Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

hacking ATTESSA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 09:50 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
hacking ATTESSA

Reading all these reviews of the GT-R has really challenged some of my fundamental ideas about what it takes to make a car handle. I had always thought of curb weight as being the main determinant of the performance ceiling regardless of suspension type and hp. But, somehow the AWD system implemented by Nissan has overcome the GT-R's weight of 3800 lbs to produce a car that has lapped faster than the usual performance stalwarts that weigh significantly less. Recently, I went through the service manual for the GT-R. Unfortunately, it can't be downloaded like the g35 and 350z manuals. From what I can remember the GT-R utilizes an open front diff and 1.5 way rear LSD. The schematics for the center diff looked identical to the G35x unit. They are both driven by a demand current applied via a 2 wire connection to the control clutch that proportionally determines how much torque to send to the front diff from 0% to 50%. All this seems to imply that the only difference between the 2 systems is the rear LSD and awd controller which for the G35x seems to only look at wheel speed to determine where torque needs to go and for the GT-R seems to look at lat/long G and yaw sensors.

So my question: has anybody tried implementing their own controller or wired a simple circuit to a cockpit **** or lever on the g35x? Perhaps the guys at function tuned should try that on their awd 350z.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone know how much that awd 350z conversion actually was?