Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

A/T shifting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 02:32 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
A/T shifting

As you know I have a Silverstone Coupe now after 8 months with my Garnet Sedan. Only had it a month and only accumulated 600 kilometers but I decided to disconnect my battery (negative terminal) overnight to see what effect if would have on the A/T shifing if any, and the effects to anything else. This is what I found:------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Certain things got reset, zeroed, or stopped such as:
Clock stopped (no mystery there).
Trip odometers (A&B in the speedo) zeroed.
Radio presets lost (no mystery there)
Navi 'Average Fuel Economy' reset to ****
Auto temp defaulted to 25 degrees C (77 degr. F)

All other functions and settings were maintained such as: Navi clock (maintained by GPS)
All other Navi memory.
Compass.
------------------------------------

The tranny shifted a little crisper both in 'Auto mode' and 'Manual mode'. It also seemed to shift without as much delay after input in Manumatic.
I didn't go too far or 'spank Miss S' too hard, but it definitely seemed like this procedure helped even with only 600 km. on her. I would expect an even more noticeable change if 'grannied' over a longer distance.(sorry Granny)[img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]
I'd also expect that this will work on the Sedan and Coupe alike.
Only a rough test in our crummy winter scene here, but thought you'd like to know anyway.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Gsedanman's Coupe

Old 02-03-2003, 04:13 PM
G35driver.com Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: A/T shifting

great news bro! only 600Km and you rebooted your car and you already see an improvement...
Have just 1 question, you said the tranny shifting is crisper, does that also imply that the Throttle-by-Wire is quicker as well? because there was a few posts on here and FA about T-B-W lag
tnx!

<font color=blue>-Rambo</font color=blue>
All your base are belong to us!

Old 02-03-2003, 04:37 PM
O.F. Administrator

Hey RR dude, Can't say I noticed any diff on the throttle lag. Wasn't really looking for it but I'll check that tomorrow for more responsiveness (if we don't get that freezing rain they forecast- hahaha)[img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Yeh, only 600 kms. but going 'stir krazy' here.[img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img]: No mods, can't Zaino (without heating up her B/R), so thought I'd try that.
I'm gonna granny 'till about March then reset again. Should be more noticeable then.
Will post tomorrow with something on DBW..................

Gsedanman's Coupe

Old 02-06-2003, 09:23 PM
O.F. Administrator

Hey rr, As promised I checked the throttle responce today and discovered the same lag in the throttle as b4. It's not a lot but still there. So it seems little was done for the DBW lag by disconnecting the batt.[img]/w3timages/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Gsedanman's Coupe

Old 02-07-2003, 01:20 PM

On the S2000 there is an ECU fuse for the backup settings. Which means if you pull the fuse it resets the ECU and not the radio blah blah blah...

It is listed as "backup" anyone know if this fuse exists on the coupe?

Old 02-10-2003, 03:34 AM

Is that DBW lag only apparent on Automatics, or Manuals as well?

~Berj

Old 02-10-2003, 10:47 AM

Both from what i hear.. BUT I think its not really DBW lag at all.. its the VDC keepiong the rear wheels from slipping. Because with the VDC off, my coupe goes like right now.

Old 02-10-2003, 02:48 PM
O.F. Administrator

Bigel, The DBW lag is a little diff.: If you stab the gas for a split second, there is a short pause b4 anything happens. It's a very subtle delay and very short but it's there. IMO, it's nothing and seems to be the 'nature' of this car.
I've had the Sedan and Coupe A/T's, not sure if M/T's are same......................[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Lzrcoupe, I haven't looked at the fuse blocks yet for an ECU fuse, but that would be handy if there was one. Post if you find out. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=red>Gsedanman</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by gsedanman on 02/10/03 11:51 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 02-10-2003, 06:55 PM

Hmmmm..... I wonder if this is related to the hesitation I was feeling before with my post on the sticky gas pedal. The original observation isn't true anymore (hesitation from a stop), but now it seems that if I keep a steady pressure on the pedal from a stop (say 1/4 throttle), as it goes through the gears, there is a very slight engine rpm drop just after the shift points. I thought that maybe I was unconsciously lifting off the throttle during the shifts, but I made a point to apply constant pressure on the pedal and sure enough there was the rpm drop. This doesn't happen at 1/2 throttle or greater, only at about 1/4 throttle or less. Could this be related to the "ECU learning process" and just the nature of the beast, or is there some technical reason for the rpm drop during each upshift?

VettRN

Old 02-10-2003, 07:17 PM

Of course the RPM's are going to drop when you upshift, I don't know exactly if that's what you are trying to say.

Andrew

2003 coupe 6MT blue premium aero (on order)