Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Dry Shifting???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dry Shifting???

So I wanted to test drive some high powered cars and walked into an Audi dealer looking for an S4. There was one on the floor and hopped in, checked things out. I was shifting around the gears getting a feel of the transmission with clutch in (****ing sloppy by the way) and here comes this salesman charging at me telling me not to dry shift. Granted I look much younger than I really am and it doesn't help that I'm in a tshirt and jeans, he starts calling me a smart-*** when all I said was, what are you talking about...what do you mean by dry shifting? He said he doesn't want me shifting the gears unless the car is on and moving or I can see myself to the door. I told him to **** off and walked out.

Anywho, is this concept of "dry shifting" really going to hurt the car? The clutch was depressed and never let go and all I was doing was moving the collar around in the gearbox so who gives a ****? I'd really like to hear some factual answers from some techies out there because I'm going back. In turns out a friend of a friend is a sales manager there and I'm going to cause a storm about that guy's attitude towards me and being able to disprove his little theory will add more ammunition.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:14 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Most Dealers (not all) = stupid morons who know nothing about cars... except that they love selling them.

As long as you had the clutch depressed and were not forcing or jaming the shifter into gear, there was nothing wrong about what you did.

This dealer sounds like a typical a$$.

Old 05-26-2007, 12:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
dry shiftin is when you have the car off and the clutch isn't pressed down. which isn't that bad but really isn't good. but once you put it into gear everything lines up so you can take in out and back into gear without problem, same thing like when the car is kept at a constant speed you can take the car out of gear without pressing the clutch. something weird I learned a while back.