Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

black g35 swirl removal ?'s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
black g35 swirl removal ?'s

New to this site, have been reading these forums and learned alot. Just bought a 9 month old black g35 and want to remove existing sctatches and swirls. I ordered poor boys ssr1, blue carnuba polish and sealer, and I also have a PC with various pads.
My question is should I use the ssr1 or will the polish cover all the swirls. I dont really want to use compounds on a car so new if I don't have to. (I bought the ssr1 for my truck). Any input would be great. Thanks.

Old 05-01-2006, 01:24 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
How bad are the swirls? Poorboys SSR1 is a very light finishing polish, and the polish with carnauba is a cleaner polish (no abrasives) and sealant, like All-in-one. Neither of them will remove more than *very* light swirls and marring. I'd definitely recommend SSR2.5 along with your order and use this process:

SSR 2.5 via a polishing pad, if that doesn't remove swirls try a cutting pad.
SSR 1 via a polishing pad to clean up the finish nicely
Polish w/ carnauba to seal.

I'd also order Poorboys Nattys Blue and top the sealant with that. It's one of my favorite waxes on black - super wet. You can see pics of it in action on my site.

Old 05-01-2006, 01:38 PM
Your picts look great. The scratches are light. Will the ssr1 work with a light cutting pad. I think I will order the wax also. Thanks for the info.

Old 05-01-2006, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by picus112
How bad are the swirls? Poorboys SSR1 is a very light finishing polish, and the polish with carnauba is a cleaner polish (no abrasives) and sealant, like All-in-one. Neither of them will remove more than *very* light swirls and marring. I'd definitely recommend SSR2.5 along with your order and use this process:

I'd also order Poorboys Nattys Blue and top the sealant with that. It's one of my favorite waxes on black - super wet. You can see pics of it in action on my site.
I agree with picus for the most part. The SSR 2.5 with a cutting pad followed by the SSR 1.0 and a polishing pad will get you the results your looking for. I've done this combination so many different times and it always significantly improves the quality of the paint. I do think that you would want to put down a pure sealant or atleast a traditional wax before using a carnauba based wax. This will give you a base coat of protection that will keep the paint looking good for months to come. Then I would top it off with the Natty's Blue, which is probably one of the best overall values in carnauba waxes.

Old 05-01-2006, 02:13 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Originally Posted by bryanmac
Your picts look great. The scratches are light. Will the ssr1 work with a light cutting pad. I think I will order the wax also. Thanks for the info.
You can try it, but like I said SSR 1 is a very light polish so I wouldn't expect too much from it in the way of swirl removal. Good luck and have fun!

Old 05-01-2006, 02:17 PM
i'd say ssr1 if you're the kinda of guy where you see the swirls but other people don't. if the swirls can be seen from a few feet away, then ssr2.5

Old 05-01-2006, 03:44 PM
The pics below are from detailing this weekend. Both pics are of the hood, with the first one being a side by side comparison of the swirled side (left) and the cabled side (right). I used the 7424 PC with SFX pads, 3M Perfect-It II Dark Colored car polish, Klasse AIO, SG, and NXT. Overall after 4 hrs. of detailing I was able to get out about 95% of the swirls.

Attached Thumbnails black g35 swirl removal ?'s-img_0556.jpg   black g35 swirl removal ?'s-img_0554.jpg  
Old 05-01-2006, 04:31 PM
.....and the polish with carnauba is a cleaner polish (no abrasives) and sealant, like All-in-one.
Really? I always felt some grit to the Pro Polish and assumed the PwC was the same stuff with a carnuba additive. I have some PwC but have never opened it. I am intrigued now. I go through AIO so quickly and the PwC would be a much cheaper alternative on the cars on which I was just using the AIO as a perfect surface prep.

As for the black G, I would take some Menzerna FPII to it and then step up to IP if the FP did not do it. It would be my assumption that the SR1 would not touch the swirls. The only thing is that SR1 DOES contain some silicone which may slightly fill the scratches. I have started doing a 50/50 iso-water wipe after the use of any of the PB SR/SSR line.

-GT

Old 05-01-2006, 04:48 PM
Staff ALUMNI
We're talking about the same stuff, right (http://www.detailcity.com/poorboys-polish-carnauba.html) ? I've always used it as a carnauba alternative to AIO - clean and wax in one step. I almost always top it with something though, because like AIO I find it doesn't offer great durabilty. It sure shines up nice, though.

Pro-polish does have some abrasives. I find it's cutting ability very similar to SSR1.

Old 05-01-2006, 04:58 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by yamanb
The pics below are from detailing this weekend. Both pics are of the hood, with the first one being a side by side comparison of the swirled side (left) and the cabled side (right). I used the 7424 PC with SFX pads, 3M Perfect-It II Dark Colored car polish, Klasse AIO, SG, and NXT. Overall after 4 hrs. of detailing I was able to get out about 95% of the swirls.
I believe the 3M stuff only fills the scratches it doesn't actually get rid of them.

Old 05-01-2006, 05:07 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Perfect It II is about the same cut as SSR 2.5, you just have to spray down afterwards with some isa:water to make sure its oils haven't filled anything.

Old 05-01-2006, 07:29 PM
the 3m is an abrasive cleaner and contains no fillers. I can confirm because I wiped down after with a water/alcohol solution and still couldn't see swirls.

Old 05-01-2006, 09:19 PM

Damn picus, I wish you served the NY/NJ area as well. We need your services down here. You should start a franchise or something . My car would really appreciate some detailing done by you.

Old 05-02-2006, 07:06 AM
Thanks for all the responce. Washed the car last night and the scratches are worse than I thought. Yes I am ****, probally like most of you guys, a clean car is a happy car.lol Im gonna start with the 2.5. Thanks again for all the info.