Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

How to refinish your exhaust tips.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to refinish your exhaust tips.

So I noticed my car's exhaust tip's where shinny but had something on them that was dulling the finish. It was some kind of oxidation/ corrosion?!?!?. So here is how I refished them (An easy way)

1. Wash exhaust Tips good with soap and water and old rag.
2. Get a small bowl of water and some Steel Wool from HomeDepot type
(0000) rip off a piece of the wool and dip it in the water and scrub your
tip's till you notice them clean off and start shinning again.. For best
results keep using new pieces and finish scrubbing in a unicen direction.
3. Repeat Step1 also dry the tips.
4. Next you will need a metal polish and a cloth and microfiber. Just rub in
the metal polish (I used Mothers Bullit) with cloth and wipe off with
microfiber.

Wahhh Laaaa Perfect Polished Tips! There are many other things you can do but this very simple took about 20 minutes.. Alot of you know this but some might not. I figured I'd share the info as I became a metal polishing expert Polished my motorcycle frame by hand last summer. Looks like a mirror!

Old 04-12-2006, 10:04 AM
Good thread man, I was wondering how i was going to clean them up. I figured just to use the steaal wool and metal polish but it had some lil rust spots almost like freckles all over the tip but i wasnt really sure if thats all i needed to do.

thanx for the info!

Old 04-12-2006, 10:16 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Optional
Steel wool on your exhaust tips? Damn, thats harsh, don't do it. Better solution:

http://automotive.hardwarestore.com/...er-144527.aspx

1. Pour some on a cotton cloth, about a teaspoon.
2. Apply in random circles—let dry for a minute or two. You'll see when it's ready.
3. Wipe away with new cloth.
4. Voila...stand back and stare at your shiny metal that hasnt been damaged by steel wool.

It's cheap stuff, just buy it—you won't regret it. Steel wool will ruin the surface—that you would regret

Last edited by kidtronix; 04-12-2006 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:31 AM
^^^i have mothers chrome polish and it didnt really work all that well.
the point for me was to get the "big black dots" off...and it didnt work

Old 04-12-2006, 12:44 PM
a.k.a kleicoupe
Didnt the steel wool leave like swirl marks or scratches on the metal it sounds like a lil too much for chrome tips!!!!!!

Old 04-12-2006, 01:15 PM
Kindtronix you got NO idea what your talking about! It will NOT ruin the surface. Trust me I know... I can give you metal polishing 101 if you want...

The Ultra Fine Steel wool works realy well in taking all the contaminates off the metal. Just make sure you use "0000" kind. If your tips are REALY bad then use "00" then use "0000". I believe that "0000" steel wool is equal to 2000 grit sandpaper. You will scratch them up just a tad with this (kinda like a swirl marks on a car" But you will get it back down to bare metal. Thats why you finish off with the Metal Polish to take the light swirls out and make it Bling Bling!

Any other questions? I will be more then happy to help...

Old 04-12-2006, 06:51 PM
Hmmm, I could see this either way. I am not too familiar with the G35 exhaust systems...are they chrome plated or stainless?

If chrome, you would want to avoid steel wool. The steel wool WILL remove any contaminants on the metal....including the chrome "contaminant" itself. On my Mallett, I always use steel wool and a similar process to the one outlined above but those are not plated tips.

-GT

Old 04-20-2006, 12:11 PM
FYI:

I just got a PM stating how well this process works and how he can't believe how good the exhaust tips looked afterwords.

Old 04-20-2006, 12:33 PM
Here is my pm to infidsg35..

Hey man, thanks for that advice on cleaning the exhaust tips. They were just about opaque. there was no shine to it at all. i bought some "0000" steel wool and some mothers metal polish. WOW! The results were amazing! I wish i would of taken a before and after pic. now the tips have a mirror finish. I was like this... thanx again for the advice.

Old 04-20-2006, 12:50 PM
Here is a pic i just took from my phone. I didnt get to finish the tips because it was late last night. As you can see the spots i missed on the left and bottom left hand side of the tips. See how its just about opaque? Thats who the whole tip was.
I couldnt get the tip unscrewed so i did it laying down in my garage, very uncomfrtable. Im finishing the rest tonight. this pic doesnt do it justice since its from my camera phone.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...0/bf99a437.jpg

Old 04-20-2006, 12:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Are you guys doing this to the stock tips or aftermarket tips (like Borla). My Borla is simply polished stainless, so this process would probably work, but I will be honest and say that I would be afraid to try this on chrome. I'm wondering what it will look like after the polish wears off. (Not sure if that polish has fillers)

Old 04-20-2006, 02:26 PM
I have the Nismo exhaust. Im not to sure about chrome. I know this will work on just about any metal. Also not to sure about Ti as I never worked with it before..

All polishing is, is scratching the metal as fine as possible in steps. From lower grit to higher grit sandpaper. Then to compounds such as red tripoli, or white rouge. Then using some kind of liquid polish to finish it off..