Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Clutch squeeking.... question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 08:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch squeeking.... question

My clutch is squeeking when i release the pedal from the floor. You can feel it in the pedal and hear it inside but its 5 times louder outside the car. Sounds like its coming from the firewall area, maybe where the cable goes through the firewall. Now the weird part, it only does it on cooler mornings and as i learned today, the humidity has to be high. I was gonna take it in for service this morning cause its nice and cool..... but humidity is low so its acting fine. You guys have any idea what the problem could be? Im guessing a grommet on the firewall..... but only acting up on cool humid mornings?

Old 12-04-2007, 09:37 AM
when the weather is cooler its drier-less humid, but as for squeaking... could be the solenoid

Old 12-04-2007, 11:54 AM
lol you obviously dont live in FL. It can still be pretty cool with high humidity.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine did that (still does off and on), and took it to the dealership. They said I need a new clutch and flywheel. The squeak is caused by debris in the transmission bell housing, and around the slave cylinder, from what they told me, and they said the debris was a result of my clutch being worn. They cleaned and lubed it and the squeak goes away, but it comes back 1-2 weeks later. I just live with it for now--don't feel like spending $2K on a clutch when it still works fine, just a little noisy. I'll probably replace the clutch with an aftermarket one next Spring....

Old 12-04-2007, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by kvangil
Mine did that (still does off and on), and took it to the dealership. They said I need a new clutch and flywheel. The squeak is caused by debris in the transmission bell housing, and around the slave cylinder, from what they told me, and they said the debris was a result of my clutch being worn. They cleaned and lubed it and the squeak goes away, but it comes back 1-2 weeks later. I just live with it for now--don't feel like spending $2K on a clutch when it still works fine, just a little noisy. I'll probably replace the clutch with an aftermarket one next Spring....
Wow, thanks ill mention that when i go back in. My warranty is up this month too......

Old 12-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Yep--but they don't cover clutch under warranty, just FYI...

Old 12-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by kvangil
This makes no sense? You clutch, when it wears, the kevlar pads turns to dust... please tell me where debris are coming from? Sounds like your dealer is trying to throw u for a loop. Also you should never have to replace your flywheel, just take it to a machine shop and have it turned. I would say its the throwout bearing more than anything.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:56 PM
i use to have the same problem, when i press the clutch pedal it use to squeak alot so i figure what cause it, just spray some lubricant on the clutch pedal spring and it solve your problem.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by JaxGman
This makes no sense? You clutch, when it wears, the kevlar pads turns to dust... please tell me where debris are coming from? Sounds like your dealer is trying to throw u for a loop. Also you should never have to replace your flywheel, just take it to a machine shop and have it turned. I would say its the throwout bearing more than anything.
I thought they were tryin' rip me off, $2K to replace clutch/flywheel, so I said "See ya". Anyway, it does squeak occasionally, but I can live with it. If it's not slipping, I'm not going to worry about it. I did try lubing the clutch pedal assembly, but there's something else underneath that needs to be cleaned too. I believe someone else on this forum said it was a linkage by the slave cylinder that you need to clean and lube, but haven't had the time to crawl under the car--plus it's winter here....

Old 12-12-2007, 12:29 PM
I had the exact same issue with mine as you describe. When I took my car in for an oil change, I asked the dealer to look at it. They informed me that the squeak was my throwout bearing assembly and without any issue, replaced my entire clutch, clutch assembly. Obviously, this cured the problem and my new clutch has been absolutely awesome in feel and engagement. I have an '04 coupe and this occurred about a week before my warranty was up. The squeak, however, started about 2 - 3 months before I took it in. It was such a minor squeak, I thought nothing of it, but did slowly progressively get a little more annoying. I have to give props to Dreyer Reinbold Infiniti Service in Indianapolis for recognizing the throw out bearing failure and replacing without any issue. The service there is incredible.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:10 PM
I've read several people attribute it to the throw-out bearing too. Like you, I took mine in about a month before the bumper-to-bumper warranty expired. Unfortunately, since it's clutch-related, my dealership wouldn't budge and so I woulda had to pay out-of-pocket. Glad to hear someone got treated right though....

Old 12-12-2007, 01:18 PM
That's too bad, I would have asked to see the language of the warranty. To me, "bumper to bumper" should mean exactly what it says. A loud squeak that can be heard outside the car with or without it running when the clutch is depressed is a problem that should be covered under the manufacterers warranty. But it all comes down the to warranty language I assume.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:45 PM
I have this same problem on my 6MT sedan. It is in fact the clutch pedal spring. A good dealer, who wasn't trying to rip me off, told me about this problem, and also mentioned that his shop has never replaced a clutch on a G35 since they came out in 2003, which is why he immediately ruled out the possibility of it being the actual clutch assembly. The pedal spring lubrication is only temporary, and I am about to take it back again...

Old 11-19-2010, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by Plat04G
My clutch is squeeking when i release the pedal from the floor. You can feel it in the pedal and hear it inside but its 5 times louder outside the car. Sounds like its coming from the firewall area, maybe where the cable goes through the firewall. Now the weird part, it only does it on cooler mornings and as i learned today, the humidity has to be high. I was gonna take it in for service this morning cause its nice and cool..... but humidity is low so its acting fine. You guys have any idea what the problem could be? Im guessing a grommet on the firewall..... but only acting up on cool humid mornings?
Mine was doing that also. On my car, it was a simple pin inside the transmission housing that merely pivots the clutch pedal to the transmission. When you move the clutch pedal it pivots on a metal pin. There's a rubber grommet that hides it (awkwardly visible when under the car--just follow the clutch mechanism). I bought a can of anti-sieze lubricant and sprayed it in the area after peeling back the rubber piece a little bit. After about a day, it completely went away and it's been perfect 2 months later. Use the anti-sieze lube or a copper based lube--spraying might be the only good and easy way to reach that area.