott/g35/

When shopping around, don't let price be your guide. Look at work that the installer has done before. There is a BIG different in a rookie and a pro and these differences will show everyday when you look at your car.

The only downside that I see to it is the slight line that you can see on the hood.

-GT

Old 01-26-2006, 01:00 PM
GTScott,

I was looking at your pics and I noticed that you had your radar detector wired into your rearview mirror. Did you have to cut any wires to do that (it doesn't look like you did). Could you give me an idea as to how much you paid for that unit, including the wires for the mirror? Thanks.

Old 01-27-2006, 02:03 AM
Thanks guys, I've got an appointment for a clear bra installation on Thursday.

Old 01-27-2006, 02:12 AM
post some pics when ur done

Old 01-27-2006, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by jsh198
GTScott,

I was looking at your pics and I noticed that you had your radar detector wired into your rearview mirror. Did you have to cut any wires to do that (it doesn't look like you did). Could you give me an idea as to how much you paid for that unit, including the wires for the mirror? Thanks.
That is the invisicord setup. Try www.invisicord.com. There is also a topic over in the Electronics forum. I think the cord was $14 shipped. It plugged right in in no time with no wires being cut or altered in any way. Great product!

-GT

Old 01-30-2006, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by GTScott
Some pics of mine are here:
http://www.imagemotorworks.com/scott/g35/
I can't even see anything. That's great. Does anyone have any other pictures?

Old 01-30-2006, 03:39 PM
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went to a Meet & Greet at MRC Motorsports the other day. One of the guys there had one on his black G and I could not even tell it was there.

I need to find one soon, I already have three chips on the hood and two on the bumper. It's only been five months.

Old 01-31-2006, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by Clay
I can't even see anything. That's great. Does anyone have any other pictures?
The only time you can really see the line on the hood is when you are getting light from the back. On the bumper, if properly installed you have to REALLY look to see if anything is there.

-GT

Old 01-31-2006, 04:20 PM
What type of place will install these? Is it pretty common?

Old 01-31-2006, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by Clay
What type of place will install these? Is it pretty common?
I am having 3M put on my car on Friday. Check this site for info:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3..._the/Consumer/

There are also other companies offering a similar product, some good, some not-so-good. Have a professional installer put it on as it is not a DIY project.

Old 02-04-2006, 12:01 PM
I went to the xpel site (one of the pattern vendors for 3M) to find a local shop. There were four of them. Checked out their work. The place I went to was $500 for hood, bumper, rear view mirrors, and door edge. Now for the drawback. The line is visible on the hood. Not very, but I know it is there. Also, there is a slight color difference in my Brilliant Silver. Finally, the texture is different - more orange peel than the factory paint. Again, mine is 3m (done last Aug). A friend of mine went with a lluminar product and it is much less noticeable as far as color/texture than mine is. So, you may want to keep your options open on this. But what ever you get - get one quickly. I can only imagine how my bumper would look each time I look at my front license plate frame!

sd_diver

Old 02-04-2006, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by sd_diver
I went to the xpel site (one of the pattern vendors for 3M) to find a local shop. There were four of them. Checked out their work. The place I went to was $500 for hood, bumper, rear view mirrors, and door edge. Now for the drawback. The line is visible on the hood. Not very, but I know it is there. Also, there is a slight color difference in my Brilliant Silver. Finally, the texture is different - more orange peel than the factory paint. Again, mine is 3m (done last Aug). A friend of mine went with a lluminar product and it is much less noticeable as far as color/texture than mine is. So, you may want to keep your options open on this. But what ever you get - get one quickly. I can only imagine how my bumper would look each time I look at my front license plate frame!

sd_diver
3M has come out with a new film... it is supposed to be less of orange peel effect. I had it put on my G yesterday. Of course you are going to see a line... you've got a piece of plastic film on your car. Compared to the protection it will provide, the line doesn't bother me a bit. And I'm really ****.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 3M Scotchgard paint protection film