Anyone shoot macro?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 12:36 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 155 Likes on 116 Posts
Anyone shoot macro?

I went out to our SUV this weekend for an outing, and this bee was holding it down, cleaning all the pollen off of himself.. Man this pollen count is REDICULOUS if even the BUGS can't stand it..

Just wondered if anyone else shot macro..

Canon 7D
Canon 100mm F2.8 macro
aperture: F8
Shutter speed: 1/320
ISO:320

my wife caught a more candid shot w/ her P/S (macro zoom mode) from the other side of the glass.. The Bee was waving it seems..

Last edited by twalls; 04-04-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those are nice pics feels like I am watching the discovery channel, I have a wide angle lens for my Canon Vixia HV30 does that count?

Old 04-04-2010, 01:09 PM
I've used the macro setting on my wifes crappy little camera to get shots of plugs for reading, but that's no where near the caliber of what you're doing. All of the photography in this forum is really making me want to get into it though. What would you suggest for a starter digital SLR?

Old 04-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
d40 :P

Old 04-04-2010, 01:33 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
i've got some semi-macro shots - i'll post a few of them up later (even though your bug shots put mine to shame).

Old 04-04-2010, 02:05 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Originally Posted by duelper4mance
I've used the macro setting on my wifes crappy little camera to get shots of plugs for reading, but that's no where near the caliber of what you're doing. All of the photography in this forum is really making me want to get into it though. What would you suggest for a starter digital SLR?

Don't hate on the newer point and shoots.. Like I said, my wife shot that 2nd shot w/ her Panasonic Lumix ZS1. These little things are increasing in technology as well.. I'm thinking about picking up a Lumix GF1 myself. They use the new 4/3 sensor, and have interchangeable lenses. They're like a hybrid of DSLR and Point and shoot.. These are perfect for those somewhat serious about photography, but don't want to tote around a heavy bag all the time.. You literally can throw on the 20mm lens, and throw it in your jacket pocket and go.

Friend of mine has one of these, and keeps it w/ him at all times.. He captures AWESOME stuff all the time, especially sunsets when he's on the way home from work.

For a DSLR, I'd recommend a Canon T2i... Man these starter cams have almost the same specs as my 7D. The main difference now is the body casing (plastic vs metallic alloy), not the processor.. That cam will last you a VERY good while, and will not break the bank if you decide you don't really want to get into it as much as you might feel like you do now.

Canon lenses, as well as their 3rd party lenses, are less expensive, and in my opinion, superior in color reproduction to Nikon Glass.. (I've been w/ canon all my photography career though)

Nikons are excellent cameras as well though.. Once you pick one though, be prepared to stick with it, because the glass (lenses) aren't transferrable to the other body.

I'd recommend you go to a store (Best Buy, Frys, somewhere w/ knowlegable sales associates) and FEEL the cameras. Try to take a couple sample shots, and determine which one feels more natural and the controls don't seem cumbersome in your hands.. A camera that feels good to you, is one that you'll use.. If it feels too complicated in your hands, you'll just shoot on Auto, and if that's the case, might as well keep the point and shoot.

Last edited by twalls; 04-04-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
duuude.. siick shots.. imma poke a bee hive with a stick then take pictures and see if i can get some like these...

Old 04-05-2010, 12:12 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
LMAO.. they gonna poke yo dumba$$ right back too.. LMAO.. I could see you w/ a camera in your hand jumping in a pool like in the cartoons.. LMAO..

Old 04-05-2010, 12:17 AM
Very good info, I think I'm gonna start watching craigslist to see what I can find. I do like my wife's point and shoot, it just has a lot less control than I would like to have. When I was trying to get shots of my Integra to sell it, I took about 100 pics, and only about 10 of them were remotely decent. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with my skill level though.. Thanks again for the info Tony.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:20 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
NP man.. Like I said.. There's different levels of P/S.. Just get one that has a mode dial similar to a DSLR.. And now you can get them w/ very good interchangeable lenses.

Those normally have more control than just the simple P/S. That is if you're still more comfortable w/ that style of camera.. There's no turning back once you go DSLR though.. You'll be addicted just as if it were modding your ride.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
haha.. i think id end up walkin towards you covered in bee's holdin my camera out like "heeeelp meeeee"

Old 04-05-2010, 03:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by E-BAN
haha.. i think id end up walkin towards you covered in bee's holdin my camera out like "heeeelp meeeee"
Id like to see twalls snap a picture of that.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
ew, i friggin HATE bees!

Old 04-05-2010, 12:24 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Camera's ready E-Ban.. Waiting on you bro.. LMAO

Old 05-14-2010, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by twalls
]For a DSLR, I'd recommend a Canon T2i... Man these starter cams have almost the same specs as my 7D. The main difference now is the body casing (plastic vs metallic alloy), not the processor.. That cam will last you a VERY good while, and will not break the bank if you decide you don't really want to get into it as much as you might feel like you do now.

Ok, the T2i's are on backorder at Best Buy til June. I'm thinking about getting the T1i with an extra 75-300mm zoom lens. Is that comparable to the T2i? I realize I'll loose a few megapixels, but will it make that big of a difference? Also, is that zoom lens a decent 2nd lens to have? I know that the stock lens is 18-55mm, and the zoom is 75-300mm. Would it be better to have a 55-250mm?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone shoot macro?