Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

How to Use a Porter Cable

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 06:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to Use a Porter Cable

Hello, i got a black G and tons of swirls and small scratched. i would say that the swirls are pretty deep. i'm looking to take them all out (as much as physically possible). i heard about the porter cable and, i'm worried that since its a rotery machine that it will just create more swirls. is it worth buying? can a highpowered rotery sander (w/ waxing/polishing pads) work? heh. i don't want to simply fill them in with Meguiar's NXT. how do you use the PC and will i need abrasive? i can post pics if it will help ppl help me. thanks

Old 05-10-2006, 07:05 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
the porter cable isn't a rotary, its a random orbital, which shouldn't introduce new swirls if used correctly. Check out autotopia.com for more info, they have some nice tutorials on the site

Old 05-10-2006, 07:40 PM
^^^ pretty sure he meant autopia.org. click on learn

Old 05-10-2006, 09:05 PM
^^^ +100000000000 that place is the place for detailing

Old 05-10-2006, 10:07 PM
thanks, but has anyone made there paint worst when using this?

Old 05-10-2006, 11:13 PM
WRAH
Originally Posted by aleok
thanks, but has anyone made there paint worst when using this?
Is that possible? I have one, and its pretty striaght-forward

Old 05-10-2006, 11:31 PM
I think it's possible if the user doesn't use the PC straight and comes in at an angle, causing burn marks. Also, I think if they are using the wrong pad, then that could be harmful as well.

At any note, I ordered mine from here:
http://autodetailingsolutions.com/Po...20Specials.htm

Old 05-10-2006, 11:42 PM
Ok if you burn your paint with a PC... you shouldnt be touching your car... cause from what i hear its "idiot proof"

Old 05-10-2006, 11:56 PM
i was at a ad-hoc detailing clinic and someone posed that question. the instructor basically said that "if you can burn paint w/ a PC, you are a very special person". that being said, it's not impossible.

i mean if you run it on 6 w/ a cutting pad and an extremely aggressive compound and sat on it in one spot for like 20 minutes, then yeah you could probably burn thru the paint. but that would go against common sense right?

Old 05-11-2006, 09:52 AM
Here is a quick how to I did on the PC and why you would want to use one.
The Porter Cable 7424 gives you more even distribution of heat and pressure, which is need when applying any detailing product. If you apply products by hand the pressure you exert through your fingertips will vary tremendously, especially through a multiple step detailing process. The buffing pad is 6.5 inches and the Porter Cable doesn’t get tired so you get consistent results throughout the detail.

The Porter Cable speed depends on what step your doing in the detailing process (i.e. polishing, waxing, etc). Abrasive polishes need a little higher speed 4.5 - 6, chemical polishes, glazes, sealants, waxes, etc are applied at 3.0 - 5.0 If its your first time using the Porter Cable or if your new to detailing start at a lower speed and increase it as you become more comfortable with the buffer. When applying abrasive polishes like the Poorboy's World SSR line and Menzerna's Intensive Polish and Final Polish II your going to have to apply more product than other steps in the process, especially if its a new pad. With new pads apply a thick ring around the outside of the pad and reapply regularly until the pad is no longer dry. The amount you'll need with other products will vary tremendously depending on which product you have. A good sealant will require a very thin coating around the outside edge. With the buffer off smear the product over an area approximately 2ft X 2ft. With the buffer on the painted area you just smeared the product over turn the buffer on. Work in a logical pattern such as: starting in the top left corner of your 2ft X 2ft square move the buffer at a slow and steady pace left to right, it should take about 5 seconds or more to get from one side to the other. Now move the buffer down and move it right to left overlapping the previous row by 50%. Repeat this process until you have done the entire 2ft X 2ft square. For your first set of passes apply medium pressure to the buffer to help the polishes break down, glazes, sealants, waxes only need light pressure. Now with the buffer still on repeat the same exact process up and down overlapping each pass by 50%. During this set of passes for polishes, glazes, sealants, waxes apply light pressure so the pad spins freely. This should result in each part of the paint receiving four passes from the buffer. The even distribution of product and heat will help ensure a good thorough and even detail. After you have completed an area make sure that you remove the excess product with a clean microfiber towel, this will thoroughly remove the product and reduce the risk of adding fine scratches. Good microfiber towels are plush and are able to pull the product off the surface as opposed to pushing it around the surface. Polishes will require 2 - 4 microfiber towels (16 x 16 inch) to remove all of the extra product, while sealants and waxes should need about 1 - 3 microfiber towels each (16 x 16 inches). If the towel is saturated with product use a new clean microfiber towel.

Hope this helps a little more, let us know if you have questions. The results are well worth the investment!

Old 05-11-2006, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by tkman00
but that would go against common sense right?
Common sense is only common to those who have it. That said, I have a PC and it seems pretty idiot proof being a random orbital. However, I switched to Zaino products where it is not necessary. I use the Z5 to hide and fill the swirls and top off with Z2.

Old 05-11-2006, 01:26 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your pads/paint aren't clean, then yes, you can cause more harm than good with a PC.

Old 05-13-2006, 02:06 AM
Originally Posted by DaVeeD
Ok if you burn your paint with a PC... you shouldnt be touching your car... cause from what i hear its "idiot proof"

That's what I thought, but I have seen some cars with burn marks, probably from an inexperienced detailer or just ignorance from the dealership.

Old 05-13-2006, 08:54 AM
those burn marks were probably caused by a rotary and not a PC (random orbital)

Old 05-13-2006, 10:03 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Just to chime in, I wanted to add that I've personally leaned in on a PC with a yellow pad and Menzerna PG in an attempt to burn paint and was unable to. The PC bogs down too quickly - it just doesn't have the amperage to burn through paint. I suppose if you hit a thin spot on an edge with a 4 inch yellow and diamond cut you might, but like everyone else has mentioned you would also have to be trying to screw up.

A rotary is a different story. Very easy to burn with them.