Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Am I having a Transmission issue or is it just the COLD weather?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 02:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same problem with my 04 6mt. Took it to the dealer...and ofcourse said they cant replicate the problem. I got the tranny fluid and diff fluid changed at the dealer around 48XXX, the car has about 58XXX now. It annoys me to no ends sometimes.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by fast04G
I had the same problem with my 04 6mt. Took it to the dealer...and ofcourse said they cant replicate the problem. I got the tranny fluid and diff fluid changed at the dealer around 48XXX, the car has about 58XXX now. It annoys me to no ends sometimes.
Did you get the fluid changed before or after you noticed the noise?

Old 12-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Talked to a buddy of mine and he knows cars pretty well. He said it sounds like the symptom I'm referring to of the tea kettle like noise might be the throw out bearing. That makes sense to me. Does anyone else think that could be the case? If that's what it is I am less concerned than I would be if it were an internal component of the transmission itself. I guess this type of thing is much harder for us to self diagnose and I should just rely on the dealer to look into it. Anyway, just wanted to put that theory out there.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm having the same problem. I replaced all the fluids thinking it was the cause but nothing changed. Going into first and second in the cold morning is a struggle, and I live in the west coast so its not that cold. But the sound is exactly like wind rushing not quite whistling, more like woooooooo. The first time it happened I thought there was a big gust of wind but no trees were moving and I was only going ten miles an hour. I'm taking it to the dealer this week. Wish me luck.

Originally Posted by joe603
Does it make a really low pitched whistle sound...kindof like wind rushing? My tranny did the same thing as your's did, started to act up in the cold weather. Took it to the dealer and now they are replacing the transmission! They said it was a problem with the synchros...

Old 12-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I would end up "freezing" my car in first when I was in Alaska and had a MT but I would just let the car warm up before I even tried to take it out of gear.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:36 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 03dgcoupe
I thought i lost fifth gear once. I would have to push the clutch in while holding it shift into sixth gear then back into fifth. Took it to the dealership and it turned out to be a bolt that had come loose. Got it back and it felt great. The whine from the 6mt is always there as far as i read. Mine does the same thing until it warms up.
By any chance did they tell you what bolt this was? My shifter feels kinda loose and having a hard time getting it to 5th; it's not that it won't engage;I simply can't literally seem to get to it..

Anyone else had this problem? I'm not an expert but some people have said its the synchros going out but I haven't had any issues up until this week; however my shifter has been feeling loser as time has gone by. I'm really crappin bricks becaues this is my daily driver and I can't afford a new tranny right now.