Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Warranty cover clutch????żżż

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 05:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Warranty cover clutch????żżż

I know I know, the warranty considers the clutch to be a wear item, I'm not a newb. In my situation, the clutch pedal is the cause of a slipping clutch. There are times when driving in the city that the clutch pedal will stay right at the friction point and not completely return to the top. When this happens, I end up slipping the clutch a lot more than I like.

The clutch pedal has been inconsistant like many people report on this forum. But about a month ago was the first time that the pedal decided to not return. When you are not expecting it, this causes serious problems. I ended up with the front of my car in traffic but the clutch not engaging enough to get me the hell out of the way and I was almost in an accident (that would have been my fault as far as police and insurance would care). This has happened several times since, and continues to get worse. The car is a 2005 6MT with 27k miles. I have driven sticks my entire driving career, and know what I am doing.

I took the car in for an oil change and to have them try to diagnose the problem with the clutch pedal today. I reset the trip meter and told them that they would have to do some city driving to get the clutch to replicate the issue (I havent picked it up yet so I dont know how many miles they put on it to try and diagnose/replicate the issue with the pedal) but you dont have to drive it far to notice the clutch slipps. They called today and said the oil change is done and that the clutch pedal was perfect but that a new clutch and flywheel would run me around $1900 installed, and that they would not cover the clutch or flywheel. Why would I want to pay $1900 to put the clutch and flywheel in if the return spring and hydraulic system are just going to fry that one?

I am kinda getting the feeling that they dont care and will not hear me out. Do you guys have any idea's to try and get the dealer to help or atleast consider helping me? What are the chances of getting this covered under warranty? I have a co-worker who drives the **** out of his 350Z and some how blew the motor and they covered that and I know first hand that his motor blew due to drifting, which makes me kinda mad that I didn't do anything and they won't help me.

Thanks guys
Mark

Last edited by cbrmark923; 07-06-2007 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:45 PM
it sounds like i have the same problem and i was pretty sure it was the clutch assembly. maybe not. anyway i am going to the dealer here in nj to have it checked out under warranty, I will let you know what happens. Also when i spoke to them on the phone they said i would probably need a new clutch and they said it would be 800

Old 07-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you guys have any idea's to try and get the dealer to help or atleast consider helping me? What are the chances of getting this covered under warranty?

Help you out?

Why would a dealership LIE to their biggest customer Nissan Warranty and risk punishment for you if they tried to warranty an item not covered after the 12,000 mile adjustment period.

Everyone hates the dealer prices and avoids visiting them [paying for services] until they need them for something big.........then they whine and try to get them to bend over for warranty.

How much money have you spent with dealer PRIOR? What nice things have you done for employees?........that you could ask for a favor?

Old 07-06-2007, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by Q45tech
Do you guys have any idea's to try and get the dealer to help or atleast consider helping me? What are the chances of getting this covered under warranty?

Help you out?

Why would a dealership LIE to their biggest customer Nissan Warranty and risk punishment for you if they tried to warranty an item not covered after the 12,000 mile adjustment period.

Everyone hates the dealer prices and avoids visiting them [paying for services] until they need them for something big.........then they whine and try to get them to bend over for warranty.

How much money have you spent with dealer PRIOR? What nice things have you done for employees?........that you could ask for a favor?
I am a dealer, just not an Infiniti dealer. I know where you are coming from, but also put yourself in the consumers seat. What would you think if you paid $40k for a Luxury car when the clutch doesn't last two years? I am not asking the DEALER to pay for the repairs, but the manufacturer. Who will inturn still pay the dealer and technician for there time, so they loose nothing. I have had our manufacturer goodwill things much worse than this at my dealership.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Check your clutch fluid, is it still clear or cloudy/brown? There have been a few people who have had this problem and this is what turned out to be the problem. If it is, then flush the fluid a few times completely, and your clutch issues should go away

Old 07-06-2007, 02:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Q45tech

Help you out?

I agree...you try to stick it to the dealer whenever you can for free work and when you need help you try to stick it to them again...the dealer is more likely to help if you have helped them in the past...i had no issues having 2 trans/clutch replacements done by the dealer just on word alone...i gave them work i could have done elsewhere cheaper...

Old 07-06-2007, 04:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think the OP is trying to get the dealer to bend over backwards to replace clutch/flywheel, and the OP believes that issues with the clutch pedal "sticking" caused his clutch/flywheel to wear, thus possibly needing replacement. If that's the case, I think you have a legitimate argument. I'd suggest taking it up with Infiniti and see what they have to say about it.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That is the normal procedure to meet with Infiniti Zone technicans/managers at their monthly visit to dealerships. All you have to do is persuade them to cover your problem......give dealer written ok.

Dealers are very happy to do any work they can get paid to accomplish.

Infimiti has very good records of average and statistical spread on items like clutch wear and can easily determine whether owner abuse or normal wear.

Last edited by Q45tech; 07-08-2007 at 05:50 PM.