Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

How many have clutch chatter off the line?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mine is really starting to **** me off... I've dealt with it all winter but now that it's getting nice and the windows are down, I cannot stand the chatter. Mine is at it's worst when taking off on an incline (going up a hill from a stop). Very loud chatter.

Yesterday I went out driving around with some fiends who have 350Z's and theirs chatter, but not NEARLY as loud as mine. Their Z's are older and have double the miles as my 06 6MT with 30k. We even drove each others cars and they all said mine made much more tranny chatter than theirs.

Combined with what feels like a slipping clutch (again, theirs feels better than mine and they agree) I'm starting to wonder if the previous owner of my car was a horrible driver and put some serious wear on my car.

Of course the dealership says the sounds are normal and don't want to check the clutch for wear or possible replacement. How do I talk them into it?

Old 04-07-2008, 05:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SonicK20Z
mine is really starting to **** me off... I've dealt with it all winter but now that it's getting nice and the windows are down, I cannot stand the chatter. Mine is at it's worst when taking off on an incline (going up a hill from a stop). Very loud chatter.

Yesterday I went out driving around with some fiends who have 350Z's and theirs chatter, but not NEARLY as loud as mine. Their Z's are older and have double the miles as my 06 6MT with 30k. We even drove each others cars and they all said mine made much more tranny chatter than theirs.

Combined with what feels like a slipping clutch (again, theirs feels better than mine and they agree) I'm starting to wonder if the previous owner of my car was a horrible driver and put some serious wear on my car.

Of course the dealership says the sounds are normal and don't want to check the clutch for wear or possible replacement. How do I talk them into it?
They won't cover a clutch under warranty anyway so it won't matter. How many miles are on the car?

Old 04-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Clutch of chatter is a thing of lice with any sporty type clutch. You just have to learn how much gas to give and where the clutch lets out without making the sound. My old Z28 w/ 6spd had a kevlar 6 puck racing clutch in it, before I got use to that clutch it was chattering so bad it sounded like the trans was falling out everytime I pulled out. A month or so of DD and being perfectly in tune with it got rid of the chatter. I know for a fact it was all how it was driven that got rid of the chatter, cause seldom did anybody else drive the car that could pull out without chattering the clutch (noticed this especially when I was trying to sell it haha! ended up with me driving the car to show them how smooth it could be :P ) Anyways good luck with the problem, Im not too familiar with the Infiniti transmission, but thats exactly what it sounds like you're describing. So for once the dealer throwing the "normal" flag sounds possible.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
on good days when i go out to cruise i get no chatter (more spirited drive = heavier gas foot ). But when i commute it chatters here and there. It totally depends on how much gas you give relative to your clutch displacement.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:48 PM
I have it in my 03 and I have a new clutch and trans thats like 3 months old.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:51 PM
I had a 2005 350Z bought new and drove it 30k miles and it had a bad chatter from day 1. Now i have 07 G coupe and it has a clutch chatter from stop but not quite as bad as the Z, but still extremely annoying and sounds like **** sometimes as well.

I think what we are dealing with is a POORLY DESIGNED clutch from Nissan. I have a 96 240sx with 210k miles on it and it has the sweetest clutch action ever, very smooth and progressive. I think the G37 clutch is supposed to be improved quite a bit. One of the reasons I actually traded in my 350Z was the chatty clutch that felt like it was going to fail at some point, test driving the G I didn't feel any chatter, then after a couple thousand miles it starts chattering. I am pretty sure this means there is oil on the clutch disk. Most mechanics should be able to recognize that. Somehow there is oil getting onto the face of the clutch disk and that must be what the problem is, it's a manufacturing defect that Nissan fails to deal with.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by g35ctuner
04 6mt samething, but i noticed it's all how you do the gas and the clutch. our clutches are grabby and they dont grab fully till the pedal is high up.not like my old civic where it grabbed on right as soon as you let off the pedal.and down shifting is your friend! keeps a nice scrub on the clutch.ive only had the car for 3 weeks and since i started down shifting the clutch engagement has gotten TONS smoother.

i have 04 6mt and i notice a tiny bit but i have JWT flywheel. i never noticed chatter when i had the OEM flywheel

Old 01-07-2009, 05:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 6mt I have it too. Its off and on, I think its due to me...when I shift good it doesnt make the sound...If im driving bad I can hear the chatter when its idling in neutral.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:30 PM
chatter on a manual just happens sometimes

with all cars... just the nature of it

Old 01-07-2009, 06:34 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Of you think the stock chatter is bad, wait until you get an aftermarket clutch and flywheel...

Old 01-07-2009, 09:56 PM
'04 6MT Coupe, had the chattering problem at 12K miles, dealer replaced the clutch and pressure plate under warranty, I had them put in a NISMO flywheel while they were in there, the problem came back eventually (even though I really tried to be careful engaging it, and I've been driving manual trannies since 1994 and have NEVER worn-out a clutch). It's a pretty common issue in higher-HP cars-- just because the engine makes over double the HP of, say, a Saturn, Infiniti doesn't put twice the surface area and mass of a Saturn clutch in a G. They do add some size, but they also increase the clamping force and/or change the clutch material to increase the coefficient of friction. This means it's much easier to overheat the clutch and create glazed spots on the flywheel or pressure plate, and then it chatters. I read a Jay Leno article where he talked about a number of his cars that can totally fry their clutches with ONE botched launch (he said something like, "Sure, I could beat this kid in a 'vette next to me off the line, but it will cost me $4000 to do it when I fry the clutch").

The G is still a fantastic car to drive, though!

--Bryce