Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Am I having a Transmission issue or is it just the COLD weather?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Am I having a Transmission issue or is it just the COLD weather?

I own a 2005 M6 coupe with 63,000km (about 36,000 miles) and when I start to drive my car the first 5 minutes it seems like I am fighting with my car to get it into second gear. Once I get it into second gear everything else is fine. I also here this whistling wind noise when I drive the car but when my car is warm I can get into second gear with no issues and the whistling wind noise is gone.

It's hard to get into second gear cause it is stiff when cold and I hear it grinding my gears when shifting.

I've already had my tranny and rear diff oil changed at the 50,000km mark. Is it that my fluid is frozen that is causing this stiffness when shifting when the car is not warm? I drove my car last winter and this was not an issue. Only thing different this time around is that I replaced the tranny/rear diff oil. I baby my car so I dont race it nor do I abuse the car and I been driving manual for over 12 years now.

Is this the cold weather with the new oil or is this a problem with my tranny???

Thoughts and suggestions please.

https://g35driver.com/forums/canada/...cond-gear.html

Thanks

Old 12-01-2008, 10:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ive been having the same thing occur. I think its normal as its occured in every MT car ive owned. The gear oil just needs to heat up to operating temp to perform at optimum

Old 12-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
My tranny is really notchy until it warms up.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:22 PM
Just went to grab some coffee and now my driver side window is having issues coming back up. If I roll it all the way down it has trouble coming back up. If I roll it down a little it comes backup with no issues. Seems like the motor needs to be changed now. One thing always leads to another with my car.

sigh...

Last edited by white_gts; 12-01-2008 at 11:40 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Is it possible that by switching to a quality synthetic tranny fluid you wouldn't have this issue, that's what I'd try....!
Gary

Old 12-01-2008, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
Is it possible that by switching to a quality synthetic tranny fluid you wouldn't have this issue, that's what I'd try....!
Gary
I've got my oil from the dealer. I bought 3 bottles of Quaker State 75w90 and 2 bottles of Penzoil oil for the Rear Diff.

https://g35driver.com/forums/canada/...state-wtf.html

Old 12-01-2008, 11:51 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by white_gts
I've got my oil from the dealer. I bought 3 bottles of Quaker State 75w90 and 2 bottles of Penzoil oil for the Rear Diff.

https://g35driver.com/forums/canada/...state-wtf.html
White_gts, doesn't sound like synthetic....so you'll be using the same stuff
that came in your car or maybe even with less quality. If I were having your
issues I go on line and find a quality synthetic lubricant like Red Line for
the trans/diff. not Penzoil....
Gary

Old 12-02-2008, 12:06 AM
Gary
Yes I would be using the same stuff or atleast the same grade as per Infiniti. From what I read and what I was told you can only use one type of oil for our cars. And if we don't then our warranty will be void. Thats why I stuck with the dealers oil. I don't think you can use any type of oil cause if I had the choice I would be picking a much better brand. Which brand and grade did you use?

Old 12-02-2008, 09:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gary
im using Amsoil and did in the previous cars as well. all happen to be nissans so quality of the lubricant isnt an issue, it was changed right before october both diff and the transfluid

Old 12-03-2008, 10:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does it make a really low pitched whistle sound...kindof like wind rushing? My tranny did the same thing as your's did, started to act up in the cold weather. Took it to the dealer and now they are replacing the transmission! They said it was a problem with the synchros...

Old 12-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Does it sound like a tea kettle? I have something like that too. I also didn't notice the sound last winter and have had the fluid changed at the dealer just a few months ago. It seems like it must be the synchros because it happens when in gear or out of gear, clutch in or out. The only thing I could think were synnchros or diff, but i think it is synchros because it will react to depressing the clutch and putting the car in gear and taking it out, the noise slightly changes or stops when I do that. I wonder if the oil they put in on the fill was incorrect?

Old 12-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by joe603
Does it make a really low pitched whistle sound...kindof like wind rushing? My tranny did the same thing as your's did, started to act up in the cold weather. Took it to the dealer and now they are replacing the transmission! They said it was a problem with the synchros...

I have heard this has been diagnosed as normal in certain cases. It surely doesn't sound normal to me, but the weirdest thing is my shifting is not terribly notchy. I wonder if the synchros are just not getting proper lubrication.

Last edited by GeeDawg01; 12-04-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:54 PM
This started to happen after the dealer replenished my trans fluid a while back...I thought that they may have improperly adjusted something because they also replaced the slave cylinder (again).

I've been using Infiniti of South Atlanta: http://www.atlantainfiniti.com/

It's in Union City, GA.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
I thought i lost fifth gear once. I would have to push the clutch in while holding it shift into sixth gear then back into fifth. Took it to the dealership and it turned out to be a bolt that had come loose. Got it back and it felt great. The whine from the 6mt is always there as far as i read. Mine does the same thing until it warms up.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:36 PM
Here's another thread discussing the same problems...it seems our tranny has issues.

http://forums.g35club.org/zerothread/387809

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Am I having a Transmission issue or is it just the COLD weather?