Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Transgo Shift Kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by tiguy99
Def looking fwd to that ^ ^. I think this is my next mod before I go FI
are you still on the fence about getting the VB upgrade?

The clunking sound is when you downshift in MM from 3-2 or 2-1. The 03 and 04's do this without the VB upgrade.
I don't know about the 05s which have rev matching.

Normal driving you can't tell it's there unless you are looking for it. Basically the shifting is a little firmer normal driving, but not enough to spill your coffee or your passenger asking what's wrong with your car.

I let my father drive my car he couldn't tell until he floored it to pass someone on the hwy. Now he wants a VB upgrade for his HD F-150.

If the weather was better I could make a vid, but we just got 50+in of snow in the last week.

Thanks for the comment on youtube I used to be boosted, but with the stillen VB I bounced off the rev limiter constantly. Check out my other vids denchan36 on youtube. Those were with the stillen.

I plan on boost or nitrous in the near future.

I would do the upgrade whether FI or not.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:39 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Dsskyline
are you still on the fence about getting the VB upgrade?

The clunking sound is when you downshift in MM from 3-2 or 2-1. The 03 and 04's do this without the VB upgrade.
I don't know about the 05s which have rev matching.

Normal driving you can't tell it's there unless you are looking for it. Basically the shifting is a little firmer normal driving, but not enough to spill your coffee or your passenger asking what's wrong with your car.

I let my father drive my car he couldn't tell until he floored it to pass someone on the hwy. Now he wants a VB upgrade for his HD F-150.

If the weather was better I could make a vid, but we just got 50+in of snow in the last week.

Thanks for the comment on youtube I used to be boosted, but with the stillen VB I bounced off the rev limiter constantly. Check out my other vids denchan36 on youtube. Those were with the stillen.

I plan on boost or nitrous in the near future.

I would do the upgrade whether FI or not.
I'm actually glad you talked about this. In my 05, it doesn't clunk unless i'm upshifting from 2 and then 3 if I try to shift too quickly at the wrong point.

I used to do that alot when I first got the car because I didn't understand how to shift properly.

Now I never get clunks whether I upshift or downshift.

In fact, when driving, I tend to shift down to 3 (if I'm in higher gears) and let the car shift back to 1 on its own. It usually skips gear two all together and smoothly shifts back to 1 automatically.

If this is what rev matching is all about, then I think its safe to say that the rev matching feature in the 05+ G should help smoothen out the shift a little bit more than the early model year Gs .

This is vital information because not too much info is posted if any at all between the effects of any shift kits on each G coupe/Z model year from 03-07+

And no one's compiled a thread yet reporting how their Transgo kit or any other shift reprogramming kit works/shifts in comparison to the different model year G/Zs.

I'm willing to try this out on my G and will order one in the next two weeks. I'd like to either install it myself (doesn't look too hard) or worst case find someone local to do it since I don't want to be w/o access to my car for a week or more.

Thanks for your help

Old 02-11-2010, 12:02 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mike, if you get this kit before I do and need help, let me know and I'll gladly swing by sometime and help you do it. since you know both you and I are looking to get this done.

I'm actually glad you talked about this. In my 05, it doesn't clunk unless i'm upshifting from 2 and then 3 if I try to shift too quickly at the wrong point.

I used to do that alot when I first got the car because I didn't understand how to shift properly.

Now I never get clunks whether I upshift or downshift.

In fact, when driving, I tend to shift down to 3 (if I'm in higher gears) and let the car shift back to 1 on its own. It usually skips gear two all together and smoothly shifts back to 1 automatically.

If this is what rev matching is all about, then I think its safe to say that the rev matching feature in the 05+ G should help smoothen out the shift a little bit more than the early model year Gs .

This is vital information because not too much info is posted if any at all between the effects of any shift kits on each G coupe/Z model year from 03-07+

And no one's compiled a thread yet reporting how their Transgo kit or any other shift reprogramming kit works/shifts in comparison to the different model year G/Zs.

I'm willing to try this out on my G and will order one in the next two weeks. I'd like to either install it myself (doesn't look too hard) or worst case find someone local to do it since I don't want to be w/o access to my car for a week or more.

Thanks for your help

The following users liked this post:
MightyG35 (02-02-2013)
Old 02-11-2010, 12:12 AM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by TofuProductions
Mike, if you get this kit before I do and need help, let me know and I'll gladly swing by sometime and help you do it. since you know both you and I are looking to get this done.
Jeff, I'll keep u posted for sure! I can't wait. I actually was out driving tonight visualizing how much quicker the shifts will be.

I don't think it will be too hard especially taking time, keeping everything clean and going slooooowwww. I think it'll be worth the experience to install it ourselves

Old 02-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
Jeff, I'll keep u posted for sure! I can't wait. I actually was out driving tonight visualizing how much quicker the shifts will be.

I don't think it will be too hard especially taking time, keeping everything clean and going slooooowwww. I think it'll be worth the experience to install it ourselves
do it together the same weekend along with before and after vids of both cars if possible.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dsskyline
do it together the same weekend along with before and after vids of both cars if possible.
Will do, I don't think right now is applicable though, much too cold for that.
Mike just keep me posted, since this is definitely the next mod I want to do.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What exactly does the Transgo Shift Kit do? HP? TQ?

Old 04-18-2011, 05:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by or_G
What exactly does the Transgo Shift Kit do? HP? TQ?
Quicker, firmer, and crisper shifts

Old 04-21-2011, 04:52 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bboynicku
Quicker, firmer, and crisper shifts
Anyone got any links to reputable sites that well this shift kit?

Old 04-21-2011, 06:17 AM
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
Old 04-21-2011, 11:06 AM
If you want it done for you, you can send GTM your valvebody and they'll install and improve on it
http://www.gtmotorsports.com/product...cat=262&page=2

Or just the kit itself
http://www.gtmotorsports.com/product...cat=262&page=3

Old 04-27-2011, 07:28 AM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
+1 for summit. I got mine from them too- took about a week to get up here. Price was reasonable. Had it in for about 6 months and love it. Im getting my trans built by IPT so it might be further modified or they'll leave it in. Not exactly clear on it yet.

I know the shop that did my transgo also recommended a tranny fluid cooler. They stated that the stock design is very inefficient. It didn't cost much to add in at that point- I think all in was a couple hundred extra dollars. Took the guys most of the day to do the full install. Thinking back knowing I had no worries about the tranny overheating was more than worth the additional cost. I didnt track the car throughout that time but still well worth it for the hot days and those pesky mini vans with soccer moms who want to race (or get away from you- whichever.)

The prices I was seeing earlier in the thread are accurate. I was 250 to buy, about 700 for the install of everything and the 100 bucks or so for the cooler.

Last edited by Eno; 04-27-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:46 PM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
+1 on a larger, aftermarket ATF cooler. Its a good idea to keep the stock cooler integrated into the system, however, particularly if you are in a cold climate (heat up AT fluid quicker) or get stuck in traffic a lot (cooling benefits when there is little flow to the aftermarket cooler).

Old 04-27-2011, 10:00 PM
I had the shop install a B&M Tranny Cooler while they were at it with the transgo

Been lovin it

Old 04-30-2011, 05:35 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
^Where in norcal did you get it installed at?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Transgo Shift Kit