Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 09:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my numbers are 244/223 and i ran a 13.84 lol must suck to live in az

Old 05-25-2008, 02:31 AM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by GrayG35
if you can drive that 5at as good as me then you will win. look at my driving/launching technique and you will beat her 4 sure. https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...09#post2933109
Besides the launch, how can you "drive that 5at as good as" anyone else? It's an automatic

Driving skills on an MT are more of a factor. If she knew how to drive an MT properly, she would beat ninous26. But not everyone has enough drag experience to push the MT to its full potential.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:13 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Skaterbasist
Besides the launch, how can you "drive that 5at as good as" anyone else? It's an automatic
Same can be said for a manual. There's really no skill involved once you're under way. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to push/pull the shifter as quickly as possible.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
Same can be said for a manual. There's really no skill involved once you're under way. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to push/pull the shifter as quickly as possible.
Brains are really the key factor for a rocket scientist. Coordination and experience are really the key factors in racing an mt at the track.

Pushing/pulling the shifter is "part" of the task and must be synchronized with the clutch. Plenty of people misshift while they're under way.

The other challenging part is the launch of course which is much harder with an MT versus AT. But you know that of course.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:12 PM

Driving skills on an MT are more of a factor. If she knew how to drive an MT properly, she would beat ninous26. But not everyone has enough drag experience to push the MT to its full potential.

you can drive it better with the shift points, i went down from a 14.5 to a 14.2 when all i had was spacer and intake by just shifting it in manual mode instead of leaving it in drive.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well we were supposed to go this friday but the rain messed everything up.

Another question... I have some fatter tires for my stock 18s in my backyard.. If I put these tires on my rears would I stick to the track better?

This would help because everytime I brake torque 2000 rpm and then let it go I start peeling out which ****s up my 60ft.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:35 PM
ya it should help you bite better on the track.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:31 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
I completely disagree. Only those who have had alot of drag racing experience can really shift a 6MT to its full potential and be consistent at it.

Have you ever tried drag racing a 6MT yourself?

Originally Posted by RBull
Brains are really the key factor for a rocket scientist. Coordination and experience are really the key factors in racing an mt at the track.

Pushing/pulling the shifter is "part" of the task and must be synchronized with the clutch. Plenty of people misshift while they're under way.

The other challenging part is the launch of course which is much harder with an MT versus AT. But you know that of course.
Well said.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:08 AM
I completely disagree. Only those who have had alot of drag racing experience can really shift a 6MT to its full potential and be consistent at it.

Have you ever tried drag racing a 6MT yourself?

Had a 5MT 96 Maxima with lot of bolt-ons (low 14s@100mph) with about 250 passes, 4500-5000rpm clutch slip launches, still the stock clutch when sold, and pulling low 2.1 60 foots on bald 215/60R15 RSAs. Drove many of my friend's 6MT LT1/LS1 F-body's and 5MT 5.0s down the strip too with some pretty decent ET/MPHs when I had an LT1 F-Body back in the 90s. I also test drove 3 6MT G sedans before getting my auto. There's no skill in landing a good shift with a manual. The key is how you hold the shifter to get the most leverage and to keep from fighting the gates. Years ago I posted a thread in this section about the correct way to hold the shifter for each gear shift. The hardest part in drag racing is the launch. Both the auto and manual prove equally difficult to launch, but in different ways. Once through 1st, a monkey could do the job once he know the ideal shift rpm for each gear (a dyno and simple calculation will get you those rpms).

Old 05-26-2008, 03:15 AM
Originally Posted by RBull
What's challenging? Assuming you're on street tires:

1) Rev up to around 4000rpms
2) release the clutch slightly to take out slack and reduce the initial drivetrain hit on the launch
3) when it's time to go, release the clutch slightly to get rolling
4) then release the clutch quickly (not a dump) while feeding the motor gas to keep the rpms above 3500rpms (ideally).
5) Feather the throttle in 1st to keep from spinning wildy and don't get greedy.

When I test drove the 6MT sedans, I found them FAR easier to launch compared to my torque steering and wheel hopping Maxima. RWD is just easier to launch, period. You just have to get a good feel for what's going on with the drivetrain. I crack up when I read about all these people saying they can't launch any higher that 2000rpms with thier Gs because they'll spin the tires too much. Hogwash. They're getting way to greedy with the throttle and releasing the clutch too quickly on the initial launch.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:08 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

2) release the clutch slightly to take out slack and reduce the initial drivetrain hit on the launch
4) then release the clutch quickly (not a dump) while feeding the motor gas to keep the rpms above 3500rpms (ideally).
5) Feather the throttle in 1st to keep from spinning wildy and don't get greedy.

When I test drove the 6MT sedans, I found them FAR easier to launch compared to my torque steering and wheel hopping Maxima. RWD is just easier to launch, period. You just have to get a good feel for what's going on with the drivetrain. I crack up when I read about all these people saying they can't launch any higher that 2000rpms with thier Gs because they'll spin the tires too much. Hogwash. They're getting way to greedy with the throttle and releasing the clutch too quickly on the initial launch.
The fact you've had to summarize it into 5 parts demonstrates it is challenging. Also the fact you've had 250 passes in an MT proves my point experience is a key factor since you now think it isn't challenging. Doing it well and consistently takes coordination and lots of practice.

I didn't have any reference to RWD vs. FWD. I agree with that statement though. I also agree about the 2k launch. In my car I've found just under 4K along with feathering clutch and throttle pulls strong with pretty good traction.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:07 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

As far as launching goes yes it is the basic way to do it. Therefore it is more challenging to launch MT than AT simply because in MT u have to concentrate on ur throttle input and clutch slippering rather than just concentrate on throttle control like u would in AT.

6MT there is more chance of missing a gear especially on our cars, therefore making it more challenging, than just knowing what rpm to push the shifter up in each gear. I have had the car for over 3.5 years and till this day i miss-shift once in a while. No i am not stupid or inexperienced but it is just a the nature of this particular car. I am glad i have never miss-shifted when racing someone i was supposed to beat. In ops case his auto most likely will be faster because there is a inexperienced driver behind the wheel of 6MT.