Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Cleaning Black g35s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 02:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning Black g35s

what is the best wax for OB?

what is best for leather and dash cleaning?

thanks for the help

Old 03-22-2006, 10:47 AM
No simple answer to your questions. If you search this forum and autopia.org you will get a ton of suggestions.

That being said...
For wax/sealant, Zaino is hard to beat on a daily driver. I also think highly of Poorboy's EX and EX-P and Natty's Blue. Pinnacle Souveran is a good one for cars that are maintained a bit more. Jeff's Werkstatt's Acrylic Gloss is good and some put it ahead of Zaino. It's application technique takes a little time to get down right.

Leather cleaning - I use Woolite at 10:1 or 8:1 for cleaning. Zaino's leather cleaner is also good. Just be sure to condition after cleaning. For conditioning, Zaino's leather conditioner, Poorboy's Leather Stuff, and Lexol are my top picks for newer, undamaged leather.

Dash cleaning - For dust and such, a damp microfiber is hard to beat. If you have more than just dust, Meguiars Quick Interior Detailer is good. For tougher stuff, Detailer's Pride Total Interior Cleaner is wonderful stuff. For a Protectant, I like 303 and Poorboy's Natural Look.

-GT

Old 03-22-2006, 11:58 AM
Good grief. So many products.

How does one even know where to begin? lol

Old 03-22-2006, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by eledin
How does one even know where to begin? lol
http://www.autopia.org (and SEVERAL hours of careful reading)

Best of luck!
-GT

Old 03-22-2006, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by GTScott
http://www.autopia.org (and SEVERAL hours of careful reading)

Best of luck!
-GT
I disagree!!! More like DAYS!!!! LOL You can drive yourself crazy on that site!

Old 03-22-2006, 03:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Towel choice can keep your black looking new or can fill the finish full of swirls and scratches. Made-In-The-USA, 100% USA cotton, white towels. Spend the money now and save the effort later. Stay away from "premium" Egyptian cotton, etc, as that stuff is way too rough. Got mine at Bed, Bath & Beyond. Stay away from the "100% cotton" towels at autoparts stores, etc. Get some hand towels to use for washing (2), some bath towels for drying (2) and waxing (2).

And go front to back on horizontal surfaces, top to bottom on vertical surfaces. (It's fine to go back and forth in the proper direction, you're just trying to avoid circular motions).

Old 03-22-2006, 03:52 PM
Yea detailing is about finding out what works best with what time your willing to put into your vehicle and your vehicle's needs. Find a process that meets your specefic needs. I'll give you some recommendations for a two step paint treatment that protects the paint and gives maximum shine.
Here's my advice that I've had great results with in my detailing experiences.

Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket - best sealant I've used (super easy application/removal, amazing shine, great protection. Other great sealants are Poorboy's World EX, EX-P and Klasse AIO/HGSG

I like to top of a sealant with some extra pop from a Carnauba Wax. The P21S Carnauba Wax is my favorite but sometimes on darker paints the Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Paste Wax works best. The Natty's Blue has been specially formulated to show maximum depth and gloss on dark paints. This two step combo usually has a stunning appearance that turns heads.

For interior care I use the 303 Cleaner and Spot Remover. Works great on fabrics, vinyl, plastic and more. For leather care the Leatherique Prestine Clean and Leatherique Rejuvenator is the tops hands down in my opinion. Very rich conditioners and cleaning power that have kept all my leather seats looking tip top.

Last edited by Punchit; 03-22-2006 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:05 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I think the most important aspect for you to focus on now would be proper washing techniques. You will want to use at least 2 buckets with a few real sheepskin mitts. Use one bucket for clean soapy water and the other bucket as the rinse the mitt bucket.

I agree 110% with telling you to research on Autopia. I spend a great deal of time on that site and if you are concerned about keeping your ride looking nice I would suggest the same.

Black is a beautiful color but as you may know it shows every flaw. Keeping your finish as swirl free as possible will make it stand out amongst the rest.

Old 03-23-2006, 02:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No offense, GT-Ron, but I would caution you about using cotton. Maybe GT uses the proper cotton towels, but most people probably won't be as careful. I would suggest microfiber towels.

Old 03-23-2006, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by Cassman
No offense, GT-Ron, but I would caution you about using cotton. Maybe GT uses the proper cotton towels, but most people probably won't be as careful. I would suggest microfiber towels.
I will agree with that as well, but only from my personal experiences. I have had much better luck with microfibers. That being said, I believe that if you search and buy the CORRECT cotton towels you will be fine as well. It is just that most people don't do their homework and buy the cheapest thing they see.

-GT

Old 03-23-2006, 03:59 PM
Yea you guys all made great points. Especially on black paints you need to make sure you use proper washing techniques. I fill two 5 gallon buckets that are already clean with water and add shampoo to one and make it nice and sudsy. I then use the Sheepskin Wash Mitt to wash the paint, use something different on wheels and other heavily contaminated areas like undercarriage, behind wheels, wheel wells, etc. Keep the Mitt as clean as possible. I have microfiber wash mitts and microfiber towels for the other areas. After each wipe I make sure to thoroughly rinse the Mitt in the water bucket before putting it back in the suds bucket. While I've heard there are safe cotton towels I've had great luck with Waffle Weave Microfiber Drying Towels. I use two to dry the paint and I don't think they have been the cause of the few micro scratches I have. I think the Gs have a softer clear coat so this process is even more important.

After this again I would use a sealant instead of a wax, highly recommend the Menzerna FMJ, Klasse AIO/HGSG and then topping it off with a Carnauba Wax like the P21S Carnauba Wax or Poorboy's Natty's Blue.

Old 03-26-2006, 03:12 PM
for my black G35, I like Natty's, Meguiar's #26, and Pinnacle Paste Glaz.

Old 03-26-2006, 03:21 PM
Cotton towels, I heard some 100% arn't really 100%. Will this be the problem in brands??? (fake and stuff)

I did a search a while ago about cotton towels, you will know if it's 100% or not by "BURNING" it...If I didn't forget, they DON'T get smoke coming out (when you burn it) and the color of the flame is "green"...that's makes it 100% cotton...

Don't flame me about the flame...I am not 100% memerible about that...something like that...blue or green...NOT the fire red...for sure that is.

Kcc