Old 08-26-2010, 01:49 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
yo T, dont you have any office work?

Old 08-26-2010, 01:54 PM
Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
naw none of us do.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question folks, I'm in school right now. What should i major to end up like you guys? sitting in ya office or somethingg watching youtube videos allll dayyy.... and buying parts nonstop.. such as iunnoo ahem* purple bbk* ahem*... I envy you guys. please show me the way sensei.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:31 PM
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
Id like to have a panda as a pet but we cant

Old 08-26-2010, 10:59 PM
i.love.gold
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I have a degree in finance and work in the mortgage industry as a consultant.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:24 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 155 Likes on 116 Posts
bwahahahahahhaha.. what you talkin bout.. it's called MULTI-TASKING.. I wish I was buying stuff non stop.. Been saving for that BBK for a minute now.. (whelp time to buy something else.. hahahahahahha)

I'm a Programmer/VP for a foturne 500 company, and I work from home.. I also get bored really easily.. I have an in home office which has a "rollie chair" that I can roll from my work desk, to my personal desk..

Man, as long as my hands are on a keyboard, I AM working..

Trying to find a major? That's where you're messing up right there... I left school my sophomore year (and I had a full scholarship) because they required you to pay attention while they were talking (they bored me).. I was pre-med, but fell in love w/ computer games while I was in school. I started reading books on game programming and decided I liked it.. That was right around the .com boom when there was more of a need for web programmers than game programmers.. I decided to leave school, got an entry level job doing web programming and stuck w/ it.. and 13 yrs later, here I am.

All in all, find a passion that you can get paid for.. It's really that simple.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:39 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by twalls
bwahahahahahhaha.. what you talkin bout.. it's called MULTI-TASKING.. I wish I was buying stuff non stop.. Been saving for that BBK for a minute now.. (whelp time to buy something else.. hahahahahahha)

I'm a Programmer/VP for a foturne 500 company, and I work from home.. I also get bored really easily.. I have an in home office which has a "rollie chair" that I can roll from my work desk, to my personal desk..

Man, as long as my hands are on a keyboard, I AM working..

Trying to find a major? That's where you're messing up right there... I left school my sophomore year (and I had a full scholarship) because they required you to pay attention while they were talking (they bored me).. I was pre-med, but fell in love w/ computer games while I was in school. I started reading books on game programming and decided I liked it.. That was right around the .com boom when there was more of a need for web programmers than game programmers.. I decided to leave school, got an entry level job doing web programming and stuck w/ it.. and 13 yrs later, here I am.

All in all, find a passion that you can get paid for.. It's really that simple.
Personally (and I feel that I can say this without offending you T)...I would not opt to forego getting an undergrad degree. YES, it is possible to get a great job without one as Tony has pointed out. However, the odds are stacked against a person who goes that route in a bad way. If someone has the motivation and desire to finish an undergrad degree, I would highly recommend that they do so. It's a key...and one that most every company will require you to have to even look in your general direction. Exceptions exist, but they are few and far between.

I always suggest majoring in what you are passionate about (similar to what T was saying). Don't pick one for the money or because your parents want you to do it. Pick one because it genuinely interests you.

No one is saying that you have to have a job in whatever you major in...but it sure makes it a hell of a lot easier to get a job when most companies are laying people off or freezing their hiring altogether.

That's just my $0.02...

Old 08-27-2010, 12:44 AM
Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
Im a criminology major.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:08 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 155 Likes on 116 Posts
I would agree... that in MOST cases a degree is necessary to fulfill a requirement that the job has on their employees, NOT to actually gain, or keep employment..

Also, most people would also agree, that most of the skill they use on their jobs daily, they gained while on the job, and not through training from school (trade school is obviously an exception).

Recently, I've found that most of the IT profession (programming included) is alerted more by certifications, rather than degrees.. I think that's been true since I've been in this field..

If you're going to be in a professional career (Doctor, Lawyer, Business Exec of any kind, etc) then DEFINITELY get a degree because you'll need to get to the next level of education, whether it be business school, med, or law school.

Heck to separate yourself from the general population now, you have to have a masters degree, not just a bachelors. Making higher education available to everyone (grants, loans, etc), and for-profit education (trade schools that are more interested in making money, rather than strengthening their curriculum) has really saturated society w/ degrees that don't really mean much to a lot of employers.

I was not even half-way serious when I said trying to find a major was a waste of time.. I just had a different path, that's all.. I got lucky and someone took a chance on me and it paid off. There was a time when I was making less than half of what I make now, and was expecting my first kid as well.. NOT FUN!!!

Stay in school, and as I said before, "All in all, find a passion that you can get paid for.. It's really that simple. " If that involves getting a degree to make that a reality, then by all means, do that.. However, some folks can go from high school to the pros too.. <shrugs> I'm not telling YOU to do it.. I'm just sayin..

Last edited by twalls; 08-27-2010 at 01:12 AM.