Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Clutch pedal sticking and burning complaints come here

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 11:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pumping the clutch will circulate the fluid...you have to do it numerous times (I did it 5 times) to get all the fluid to be clear. Even then, after a week of driving you'll need to do the procedure again. Eventually, it will be completely changed.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what are you guys useing as a replacement for the fluid? is it normal brake fluid you buy at autozone? or is there some special clutch fluid?

and also, if it is normal brake fluid, will any brake fluid work? (high performance fluid that has higher boiling points?)

Old 07-10-2007, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't wait to do this tonight, my pedal was on the floor this morning when I went to start my car, I had to pull it up with my damn hand and pump it twice before it "bit". I bet my fluid is solid black cus I'm at 48K miles now.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by Otacon132
what are you guys useing as a replacement for the fluid? is it normal brake fluid you buy at autozone? or is there some special clutch fluid?

and also, if it is normal brake fluid, will any brake fluid work? (high performance fluid that has higher boiling points?)
Should be able to use any good brake fluid. I'm using Prestone DOT4 Synthetic (500F dry boiling point) in my Z06 Corvette. Available at Walmart for $2.40/ 12 ounce can.

Any fluid will degenerate under the heat that comes from aggressive driving.

Ranger

Old 08-14-2007, 08:37 PM
VERY HELPFUL!!! gotta try this tonight

Old 08-15-2007, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by Ranger
Should be able to use any good brake fluid. I'm using Prestone DOT4 Synthetic (500F dry boiling point) in my Z06 Corvette. Available at Walmart for $2.40/ 12 ounce can.

Any fluid will degenerate under the heat that comes from aggressive driving.

Ranger
+1!!! I used the same stuff, and the clutch feels much better!

Old 08-15-2007, 07:02 PM
to my amazement... IT WORKS! clutch stopped sticking. after doing it 5 times.. i took it for a drive in the heat.. and it felt a bit different. i wouldnt say day and night different. but there sure was something that felt a bit different. could be psychological but no idea.

upon getting back.. i did it again, since it was still yellow. lets see how often i have to do this.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:10 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by johnjayb
to my amazement... IT WORKS! clutch stopped sticking. after doing it 5 times.. i took it for a drive in the heat.. and it felt a bit different. i wouldnt say day and night different. but there sure was something that felt a bit different. could be psychological but no idea.

upon getting back.. i did it again, since it was still yellow. lets see how often i have to do this.
It shouldn't feel any different, only once the fluid starts boiling and the pedal sticks should there be any difference, so its probably psychological. I changed mine as well even though I didn't have any sticking pedal issues, my fluid just looked cloudy. Afterwards, the clutch felt exactly the same. Good cheap preventative maintanence though

Old 08-17-2007, 07:03 PM
Thank you so much for the info guys. I can't wait to do that this weekend. You just saved me a trip to the dealership to tear down my transmission.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:27 PM
how much fluid do you need to buy before you do this?

Old 08-30-2007, 06:33 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by humancapital
how much fluid do you need to buy before you do this?
1 pint should be plenty, I changed mine 6 times with less than half a bottle

Old 08-31-2007, 12:44 AM
My clutch hasn't stayed on the floor since I've done this mod/upgrade. This, in combination with the adjustment, has made driving the G that much more fun!

Old 09-17-2007, 11:59 AM
bkd
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was skeptical, but this works. My clutch would stick after driving in stop and go traffic several times a week. The dealer wanted to pull the transmission and THEN could tell me if it was a warranty repair or not. I walked out and told them I was going to trade the car for a Honda. Luckily I decided to search a bit and found this thread. It’s been three weeks since I changed the fluid, and the clutch hasn’t stuck once.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
MODS: sticky? this is extremely useful and important preventative maintenance for 6mt users, and it sounds like most of us "enthusiasts" who run our cars hard are having this problem. thanks!

Kevin

Old 12-09-2007, 06:46 PM
Hold The Line

Received 622 Likes on 406 Posts
This happened to my 05 coupe as well. It shifted normally and then it would stick halfway down and give me little play on the clutch. I would kick it back up and it would pop into place but still engage halfway down when shifting. Obviously, I would burn the clutch when this would happen until I got used the engagement point. It would randomly happen to where it would engage at its normal point and stick halfway down at random times. Needless to say, I would burn my clutch.

I took this issue up with Palm Beach Infiniti where they gave me the run-around for months. They replaced the clutch pedal itself after about 3 trips there for who knows what reason. Obviously it happened again since they just gave me a new shiny pedal. Made a couple more trips....yelled at a couple people... spoke with the director of the service dept... Finally, I had a tech who knew what he was doing check it out. He bled out the clutch and said if it wasnt that it was my pressure plate for sure. They placed the pressure plate in order and I requested them to check if the clutch was burnt, because if it was, I was going to hold them responsible for taking about 5 months on this issue alone!

I picked up my car to find out they installed a new pressure plate, throw out bearing and flywheel! After 5 months of yelling and persistance, they finally changed what I wanted and more. Keep in mind, I had all 4 service consultants and one tech ignore my calls, ignore me when I arrived, yell at me, judge me due to age, assume I had bad driving habits and blandly call me a liar. By far the worst service ever!

Anyway, the car feels great now. Shifts smooth and have tons of play with the clutch. If your under warranty, be persistant!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal sticking and burning complaints come here